My review of our Carnival Cruise - NOT

cutiediva

A bit of background information:

On the cruise was my DH, both in our 50's and DS -21. We were on the Carnival Miracle, December 29 - 6 January.

To best sum it up, it was my vacation from Hell! I had developed a bad cough a week before we left, our 2 day stay in Ft.Lauderdale was difficult. We stayed at the Springhill Suites by Marriot. The attraction was free shuttle service to the cruise port and te airport. Breakfast was an added bonus (or so I thought). They had sausage and egg on an English muffin. The sausage was literally dripping in grease, the muffin was at least 6 days old...and everything was cold.

Staff was nice, hotel was clean, but would not stay there again.

Our boarding process was very quick and easy. I had wheelchair assistance, so we went through the lines very quickly. Before 12:00 we were on the Lido deck and by 1:00, we had had our 1st DOD and were in our stateroom (where all bags had been delivered).

A few observations:

The food at the buffet was lukewarm at the best of times. I couldn't understand how you can order and ham and swiss on rye, wait while it was prepared, and receive it cold.

After that afternoon, I really didn't do/see too much. Every time I turned around, I was coughing like there as no tomorrow. Everything after the first afternoon is just a blur. I did spend a lot of time on our balcony, even to the point of spending my evenings out there. Whenever I lay down, the coughing seemed to intensify, so sitting up helped.

We have been home a week, and this past Friday, I wound up going to the ER. It appears that I had pneumonia, so today is the first time I have been on a computer.

DH will be posting a longer review in the next few days.

He enjoyed the cruise so much (not his sick wife so much), that he told me that we should do another cruise later his year:D

I liked the Miracle and am looking forward to getting on her again. and to enjoy a cruise. From what I saw ans heard from the staff, every one was most helpful,especially our room stewards. (They did see quite a lot of me, as I spent a lot uf time in the room.

Linda

A bit of background information:

On the cruise was my DH, both in our 50's and DS -21. We were on the Carnival Miracle, December 29 - 6 January.

To best sum it up, it was my vacation from Hell! I had developed a bad cough a week before we left, our 2 day stay in Ft.Lauderdale was difficult. We stayed at the Springhill Suites by Marriot. The attraction was free shuttle service to the cruise port and te airport. Breakfast was an added bonus (or so I thought). They had sausage and egg on an English muffin. The sausage was literally dripping in grease, the muffin was at least 6 days old...and everything was cold.

Staff was nice, hotel was clean, but would not stay there again.

Our boarding process was very quick and easy. I had wheelchair assistance, so we went through the lines very quickly. Before 12:00 we were on the Lido deck and by 1:00, we had had our 1st DOD and were in our stateroom (where all bags had been delivered).

A few observations:

The food at the buffet was lukewarm at the best of times. I couldn't understand how you can order and ham and swiss on rye, wait while it was prepared, and receive it cold.

After that afternoon, I really didn't do/see too much. Every time I turned around, I was coughing like there as no tomorrow. Everything after the first afternoon is just a blur. I did spend a lot of time on our balcony, even to the point of spending my evenings out there. Whenever I lay down, the coughing seemed to intensify, so sitting up helped.

We have been home a week, and this past Friday, I wound up going to the ER. It appears that I had pneumonia, so today is the first time I have been on a computer.

DH will be posting a longer review in the next few days.

He enjoyed the cruise so much (not his sick wife so much), that he told me that we should do another cruise later his year:D

I liked the Miracle and am looking forward to getting on her again. and to enjoy a cruise. From what I saw ans heard from the staff, every one was most helpful,especially our room stewards. (They did see quite a lot of me, as I spent a lot uf time in the room.

Linda

I know exactly how you felt. I developed a chronic hacking cough on our way to a week at the beach with our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter in their rental. I don't think I spent five hours sleeping all week and spent most of my time on the enclosed porch so I wouldn't keep everyone awake with my coughing. My daughter accused me of coming to the vacation sick, but I swear I did not and only developed a cough in the car on the way. In any event I came home and went to the doctor and learned that I had pneumonia and missed two more weeks of work. Not fun.

The last 3 cruises I've been on I've gotten ill before the trip. I think it's stress relasted however, as I tend to geet sick before any exciting event.

Hope you're feeling better, and no one else caught it!

This coughing thing has me curious.. On a cruise 3 years ago, I had a cough really really bad but just thought it was a cold. Last year on the Freedom it happened again - which actually was a good thing because I ended up quitting smoking! YAY ME!! We'll see if it happens again in 12 days.. I hardly ever get sick so we'll just have to see. Since I quit smoking, I notice my husband coughing every morning as soon as he wakes up. I never noticed it before. Hmmmmmm

...To best sum it up, it was my vacation from Hell! I had developed a bad cough a week before we left, our 2 day stay in Ft.Lauderdale was difficult. ...

