Carnival Dream to go or not to go

HIPrincess

My husband and I have always travelled alone except with our kids. The "kids" are now older and married and one of them has asked us to go on the Carnival Dream with a group of their friends and my daughters in-laws which are lovely people.

The problem is is that we have always travelled on RCCL or Princess. I have always heard of trash talk about Carnival. Do I want to spend a week on a ship during hurricane season (ship leaves port 9-10) and be sorely disappointed we wasted our hard earned money for this? Someone in the group that arranged this is trying to get their status up on the cruise line(younger couple). Well so are we but not on this line.

I have read the reviews on the boards and the ship for the most part seems okay, but is that okay in Carnival standards or in RCCL standards or Princess standards. ANYONE done both and can expound upon this? TIA:confused:

By saying "Carnival standards vs RCCL and Princess Standards", I think you are already going into it without an open mind. If we did the same thing, I probably wouldn't have had the good time that I had on the Navigator. If you need the rock climbing wall, the ice skating, Johnny Rockets, etc, you may be disappointed. If you don't need those things, you are getting basically the same product.

there's nothing wrong with Carnival. if you really can't enjoy Carnival b/c it's not up to your standards, then your nose needs to come back down to earth. i'm not saying it's 'the best' out there, but many people have a great time and continue to go back

Having been on RCCL and Disney and Princess prior to going with Carnival, we had some second thoughts also. ( because of things written on Cruise Critic ) We enjoyed the Dream, have been on Miracle and are leaving Sunday on Freedom. Does that help answer your question ?

We have sailed RCCL 7 times, princess 2 times, once on Disney, NCL, Celebrity, plus some others in Europe. We are now platinum on Carnival. I can say they they really are fairly close and if enjoy one, you probably will enjoy them all. The only real difference we saw between any of the above mentioned cruises is that carnival does not have enrichment talks. Not a big deal for us. It is also slightly more casual if you want to be; which we prefer. Have an open mind and have fun.

I have been on RCCL and NCL 1 time, Disney line 7 times and CCL 5 times. All are considered mainstream cruise lines. Some things are done better than other lines for particular categories (food, nightlife, daytime activities, etc). I have had a great time on all the above cruise lines. My motto is it is better to be on a cruise than be at home. I think you will be fine.

I used to be a Disney line exclusive cruiser but switched to CCL sometimes because DCL prices have gone up too much, CCL is almost 50% less. My daughter ended up liking CCL better than Disney.

There is a perception that all one sees on CCL line is drunk adults. I found that all lines have adults drinking and having a good time. I have seen more adult drunk behavior on the Disney Cozumel stop more than the CCL stop.

I have sailed during hurricane season once and had perfect weather. I sailed in January once and said never again. It was cold, overcast, and rained 5 out of 7 days. The Mickey Mouse pool was closed because the waves were knocking down toddlers. The Goofy pool turned into a wave pool 3 days due to high winds.

If you move from Princess to Carnival, you will sacrifice the enrichment lecturers (but where was one on Emerald Princess?) but gain better food and much more comfortable beds. Haven't sailed RCCL but do love Celebrity. EM

Thanks for all your comments. As one poster indicated, my preconceived notions are from past posters that have "trashed" Carnival as the party ship with drunk 20 year olds running around acting immaturely. I don't want that environment at any price and haven't seen it for myself on any previous cruise I have taken.

But then my world only consisted of RCCL and Princess, and yes, I forgot, 2 Disney cruises. I am NOT a big party person and love the ocean and to sit by the pool and read, not see how punking drunk I can get like I have read happens on Carnival. I have also read that the standards are much lower in food, entertainment, staff treatment, etc. than RCCL and Princess. I appreciate everything that has been posted so far and look forward to many more comments to help us weigh in our decision. TIA:)

I found the food better on CCL than my 2 RCCL cruises, but the dining room service better on RCCL. That being said, give me good food. I don't need someone standing over me waiting for my water glass to empty. I think you will find CCL what you are looking for, just stay away from the 3,4,5 day cruises during spring break.

Thanks for all your comments. As one poster indicated, my preconceived notions are from past posters that have "trashed" Carnival as the party ship with drunk 20 year olds running around acting immaturely. I don't want that environment at any price and haven't seen it for myself on any previous cruise I have taken.

