Sunflower or Papillion for Cinque Terre

sciencemom45

I have used Giovanni with Sunflower Tours. We did not go to Cinque Terre but plan on doing that on our next trip either in October or next May and with him. We toured Florence. Pisa and the the country side. Giovanni is a hoot, great guide and cares that he does it right. I highly recommend him and as noted will use him again. Happy Cruising

Does anyone have pricing info for a day tour to Cinque Terre from Livorno from any tour operator?

Hi

I just found a tour operator called joebananalimos and he was quoting 450 E for 2 to 4 people, not including lunch. Yikes. Thats a lot translated into kiwi dollars! We're determined to get there though so we'll keep looking :-)

:eek:

Hi

I just found a tour operator called joebananalimos and he was quoting 450 E for 2 to 4 people, not including lunch. Yikes. Thats a lot translated into kiwi dollars! We're determined to get there though so we'll keep looking :-)

If the price is $450 for 2-4 people I think I'll go with the ship excursion. I like private excursions but this is too much for us. Either way - I'll be seeing Cinque Terre:)

:eek:

If the price is $450 for 2-4 people I think I'll go with the ship excursion. I like private excursions but this is too much for us. Either way - I'll be seeing Cinque Terre:)

The 450E price doesn't include the park pass, train or boat fare either. When I added it all up (2 different tour companies vs. the ship excursion) it was less to take the ship's tour. The down side is that it doesn't cover all the villages. My husband almost fell out of his chair when I told him I was booking a shore excursion with the cruise line!

The 450E price doesn't include the park pass, train or boat fare either. When I added it all up (2 different tour companies vs. the ship excursion) it was less to take the ship's tour. The down side is that it doesn't cover all the villages. My husband almost fell out of his chair when I told him I was booking a shore excursion with the cruise line!

I think the ship excursion skips Corniglia. I didn't even think about the other expenses for a private tour!!! I would love to see all 5 villages but I will be happy with four (I hope four). I thought about DYI with the train but that would probably ruin my visit with worry and my eye on the watch - so ship excursion it is:)

I think the ship excursion skips Corniglia. I didn't even think about the other expenses for a private tour!!! I would love to see all 5 villages but I will be happy with four (I hope four). I thought about DYI with the train but that would probably ruin my visit with worry and my eye on the watch - so ship excursion it is:)

Yes we'll be happy with the four. (or 3) There does seem to be a bit of time to have lunch, look around etc on our own .. I don't know how far apart these villages are and whether there's time to take in the last one (or 2 if that's the case?)

Will have to do some more research :-) Anyway, we've booked with HAL now.

We're doing this in May and we simply wanted a ride to the villages. We want to travel between them on our own, so I booked Tuscany by Taxi, we used them before to go to Florence so I know they are reliable.

I booked a van for 8 people for 400 E. We will be dropped off at the Southern most village of Riomaggiore and meet the driver in the same place at the end of the day. I have people from our roll call joining in the van to make it 8 people.

This was the cheapest, most direct mode of transportation I could find. We will be picked up and dropped off right at the ship. We don't have to take a cab from the ship to the train station and take a train or have the worry about the train times or a late train (common in Italy) on the way back. We also didn't need or want a tour, this is a place to explore on your own at your own pace. We'll walk the "Lover's walk" take a ferry at some point to see the villages from the water and then take the train (a ticket is good for all day travel) to and from the other villages ending in Riomaggiore to explore there before we meet back up with the driver.

It was the best stress free, time saving and economical option I could find. I think the taxi with train would be a bit cheaper for a couple but this is faster and uses less time waiting at the train stations.

Good luck

Yours sounds like a good idea. You really don't need anyone to shuttle you from village to village. The villages are 2-5 miles apart, if I remember correctly. You can take the trains which run frequently between the villages. The ferries are less frequent. While I was there for several days last April (I was based in Vernazza), I really didn't see any ferries running, so they may be seasonal. I had no trouble whatsoever going from village to village as I pleased via train. I did walk between all the villages one day. Unless you are in excellent hiking shape, I wouldn't recommend any walk other than the Lover's Walk.

The train is about 5 euro each return.

The walk to and from the station in La Spezia was easy.

We used Sunflower for a Pisa/Florence tour and were underwelmed - perhaps Giovanni had an off day.

I think the taxi with train would be a bit cheaper for a couple but this is faster and uses less time waiting at the train stations.

We want to post a little info that might help your Cinque Terre decision making. The most difficult part about going to Cinque Terre from Livorno is getting to the first village (usually Riomaggiore). It takes approximately 1:20 to make the drive (it varies depending on traffic). Once you are at Riomaggiore, there is little need for a tour, guides, etc. You are talking about 5 small villages linked together by a rail line, hiking trails, and small ferry boats (more like water taxis). Most folks who are mobile will walk between the first two villages (often called Lovers Walk or something similar) since its an easy hike and then use trains or ferries to do other villages (doing all 5 on a port day is a bit much). So, the main cruiser problem is the best way to get to Riomaggiore. If you want to pay hundreds of Euros for a tour that is an option. If you want to rent a car for about 120 Euros that is another option. You also could try to make a deal with a taxi which is negotiable. Another option is to take the train (you go to La Spezia and then connect to the train that goes to the villages) although the train schedule is tight and not the best option for many folks. Although we are generally anit-ship excursions this can also be a decent option depending on the cost. Personally, when we have done this trip (we have done it twice on port days and stopped there several times on driving trips through Italy) we prefer renting a car...but this is certainly not for everyone.

Hank

We toured with Giovanni of Sunflower tours last summer in Florence. He was fantastic. He was very organized and was able to personalize the tour so we could see everything we wanted to see. If you tell him what you would like to do I'm sure he would be able to customize your tour. He was our favorite tour guide of our 12 day cruise. We loved the restaurant he recommended for lunch in Florence!

• 2 weeks later...
We are trying to find a private tour for Cinque Terre from Livorno in July. Both Sunflower and Papillion sound good - very similiar. Anyone have any experience with them?

We used Papillon Service last summer and were very pleased. First they took us to Portovenere, which was a delightful bonus, as it is not part of the Cinque Terre. They recommended we take the boat between the towns, excellent advice because the view from the sea was breathtaking. Our driver was wonderful...he got us our boat tickets/maps and made sure we were comfortable with everything. On the way back we were treated to an unexpected ride along a panoramic road above Cinque Terre. We stopped in Corniglia, which was great as you can't reach it with the boat, and in Pisa, right at the Leaning Tower! Back onboard we were talking about our day, and some others mentioned they had hired a taxi, but they were merely dropped off and picked up in Riomaggiore. For the little extra we paid for Papillon, I think it was worth it. Hope that helps!

Archived