Booking Excursions with credits?

Placerville

Through a miracle, my travel agent was able to get a $1000 onboard credit for my wife and myself for an upcoming cruise (Panama Canal). She was told by Azamara that we could not use our credit to book shore excursions on line, but must wait until onboard. Why?? :confused:

Through a miracle, my travel agent was able to get a $1000 onboard credit for my wife and myself for an upcoming cruise (Panama Canal). She was told by Azamara that we could not use our credit to book shore excursions on line, but must wait until onboard. Why?? :confused:

That is a huge OBC. Congrats. Why is it a miracle? Was this the promotional OBC (I thought last year) that Azamara was offering for some of its Caribbean and Mexican sailings? Is this a new last minute booking?

Azamara, Celebrity, & HAL always require you to book and pay in full in advance for any shore excursions. I guess the question is whether they can be refunded and re-booked once onboard. Paying in advance is the only way to guarantee availability.

I think Azamara needs to evaluate this policy in light of the fact they are having promotions with up to $1,000.00 OBC. They don't have as much opportunity as the mass market lines to spend this much on-board.

Enjoy your cruise.

Azamara and Celebrity do not letnyounuse credits to purchase excursions in advance. They must be paid fornwith a credit card. We have traveled on Azamara three times now, next week will be number 4. We have a 500.00 OBC and willnbook excursions when we board. We have never had a problem to date with a desired excursion being sold out.

This is our third cruise with Azamara. We booked 6 months in advance; paid in full. It was a "miracle" because my travel agent happened to see another sailing which offered a $1000 credit, and asked "Why not this cruise, and why not us?" I still do not understand why, if I can use this credit once I set foot onboard, I cannot use it 2 weeks in advance?

This is our third cruise with Azamara. We booked 6 months in advance; paid in full. It was a "miracle" because my travel agent happened to see another sailing which offered a $1000 credit, and asked "Why not this cruise, and why not us?" I still do not understand why, if I can use this credit once I set foot onboard, I cannot use it 2 weeks in advance?

Which date?

My cruise date is 1/30/11. The credit was not from an outside agent, but rather given by Azamara.

Well I guess that was a miracle because I don't see the 1,000 OBC credit promoton listed for that date.

Is this a new boking that was just made in the past week?

I had $3000 OBC (two rooms) on our recent trip to the Panama Canal, and wnated to book a private tour in costa Rica, which I had to do in advance by credit card., which did cause a lot of discussions Azamara beforehand. All the other excursions though were wide open on the ship, two even got canceled for lack of proper numbers (which azamara should not accept) . the good news was the credits paid for all the excursions, family spa treatments,great wines every night, extra tips for the staff and my decent bar bills, internet use at will. We had a truly all inclusive Azamara Club experience. Three cheers for OBC.

Westmount

I had $3000 OBC (two rooms) on our recent trip to the Panama Canal, and wnated to book a private tour in costa Rica, which I had to do in advance by credit card., which did cause a lot of discussions Azamara beforehand. All the other excursions though were wide open on the ship, two even got canceled for lack of proper numbers (which azamara should not accept) . the good news was the credits paid for all the excursions, family spa treatments,great wines every night, extra tips for the staff and my decent bar bills, internet use at will. We had a truly all inclusive Azamara Club experience. Three cheers for OBC.

Westmount

So, you booked a private excursion through Azamara? How was that worked out in advance so that the tour operator knew where you wanted to go? I would be interested in hearing because I do not know anyone who has ever booked a private driver through the ship.

So, are you saying they refunded your credit card once on-board and let you use the OBC for the private Shore Excursion?

I'm assuming (at least for the Europe 2011 promotions with $500.00 OBC and 50% off ShoreX booked in advance), Azamara's goal is for you not to use the OBC for Shore Excursions. They want to make additional revenues from selling the Shore Excursions.

$1,500.00 OBC per cabin, wow.

