Do you sleep with your cabin balcony door open?

lolalita

Does anyone else find it ironic that one of the ads at the top of the page is the RCCL "drafty windows" ad showing a couple on the balcony, with the door open?

Ha! I was going to say the same thing earlier. I have seen many ads from RCI over the years featuring people standing on a balcony with curtains blowing in the breeze!

I try to follow guidelines the same way as I follow rules, particularly those rules/guidelines that might impact other passengers.

It's one thing if leaving your balcony open only affects you (and your own air conditioning) but if it impacts other passenger's air conditioning and comfort, it doesn't seem right that people do as they please.

As such, I don't leave my balcony door open. :)

So following your logic here...

We can't walk down stairs, someone might trip and fall.

We can't swim in the pool - you might drown!

Don't eat anything, you might choke!

Why don't we all just wrap ourselves in bubble wrap? That way nothing bad can ever happen.

I am a smart enough person to turn the air up, make sure my door is shut and not keep a stack of papers by the balcony. When I leave my room, I shut the balcony door. When it starts raining, I shut my balcony door.

The truth is, there is very little or no actual danger when sleeping with your balcony door open if you are smart about it.

Actually, you didn't follow my logic at all, as I was only replying to someone who suggested that, if there is no warning sign, there is no danger. I never said anything about not being able to do anything. As you point out, there are dangers in many of the things we do every day. And with almost all of them, the danger is very little "if you are smart about it."

Anyway, my point was merely that lack of a warning sign does not mean no danger, but you apparently read much more into it.

I try to follow guidelines the same way as I follow rules, particularly those rules/guidelines that might impact other passengers.

It's one thing if leaving your balcony open only affects you (and your own air conditioning) but if it impacts other passenger's air conditioning and comfort, it doesn't seem right that people do as they please.

As such, I don't leave my balcony door open. :)

I feel the same way about someone smoking on the balcony next to me.

I was unintentionally locked out of my cabin once because of the balcony door being left open. It creates such a strong vacuum when trying to open the hallway door that I could not open it, nor could the room attendant and others who tried. My husband, who was on the balcony, couldn't hear the knocks on the door either. When we did finally all manage to pull it open, a picture actually flew off the wall because of the suction it caused. So for safety reasons, in case of emergency, I would tend to not leave it open at night either, even though it is nice to hear the waves.

It all depends if I am down wind from a smoker. I kept my balcony door closed whenever the smokers are out there. Smoking, of course, will be another entirely different debate. DW can still smell the second hand smoke long after the smokers are done with their habits.

To be honest, we have limited used of the balcony most of the time (smokers, weather etc) although we have balcony cabins most of the time. We love the balcony for the extra day light. The one time that we open the doors and used it a lot was on a Med criuse in October when the condition was perfect.

Security could be a concern as people can climb into your balcony and gain entrance through the open balcony door.

We have not left the balcony door open but we have always left the curtains open all the time for the extra day light. Regardless of what cruise lines, if we were gone from our cabin and left the curtains open, when we return, the curatins are always closed for us.

Choices choices...

Choose not loose.

Being considerate should also come into the equation .

A vortex is created when leaving the outer doors a jar/open.

Walk down any cabin/suite deck and hear that whistle.. By putting a towel over the bottom door crack will help quell the obnoxious sounds so others are not subjected to it.:D

We were on the Celebrity Infinity last September on a Panama Canal cruise. One morning we were having breakfast on our balcony, the balcony door was not fully open, but slightly open. We started hearing all sorts of beeping that we could not figure it out. We went into our cabin and realized our smoke detector was going off, as were many in other cabins. The attendants were going to these cabins to take down the detectors and reset them, and advise people to keep the balcony doors closed at all times. It appears it was so humid out, it set the alarms off. And there was no way to open the door to the cabin when the balcony door was open due to the wind it created. We learned a lesson then.

I agree with CARPECRUISING. We upgraded to a minisuite for my 60th birthday on NCL's Pearl in Alaska (Sept 12th 2010) and had a couple who chain smoked on the balcony forward of ours.:( This meant we could not open our door for most of the cruise. As a suggestion, I think all passengers should declare if they smoke at the time of booking and be allocated cabins at the rear of the ship so their smoke does'nt drift the full length of the ship. This should be adopted by all cruise lines as smoking becomes increasingly ANTISOCIAL.

We were on a cruise and came back to the cabin late, we could hear a whistling noise and rang reception.

They said it was because one of our neighbours probably had their balcony door open.

So they had a good nights sleep?

Remember

Just because you can not hear the whistle noise caused by the balcony door being left open, does not make you any different from those that party all night.

I think i will take up smoking a blow it into the cabins next to me, if it happens again.

G

PS

As a non smoker i cannot believe that you can smell a smoker when your balcony door is closed, i must be lucky 60 cruises and never bothered by smokers smell from the balconies next to me.

Mind you i do not leave my Balcony door open!

Just saw yet another RCCL commercial on TV with a couple standing out on their balcony... balcony doors wide open with curtains flowing in the breeze. :)

The good news here? Apparently there are so many angels on board that I don't think God would ever let the ship sink... even with all of us evil "rule" breakers on board.

Choices choices...

Choose not loose.

Being considerate should also come into the equation .

A vortex is created when leaving the outer doors a jar/open.

Walk down any cabin/suite deck and hear that whistle.. By putting a towel over the bottom door crack will help quell the obnoxious sounds so others are not subjected to it.:D

This happened to us.....we were put in a handicapped room for some reason. The room steward came in late one night to bring us an extra pillow and the balcony door was open. When he hit the automatic door opener out side our door, it created a vortex and everything that was not bolted down flew around the room! Scared the heck out of me!! We got it all cleaned up and before we could close the balcony door, in came my husband and it happened all over again!! Be Careful!!

BTW...........love sleeping with the door open!

We were on the Celebrity Infinity last September on a Panama Canal cruise. One morning we were having breakfast on our balcony, the balcony door was not fully open, but slightly open. We started hearing all sorts of beeping that we could not figure it out. We went into our cabin and realized our smoke detector was going off, as were many in other cabins. The attendants were going to these cabins to take down the detectors and reset them, and advise people to keep the balcony doors closed at all times. It appears it was so humid out, it set the alarms off. And there was no way to open the door to the cabin when the balcony door was open due to the wind it created. We learned a lesson then.

That happened to us too. Same ship, South America itinerary, very humid weather.

Smoke alarms were going off all along our corridor. Our poor cabin steward asked us to please not leave the balcony door open.

I had gotten up in the early hours of the morning and opened our balcony door as we were heading for Rio. The ship came into port when it was still early dawn. We were very excited to see the skyline and had gotten up and put the lights on in the cabin as we headed out onto the balcony to photograph our approach. Suddenly our cabin was filled with a variety of very large winged insects. They went down the sides of the bed, under the bed and into the closet area. I was freaking and my husband was running around with a magazine trying to swat at them. It would have been hilarious if I hadn't been so darn freaked out at their size. Like the palm of my hand. We discovered later that some of them were a type of dragon-fly. Don't know what the rest were and didn't ask. LOL First & last time with door open.:)

Archived