...After that afternoon, I really didn't do/see too much. Every time I turned around, I was coughing like there as no tomorrow. Everything after the first afternoon is just a blur. I did spend a lot of time on our balcony, even to the point of spending my evenings out there. Whenever I lay down, the coughing seemed to intensify, so sitting up helped.

:eek::eek::eek:

I hope you didn't spread what you had to others. You probably had to fill out a form before you boarded stating that you weren't sick.

My understanding is EVERYONE fills out the health form. This is why they sell trip insurance. it was very irresponsible to expose the other pax, IMO.

So...you were sick with a bad cough for a week before you boarded, and the ship medical staff passed you through the boarding med screening anyway..and you ended up with pneumonia? I wonder what the point of the screening survey is then.

I do understand how miserable it is to get sick on vacation, I got a terrible case of bronchitis on my cruise to Alaska. My cough was so bad, I had to keep apologizing & explaining to strangers both on the last leg of my cruise & on the plane that it was bronchitis, nothing more, but I also understood how people felt.

The questions on the survey are pretty simple & specific, so I too wonder how this got past the medical staff esp at the height of cold & flu season.

Please be prepared for many different views on your thread, as it is a very hot topic.

Now, as far as knowing you are ill before hand, and still going on a cruise ship endangers others and is selfish in my opinion. Not to mention putting yourself in jeopardy (You will be out to sea with limited medical facilities). The fact that pneumonia, and various other maladies are not just spread by direct contact, but primarily are airborne spread.

Just another cause to get vacation insurance.

So...you were sick with a bad cough for a week before you boarded, and the ship medical staff passed you through the boarding med screening anyway..and you ended up with pneumonia? I wonder what the point of the screening survey is then.

Don't think the medical staff passed anyone through. Most people will not state they have been, or are currently sick when filling out the form. Probably mandatory that the cruise lines do this , but pretty much useless.

I'm wondering where the review of Carnival is. The OP became sick a week before, was sick throughout the cruise and the food was lukewarm. So, the sum of your review is you were sick? I'm very sorry - that would stink - but it's not really Carnival's fault.

I had the same thing on my last Triumph .. and Im guilty of still boarding and coughing. So, I feel for you.. but I still had a great cruise. I thought the food was improved and hot and better seasoned, stuff was better than other times I have had it.. Im sorry you didnt feel the cruise was so fun.

I would hate to be in a wheelchair .. and being sick is no fun. I hope you feel better now.

The only cure is another cruise .. your husband is right. :D

I can so relate to the cough, I have been sick ever since the 1st. week of December with a horrible cough and when I went in they found out I have a sinus infection, so some quick dose of anti-biotics and cough syrup and I should of been good to go, well here it is how many weeks later, I have been through three rounds of antibiotics, prednisone, various cough syrups and a inhaler, and I am still sick. They now have determined that I have a chronic sinus infection. I am so hoping that by the time March rolls around I will be all better. It really stinks when you look so forward to a vacation and you get sick. Hope you fell better soon.

OP said she was pretty much confined to her balcony for the trip. I think this was a very selfless thing to do. She recognized she was sick, and pretty much quarantined herself so as not to infect others... Good Job OP! I see you're from Ontario, too! :) Better luck on your make-up cruise!

Sick a week before the cruise, so you obviously lied on the heath form they have you fill out before boarding. If you hadn't lied, you would have known a week earlier that you needed medical attention, and you wouldn't have suffered through the cruise. Not to mention the germs that you so thoughtfully spread to other guests and your room steward. :rolleyes:

OP said she was pretty much confined to her balcony for the trip. I think this was a very selfless thing to do. She recognized she was sick, and pretty much quarantined herself so as not to infect others... Good Job OP! I see you're from Ontario, too!

Right, she hacking on the plane all the way from Ontario. I wouldn't want to be sitting by her.

Wondering if you brought any OVC meds with you? Or why you chose not to visit the dr onboard? I certainly would have if I were as sick as you seemed to be? I do feel badly for you cuz being sick on vacation is surely no fun - and I would take your dh up on his offer of another crusie later this year! :D

How many people did you infect while you were on the cruise? You and everyone else in your party should have been quarantined and kicked off at the first stop. You should then have been charged with lying on a Federal From and thrown in jail. I guess that you really did not give a damn about the rest of the people on the ship.

DON

Archived