Dream FunHub - Alternative to texting?

jdcml

I've tried to search as best I could both here and externally about the FunHub but I don't see a lot of information on it yet. From what I can gather you can access it from your own wifi enabled device from anywhere on board. I also see that you can set up "private" groups or discussions. I'm wondering if this might be an alternative to the extremely high texting/roaming rates at sea.

While it seems like it somewhat similar maybe to CC as far as messaging and you would have to check in (rather than it being pushed to notify you automatically), it might still be beneficial. For example we are traveling with a decent size party that won't all do the same excursions or get up at the same time. From my iphone could I post where I am when I get up and others in our party can check in and get that info?

Just wondering if anyone has much experience accessing it from their own device. Not the internet, just the FunHub intranet. Is it functional or more hassle than it is worth? Thanks!

I admit to not being into gadgets, but how would you get your iphone online without paying for minutes??

I think people suggesting using this are saying if you use the ship's computer, it allows access to carnival.com free. I dont see though how this would help from other personal gadgets.. but I could be missing something.

I've tried to search as best I could both here and externally about the FunHub but I don't see a lot of information on it yet. From what I can gather you can access it from your own wifi enabled device from anywhere on board. I also see that you can set up "private" groups or discussions. I'm wondering if this might be an alternative to the extremely high texting/roaming rates at sea.

While it seems like it somewhat similar maybe to CC as far as messaging and you would have to check in (rather than it being pushed to notify you automatically), it might still be beneficial. For example we are traveling with a decent size party that won't all do the same excursions or get up at the same time. From my iphone could I post where I am when I get up and others in our party can check in and get that info?

Just wondering if anyone has much experience accessing it from their own device. Not the internet, just the FunHub intranet. Is it functional or more hassle than it is worth? Thanks!

The Fun Hub is really little more than Carnival's internet café on the Dream. Granted, there are several locations as opposed to a single spot for the terminal and there are about 20 netbook 'Fun Hubs' available it's still the normal system you find on other ships with one exception... the one you mentioned... the social networking side.

Yep, you can set up a group, much like on FaceBook, and leave messages for other member and you can access Carnival's web site and social networking community for free.

It sure cuts down on the minutes that are so darn pricey on board!

:)

• 3 weeks later...

My understanding is that you can connect to Fun Hub via wireless, therefore you can leave/get messages without using phone minutes, using a laptop, or an iPod Touch or iPad.

It appears that the ship schedule is also available on Fun Hub. Is just the current day information available, or can you access menus and events for the entire cruise? If the entire week schedule is available, it would make it easier to plan out the week. Specialty restaurant visits could be done on days when the main dining room is not serving your favorites.

We will be on the Dream in September and I'm trying to get information before we sail.

Thanks.

Gordon

• 10 months later...
My understanding is that you can connect to Fun Hub via wireless, therefore you can leave/get messages without using phone minutes, using a laptop, or an iPod Touch or iPad.

It appears that the ship schedule is also available on Fun Hub. Is just the current day information available, or can you access menus and events for the entire cruise? If the entire week schedule is available, it would make it easier to plan out the week. Specialty restaurant visits could be done on days when the main dining room is not serving your favorites.

We will be on the Dream in September and I'm trying to get information before we sail.

Thanks.

Gordon

Gordon, I assume you have taken your cruise and had a great time. Were you successful in using your own iPhone to connect wirelessly to the FunHub?

Yes, we did take our cruise in September and had a great time.

I took my laptop and was able to connect to FunHub, and there was no charge for those minutes. I don't have an iPhone, but I do have an iPod Touch. I don't remember if I connected with that because I didn't want to take the chance of disconnecting without logging out and running up minutes. I'm sure it wouod have worked.

It was easy enought to use one of the FunHub stations around the ship. I know they are in at least 4 locations.

I did start a group for the Cruise Critic group, but I don't think that anyone looked at it. No one posted to it, but that is not the fault of FunHub. Considering all the activity on the thread pre-cruise, I was surprised that we didn't pick up on FunHub where we left off on the thread here.

Gordon

Yes, we did take our cruise in September and had a great time.

I took my laptop and was able to connect to FunHub, and there was no charge for those minutes. I don't have an iPhone, but I do have an iPod Touch. I don't remember if I connected with that because I didn't want to take the chance of disconnecting without logging out and running up minutes. I'm sure it wouod have worked.

It was easy enought to use one of the FunHub stations around the ship. I know they are in at least 4 locations.

I did start a group for the Cruise Critic group, but I don't think that anyone looked at it. No one posted to it, but that is not the fault of FunHub. Considering all the activity on the thread pre-cruise, I was surprised that we didn't pick up on FunHub where we left off on the thread here.

Gordon

You really need to let everyone on your roll call and those at home you wish to text/message know IN ADVANCE that you are setting p a separate group on Funville in the On Board section and what the thread will be called and encourage everyone to pre register at home or re-register on board to access the site. Otherwise, most will not know it's there. Many think you have to sign up for minutes to access. And while access to the hub is available through your laptop or netbook or ipad, be aware that it is still ship internet in connectivity and can be very very slow at times. But it is a great way to stay in touch at home without running up large internet charges or phone bills with international roaming charges. Just remeber, too, that the site is a public site and open for anyone to see, so don't go posting things you don't want tot make public. You won't be able to connect and view constantly like your iphone or bb, so in a real emergency, you may be better off with paying for connection. But too just have updates or schedule future meet up spots on board or anything that doesn't require immediate action, it is a good tool.

Archived