iphone use onboard?

LakeGoddess

Wow these boards are full of great information! I've been reading tons to prepare for my first cruise in March (Carnival Triumph 5 days from New Orleans to Cozumel and Progreso). I'm taking my daughter as a present for her 21st birthday.

I've booked a beach day in Cozumel and planning to go to Merida for sightseeing/shopping when we are in Progreso. I prepaid the tips. I've bought a bunch of drink and soda coupons just to spread out the cost a bit. And I've started my packing list based on the recommendations here!

Is it possible to use an iphone while at sea? I don't necessarily want to make calls (I've seen warnings about outrageous international charges)but can I use it for internet? Email? Text messaging? I can't imagine going 5 days without communicating with my husband at least a few times!

Will it work just to be able to use it as my clock/alarm?

Thanks!

Cozumel has internet cafe right at the port, free if you buy coffee.

I walk to the left .. go to the bridge and use their cafe for $2 an hour.

I dont have the rates for your phone .. assuming you turned on International and all. roaming cant hit you if you dont have it turned to airplane mode. Make sure its in airplane mode.

You will pay alot to use the phone on board, and international rates in Mexico. Be careful, because if you don't leave in Airlplane mode the phone will look for email, etc even when you turn it off.

Check with AT&T about upgrading your data package to an international package. I have a Droid 2 (Verizon) and am able to upgrade to an international plan for the time I am on the cruise. My normal plan is $39 and the international plan is $69. It is even prorated so when I get back I cancel it and am only charged for the days I had it. I am able to use email unlimited with that plan. Again, I have Verizon and a global phone, but check with AT&T, I would think they have something similar.

Does anyone know if you can you send text messages in airplane mode?

No you can not. A text message cost .50 from the ship. Check out this link:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp

they have an entire section on using there plans on a cruise ship. They also have the numbers to call to activate the plans and ask questions. Enoy your trip.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/popups/international-passport.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-004L0O-0-1

Now you can stay in touch with family and friends even while you are on your cruise at sea*. With AT&T, customers can save money by signing up for the Cruise Ship Passport package prior to setting sail.

For just $35 a month, the package provides the following services while on the cruise ship's cellular network:

• 15 minutes of voice

• 15 messages sent (text, picture and video)**

• Overage rates are $2.49/minute, $.50/text message sent, and $1.30/picture or video message sent.

*Service available on more than 140 cruise ships while on the "CellularatSEA" network. For a list of cruise ships visit: att.com/travelguide.

**Messages received while on the cruise ship will continue to be charged at your normal domestic rate.

To sign up for this package, please login to your AT&T wireless account at att.com/mywireless or call 1-916-843-4685

An international feature is not required to receive calls and place calls back to the U.S. while on board this cruise ship, however international roaming rates apply for all calls placed or received. If you will need to place calls to other international destinations while on board, you will need to have an international roaming or dialing feature added to your mobile.

I guess that means calling home to US is included but if you wanted to call a hotel while in Mexico then that would be international. Hope this helps.

My husband and I were on the Dream last June and made the mistake of using our cell phone when the ship was docking on upon our return to Port Canaveral. We were on the telephone less than 10 minutes and charges were $70.00 because our signal was using the ships tower instead of the mainland tower. We did purchase the internet time package during our cruise, however, the service was so slow most of our time was used in logging on and off.

You have to be careful with using the iPhone for internet. On my first cruise using my iPhone for that reason, I came home to a bill of over $700. When you use something like an iPhone or Blackberry, unless you turn off Data Roaming, the phone constantly keeps searching for email. Plus, using the phone for internet, you're going to pay a huge per minute fee upwards of $2.49 a minute. There have been some reports of people being surprised by coming home to phone charges of over $2000. So, be careful using any phone as an email or internet provider.

My husband and I were on the Dream last June and made the mistake of using our cell phone when the ship was docking on upon our return to Port Canaveral. We were on the telephone less than 10 minutes and charges were $70.00 because our signal was using the ships tower instead of the mainland tower. We did purchase the internet time package during our cruise, however, the service was so slow most of our time was used in logging on and off.

The ships are supposed to turn off their tower when they're in a certain distance from land. Make sure to double check your phone before you make a call to see where the signal is coming from.

Archived