What is Freestyle cruising?

pinkie1

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this board, but not new to cruising. I've never sailed with NCL and wanted to know what "Freestyle" crusing means. I've been on RCI, Princess and Carnival. I'm considering a NCL cruise in early April 2011 and wanted to compare.

Thanks!

Basically its a very unstructured cruise.

You dine where and when you want without having an assigned seat/time. There are specialty restaurants usually with an upcharge where you can make reservations to dine. There is no formal dressing required, there are "Dress Up or Not" nights but there is no regulation that you 'have' to dress up on that night at all, if you plan on celebrating something on a special night you won't be out of place dressing then. Otherwise there is no need to bring fancy duds at all, so long as you adhere to the casual dress code for the dining rooms.

The dining options work out well because if you have a port intensive cruise there is no need to rush when coming back from a shore excursion to get ready to eat as the dining rooms, buffet and comfort food areas will all be open along with room service.

It is just a more relaxed, casual atmosphere and it is something that I really enjoy. I have cruised and will cruise other lines with more traditional options but NCL has freestyle down to a tee. :)

It means you are free to eat whenever instead of sit down dining times with the same people every night. We love having a table for two so we can catch up. It means sitting on the ship until 10 on disembarkation day if you so choose instead of waiting in the cattle call. That's enough for a beginning.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this board, but not new to cruising. I've never sailed with NCL and wanted to know what "Freestyle" crusing means. I've been on RCI, Princess and Carnival. I'm considering a NCL cruise in early April 2011 and wanted to compare.

Thanks!

For a complete explaination go to the NCL web site(Click Here) and click on "Learn About Our Cruises"

Short course:

1. Relaxed dress code in the Main dining rooms.
  2. No set dining times. Go when you want. Evening hours are from 5:30 to 9:30 I believe.
  3. Hang out in your cabin on disembarkation day until you are called to disembark
  4. Lot's more specialty restaurants. Some view this as nickle and dimeing. However it's in addition to the free dining venues so it's really more choices IMHO.

We enjoy Freestyle on NCL as well as traditional cruising. Ain't no such thing as a bad cruise:p

Charlie

FREE~STYLE means:

YOUR CHOICE...YOU CHOOSE;)~

where you want to eat, when (within dining hrs) with who

and how you want to dress (resort to relaxed resort casual is welcome in all dining venues every nite--ships and sailing will vary with shorts being allowed)

FREE~STYLE to me means...NO STRESS OR FRUSTRATION :)to be eating at a set time and place with people dressed a certain way...

since we discovered FREE~STYLE we are more RELAXED and LESS STRESSED and ENJOY our cruises much more:)!!

Archived