What to Wear - French Coast in Summer

dolphinmar

We will be sailing on the Marina later this summer as she travels the coast of France - Honfleur, Pont Aven, St. Malo, La Rochelle, etc. I've searched lots of sites but am not getting anything specific about what to wear in town other than a basic black skirt.

Would folks who have been to these ports during July/August please share what they wore and what others wore? I'm not trying to look French but would like to not stick out as an obvious tourist. I'm mostly interested in what women are wearing. DH is going to do whatever he wants anyway. :)

Thanks very much!

Pam

We were in the south of France on Oceania last summer and it was hot. Basic black doesn't do it for me, too hot. 2 summers ago we were where you are going but driving..Shorts are not particularly popular anymore as far as I could see but neat linen capris, short denim skirts and tier skirts with colored tees would probably do the job as they seem cooler than pants.. Cities seem to be a catch all for clothing..Just look neat, put together and above all comfortable. A lot depends on your comfort level.

Dolphinmar,

If you are on the 10 Aug cruise, join us on the roll call. We have been chatting for months--starting to get excited. In summer in Europe, I usually wear capris or light weight long pants. Fine them easier to pack than skirts. Hope to see you on board. Pat

Hi Pacmom,

Thanks for the invite to join you on the roll call and for the fashion advice. We are on the cruise just before you. You'll be boarding as we are saying our sad farewells...

@LHT28 and @amer_can - thank you as well. Sounds like it will be capris and light weight slacks. I'm not really a skirt girl, other than for dinner, so am plenty happy now.

And I'm so happy to hear that it will be HOT. These Seattle winters are truly getting me down.

Yes, it can be warm to VERY HOT...We cruised the Med the summer of 2003--the hottest summer on record in the region...If you remember back to that year, they were reporting a good number of deaths due to heat in parts of France...Still, we had no problem...We dress for COMFORT rather than for fashion...

As others have said, forget "black"...cotton clothes with thin, comfortable fabrics...T shirts work...light colors...I'd go with variations on white, tan, beige...Bring water, sunscreen and a hat...

I really wouldn't worry about standing out as a tourist...You don't need to somehow dress wrong to do that...the fact that you've got a camera around your neck, you're following a tour guide, standing around gawking and pointing ...as well as the fact that you can't speak French like a local...will easily do that for you, no matter how you dress...

I also think they idea that all Frenchmen hate tourists is also overblown...just be polite, act with good manners, smile and say "Merci" where appropriate...

Just take it easy and worry about enjoying your vacation...not about what others are thinking...

Archived