I don't think it was so much wow as much as I booed last august and booked my own flights down to Miami etc. People who booked later had some sort of flight special and got their drinks for free, so I guess it's a way for Azamara to keep the fare always the same, and see what will draw the most people and perception of a deal. as for the excursion, yes, you certainly can book a private tour with azamara directly, which protects you in case of a delay returning, plus you know your operator is a good one. We were four people, so the cost of our day in Costa Rica was not much higher than the regular excursion, and we had a van going up the rain forest mountain rather than the bus from hell trying to make that trip.

we had to book it in advance, no credit given, but I didn't ask on board if we could book a private excursion (they ask 30 days advance booking) which they probably would try and arrange if asked. Generally, if you go to the excursion staff early on your trip, I doubt you would ever have a problem getting a spot on an excursion, as popularity would only lead to a bigger bus, extra van, and happy local business. I think it's more the reverse, as they worry about low attendance, and then might have to cancel if numbers don't warrant.

Regent doesn't charge for excursions, but then it's $10k to travel, book the best cruise you can find, get as many extras included, get to the gym every day, it's a must.

I don't think it was so much wow as much as I booed last august and booked my own flights down to Miami etc. People who booked later had some sort of flight special and got their drinks for free, so I guess it's a way for Azamara to keep the fare always the same, and see what will draw the most people and perception of a deal. as for the excursion, yes, you certainly can book a private tour with azamara directly, which protects you in case of a delay returning, plus you know your operator is a good one. We were four people, so the cost of our day in Costa Rica was not much higher than the regular excursion, and we had a van going up the rain forest mountain rather than the bus from hell trying to make that trip.

we had to book it in advance, no credit given, but I didn't ask on board if we could book a private excursion (they ask 30 days advance booking) which they probably would try and arrange if asked. Generally, if you go to the excursion staff early on your trip, I doubt you would ever have a problem getting a spot on an excursion, as popularity would only lead to a bigger bus, extra van, and happy local business. I think it's more the reverse, as they worry about low attendance, and then might have to cancel if numbers don't warrant.

Regent doesn't charge for excursions, but then it's $10k to travel, book the best cruise you can find, get as many extras included, get to the gym every day, it's a must.

Westmount, OK, thanks for the info. So, you booked early, paid for your flights and than Azamara offered Free Flights (and drinks). But, your flights were non-refundable is my guess. This is the same issue that we are having, but instead of "Free Flights" the promo is $1,000.00 off per person ($2,000.00 per stateroom) on the cruise fare, once you book your flights through the Choice Air booking tool (most cruises are $500.00 off per person).

It sounds like you received $750.00 OBC per person ($1,500.00 per stateroom/$3,000.00 total) instead of the "Free Air". Good to know.

The Panama Canal trip started in Miami and ended in San Diego, so I was more concerned about getting the flights "I" wanted and not the flights they might want to send me on. I think we got a pretty good price for the cruise as well, and of course least minute deals for those who get them are great as long as you want to roll the dice on space availability and room selection. I don't have that luxury when booking family trips. In the end I had an all inclusive cruise, the way I like it, the flights i wanted, the suite i wanted, and my kids three doors down. Did i tell you what a great time we had BECAUSE of all of the above.

I keep waiting for Ardvil to knock on my door with three trays of breakfast every morning now and instead I have to go downstairs and make toast, yuck!

The takeaway from this thread (besides the fact that Shore Excursions can not be booked in advanced with OBC), is if you book through an outside agent, they are better able to resolve issues for clients who booked early and were thereby going to miss out on Free Air (or Choice Air promo) or OBC or a combination. The Kansas city call center does not seem to be doing anything for those booked directly through the cruise line.

Let an outside agent deal with these issues that will continue to occur as long as Azamara is not guaranteeing the best deals to those who book early.

=========

"Old January 17th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Cool Cruiser

Default Booking Excursions with credits?

Through a miracle, my travel agent was able to get a $1000 onboard

credit for my wife and myself for an upcoming cruise (Panama Canal).

Old January 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM

Cool Cruiser

This is our third cruise with Azamara. We booked 6 months in advance;

paid in full. It was a "miracle" because my travel agent happened to

see another sailing which offered a $1000 credit, and asked "Why not

this cruise, and why not us?"

Cool Cruiser

Default going going gone

I had $3000 OBC (two rooms) on our recent trip to the Panama Canal,

and wnated to book a private tour in costa Rica, which I had to do in

advance by credit card., which did cause a lot of discussions Azamara

beforehand.