But then my world only consisted of RCCL and Princess, and yes, I forgot, 2 Disney cruises. I am NOT a big party person and love the ocean and to sit by the pool and read, not see how punking drunk I can get like I have read happens on Carnival. I have also read that the standards are much lower in food, entertainment, staff treatment, etc. than RCCL and Princess. I appreciate everything that has been posted so far and look forward to many more comments to help us weigh in our decision. TIA:)

You're just as likely to find a "party atmosphere" on a three night Royal Caribbean cruise as you are on a three night Carnival cruise. Typically, the shorter the cruise, the younger the passenger. We have not run into excessive drunks on any of our seven night or longer cruises.

In our experience, the food has been better on Carnival. One of our best dining room waiters was on Royal Caribbean, but our absolute WORST cabin steward was also on that same cruise. The two lines are more alike than they are different. The main difference we've found is in the ship decor. Royal Caribbean looks more elegant, Carnival loolks more fun. We're Platinum on Carnival and prefer it over Royal Caribbean, but wouldn't rule out future cruises. I find it somewhat amusing when people have preconceived ideas and think Royal Caribbean is so much better than Carnival, when in reality they're not that different. Carnival doesn't have rock climbing walls or ice skating rinks, but that isn't something we're interested in and not why we cruise.

We really enjoyed the Dream!

We also really enjoyed the NOS!!

The Grand Princess was also enjoyed!!

It's a cruise the only way it can be bad is if you decide it is going to be bad. (and even then your still not working!!)

I think you just need to decide if you want to go on a cruise to where it is going, who you will be with, and if the price is right. Don't worry so much about if it is Carnival, RCCI ect. ENJOY!!

We have sailed on Dream and many RCI ships. The ships of RCI are far more beautiful than those of Carnival. The food on Carnival is better than on RCI. There are also more choices of locations for lunches on Dream than on any RCI ship.

I haven't seen people drunk on either ship except during college spring break. I also believe that the cruises are more alike than different.

I am more concerned with your negativity to Carnival and it doesn't appear to me that you would be going on Dream with an open attitude. It seems to me that you would be wasting your money. I'm sure if any minor thing happened, it would be "See, I knew this would happen" or something similar. Go on one of your preferred lines and enjoy!

I have only seen that once (and a fight) .....on RCL LOL. :rolleyes:

Since we have been on both RCL and CCL, they are pretty much the same and both have their pluses and minuses. Personally, I think the food on CCL was a tad better. I don't do buffets, but from what I saw, the food was comparable. I love the Supper Clubs CCL (well worth the $30 pp up charge). I like Johnny Rockets and the Rock climbing walls on RCL. Service on both is comparable, but the stewards on CCL have been more accessable and cabins are bigger on CCL. Entertainment is similar as well, especially the stage shows.

You will have a good time and I am pretty sure you will enjoy your cruise.

We've sailed Carnival 9 times, RCCL 5 and Princess once. The worst behavior I've ever seen on a cruise was by sober people on Princess! We find RCCL to be very close to the experience on Carnival. My issue with RCCL is that if you are not Diamond (their Platinum) you feel like a second class citizen. Carnival is subtle about their program whereas RCCL is very blatant about areas that are for Diamond members only. My parents are Diamond and I know that dollar for dollar I have spent double what they have on our 5 cruises than they've paid for their 10 so it irks me that everywhere you go there are signs "reserved for Diamond members".

Go with an open mind and enjoy the group you are with.

I haven't sailed other cruise lines, so I can't comment on the differences.

But I have sailed the Dream, and the Glory, and I can tell you that I have NOT seen people stumbling drunk on either ship. We take our teenage daughters with us, and would NOT do that more than once if we saw that kind of behavior. We found the atmosphere to be family-friendly, as is the price. And we also did not see gangs of teens roaming freely on the ships, though we usually sail at a time when most kids are in school, so there aren't that many on board to start with.

Save your money and stick with your cruise lines of choice. From the comments you've posted you seem pretty convinced that Carnival isn't for you, so go with your gut before it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, especially when you're honest with yourself about how you came across it.

If you do decide to go on the Carnival Dream, please go with an open mind and enjoy Carnival for what it offers.

I remember reading a review where they stated that they were disappointed with the food on the Lido and "gave the nod" to RCCL. You know why? Because on every RCCL cruise she always ate one specific dish on embarkation and Carnival didn't offer it (I think it was a chinese dish - all I remember is it was very specific like beef with peppers and black bean sauce or something). She totally overlooked the fact that the Dream had the Pasta bar, the burrito bar, the mongolian wok, the Indian tandoor, burgers, etc.

She didn't like the Carnival Dream Lido food because it didn't offer this one specific dish. I just didn't understand that?