Westmount

Cool Cruiser

Cool wow with explantation

I don't think it was so much wow as much as I booed last august and

booked my own flights down to Miami etc. People who booked later had

some sort of flight special and got their drinks for free, so I guess

it's a way for Azamara to keep the fare always the same, and see what

will draw the most people and perception of a deal.

Cool Cruiser

Cool let's make a deal

The Panama Canal trip started in Miami and ended in San Diego, so I

was more concerned about getting the flights "I" wanted and not the

flights they might want to send me on. I think we got a pretty good

price for the cruise as well, and of course least minute deals for

those who get them are great as long as you want to roll the dice on

space availability and room selection. I don't have that luxury when

booking family trips. In the end I had an all inclusive cruise, the

way I like it, the flights i wanted, the suite i wanted, and my kids

three doors down. Did i tell you what a great time we had BECAUSE of

all of the above."

• 3 weeks later...
Does anybody know if we can book the 1/2 price tours once we are on the ship using OBC or is this an online option only? We are getting the OBC from our travel agent.

Hi Onthebalcony !

My understanding is, it's an online offer only, and you must book your excursions by 3/31/11.

Please see this page on Azamara's website for more details : http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/shoreExcursions/home.do?cS=NAVBAR

Enjoy your Cruise !

Andy:

The wording in the AZ web page you link up with is confusing! My understanding is that you must BOOK the cruise by March 31, 2011. I thought that the half price shorex can be booked at anytime up to 4 days prior to the cruise sail date IF the cruise is booked by March 31.

For some cruises in December, 2011, for example, the shorex may not even be available on line until after March 31. This is my interpretation of the offer, so you might want to confirm which interpretation is correct. Thanks.

Allyurwishes

To reply to the question re shore excursions being purchased onboard or online:

Shore excursions that qualify for the 50% off must be booked online. The regular prices are shown, however, when you 'check out' and make your payment the 50% amounts will be shown. When this promotion was offered there were applicable dates to this offer. I don't believe that sailings into December were part of this offer. Perhaps the dates have been extended. A quick phone call to Azamara could clarify all of this for you. Good luck.

This is the response I got from Azamara about the 1/2 price tours:

Unfortunately, Land Discoveries will need to be booked by March 31, 2011 to receive the 50% off rate. Any Land Discoveries booked after March 31, 2011 will be at the full rate regardless if they are booked on-line or onboard ship.

This is confusing because as Ally stated above you had to be booked by March 31, 2011.

Andy:

The wording in the AZ web page you link up with is confusing! My understanding is that you must BOOK the cruise by March 31, 2011. I thought that the half price shorex can be booked at anytime up to 4 days prior to the cruise sail date IF the cruise is booked by March 31.

For some cruises in December, 2011, for example, the shorex may not even be available on line until after March 31. This is my interpretation of the offer, so you might want to confirm which interpretation is correct. Thanks.

Allyurwishes

Hi Allyurwishes !

I'm highly confident that 3/31/11 is the last day to book the 1/2 price excursions offer. I realize this is not the answer you are hoping for, but as with any promotion offered by any Cruise Line, they reserve the right to end or limit a promotion.

This is only my opinion, but it's possible the demand was so great, that it accomplished what Azamara hoped for. This could be why Azamara is not planning to extend the promotion beyond 3/31.

Andy;

Thanks for that clarification. We are going with your understanding - discretion being the better part of valour!

It just seems strange that we are booked on the Journey for Aug. 17, don't have to fully pay for the cruise until mid-May, but to get 50% off the shorex we must book and pay before March 31. I guess it's just not how WE usually do it.

All the best.

Allyurwishes

Andy;

Thanks for that clarification. We are going with your understanding - discretion being the better part of valour!

It just seems strange that we are booked on the Journey for Aug. 17, don't have to fully pay for the cruise until mid-May, but to get 50% off the shorex we must book and pay before March 31. I guess it's just not how WE usually do it.

All the best.

Allyurwishes

You just have to have a deposit on a cruise to pay for shore excursions. The cruise does not have to be paid in full. Is the issue that your shore excursions are not out yet?

Did anyone make a copy of the promo for European sailings in 2011 that they can post? I thought if you booked your cruise by March 31, 2011 you were entitled to 50% off on the land discoveries. I can not find the promo right now as the "Special Promotions" link at the bottom of the page is not working when I open the Azamara web site. Maybe someone else saved a copy.

Archived