Both Carnival and RCCL have their cheerleaders and their detractors. They both offer a good product or they wouldn't be as sucessful as they are. Don't go on Carnival expecting it to be exactly like RCCL though because it's not.

The cruise lines are more alike than different. A lot of your experience comes from an open mind AND how much you enjoy the people you are traveling with. My favorite two ships so are are Jewel of the Seas and Carnival Dream. If you do go on the Dream and enjoy pasta, be sure to check out the pasta bar. It was great! Entertainment is almost the same as far as evening shows. No ice rinks or rock walls on Carnival but the water slides are fun.

You need to make your decision on the things that are most important to you. If you are too worried about your experience on Carnival, you might spend time looking for problems, even subconciously.

Even if you and I were on the same ship at the same time, our backgrounds and tastes might make the experience totally different. If it were me, I would take the chance. I have been on 4 Royal and 5 or 6 Carnival cruises and 1 Disney. The experience really depends on you.

Let us know what you decide.

We took 9 cruises on Princess and RCCL before we tried Carnival...our fourth Carnival is coming up in March.

I don't think there are great differences between the three. The cruise experience is quite similar. Make sure you go with an open mind, and don't expect everything to be just like you're used to.

I'd cruise any of them at any time...yes, there are things I like and dislike about all of them, but bad food and behavior hasn't been my experience on Carnival at all.

My husband and I have always travelled alone except with our kids. The "kids" are now older and married and one of them has asked us to go on the Carnival Dream with a group of their friends and my daughters in-laws which are lovely people.

The problem is is that we have always travelled on RCCL or Princess. I have always heard of trash talk about Carnival. Do I want to spend a week on a ship during hurricane season (ship leaves port 9-10) and be sorely disappointed we wasted our hard earned money for this? Someone in the group that arranged this is trying to get their status up on the cruise line(younger couple). Well so are we but not on this line.

I have read the reviews on the boards and the ship for the most part seems okay, but is that okay in Carnival standards or in RCCL standards or Princess standards. ANYONE done both and can expound upon this? TIA:confused:

I have been on the Serenade of the Seas, the Mariner of the Seas along with a bunch of Carnival ships. Including the Dream. Here is my take on it.

Royal offers better service at their lido buffet than Carnival. Carnival food is good, and I think a better variety.

Carnival doesn't have an ice rink, rock climbing wall, or Johnny rockets, but I never used any of those anyway. Although I must say it is pretty fun to watch the rock climbing wall activity.

The Dream is a wonderful ship. In fact, it is my favorite ship now. My favorite used to be the Mariner, but only until I sailed the Dream.

I think you will find people on Carnival are, for the most part, really friendly, where on the RCCL ships I have sailed on the people were kind of "to themselves".

I think if you go with an open mind, and do not compare, you will have a great time. I think your biggest problem will be the time of year, and the group you are sailing with. It is pretty hard to wrangle everyone to do the same thing at the same time when you are with a group. You know, the typical "what do you want to do?, I don't know what do you want to do? thing.

Make an agreement that everyone does their own thing, and if your paths meet, then great. If not, thats fine too.

Give the dream a try. If you were asking about the Ecstacy or the Pride, then I would tell you there is no comparrison, but the Dream will be great!

Thanks for everyone's comments and understanding where I am coming from. Yes, I agree, I need to go with an open mind or I would taint the cruise experience from the beginning. The cruise is in September and I have travelled during hurricane season before but not in the prime time, only in October both times. I am not as concerned about that as the possibility of getting stuck on the wrong ship. I think that I will read more of the member reviews (all of which have been quite fabulous). I will post later what we end up doing. My husband is already in for going and would do anything at any time. I have to be the one to slow him down and think through this a bit. Thanks again and I have a better comfort level from all your personal comments.:)

Yes, jandjfun. I totally understand the what do you want to do thing. My husband and I love travelling alone and this would be a different experience. I told him too that since we have already visited all the ports and would want to relax and that this is our vacation too that I would not want to have to do everything everyone else wants to do.

Yes, the Dream is what they are thinking of going on to the Eastern Caribbean.

Thanks for your input.:)

Those 20 year olds drinking crazy are usually on the 3-4 day cruises.

Mostly because that is all they can afford. If guys that age are

on a seven day cruise, it is more then likely their parents are

paying for it and are also with them, so they are much better behaved..

Have been on NCL and CCL, found them to be similar and

always had a great time..

I did not find that much difference between the Princess and the Carnival experience. The people seemed to be more or less the same, food not that different. We don't do lot of on-ship activities so that might differ some. Only show I have seen was on Princess and it was rather awful.

Archived