Malaria pills for the Amazon

crowpro

We are going to an endemic region in South Africa in a few weeks, and the three recommended choices for there are the same three recommended for Brazil. After some research on the CDC's website, and some consultation with colleagues, we decided on Malarone for ourselves.

We weren't interested in doxycycline as it can cause bad skin reactions if you're exposed to sun. Mefloquine (Lariam) can cause other strange reactions which didn't seem like a good idea, though if you tolerate it, it's very convenient as you only take it once a week.

We'll try to remember to let you know if there were any problems with the Malarone when we come back in early March.

Did anyone take Maralone pills on the Amazon Cruise and if so, did you have any side effects?

Yes, I took them a few days before entering the Amazon and continued almost to the end of the cruise. Eat yogurt first, take the pill and then breakfast. That will coat the stomach or you will get a tummy ache. I had not side effects.

My malaria pill experiences are VERY old (Africa in 1987, Galapagos in 1989) so of course not really relevant ... I'm only commenting because what we took back then is nothing like what is recommended these days.

For the record, I don't remember bad side effects from what we took 25 years ago ...

On the other hand, when we were going down to Mexico when I was a youngster (back in the '50s), the typhoid shot had me in agony ...

Mura

We took Malerone when we went to Kenya in 07/08 with no side effects and I don't remember taking it with food.

Our daughter has traveled for extended periods and lived in Africa and now since the New Year in Haiti. She has taken Malerone for months at a time with no side effects. My understanding is that the others are cheaper but do have side effects. She expects to be there for a year and will take it for the entire time.

Mo

We took Malerone when we went to Kenya in 07/08 with no side effects and I don't remember taking it with food.

Our daughter has traveled for extended periods and lived in Africa and now since the New Year in Haiti. She has taken Malerone for months at a time with no side effects. My understanding is that the others are cheaper but do have side effects. She expects to be there for a year and will take it for the entire time.

Mo

Mo, you must have an iron stomach:)

We've been taken malarone as our anti-malarial of choice on trips that require it for over 10 years - add us to the list of people who have not experienced side effects.

To be honest though, I would be consulting your health care professional about what you need to take, how long you need to take it for and whether you need to be taking it at all in the first place. I see someone makes a reference to taking anti-malarials in the Galapagos, I'm not sure why they did (unless they went traveling in the Amazon before or afterwards) - just ask you doctor to make sure .....

The abstract from Fivelman et al., 2002

We report the first in vitro and genetic confirmation of Malarone® (GlaxoSmithKline; atovaquone and proguanil hydrochloride) resistance in Plasmodium falciparum acquired in Africa. On presenting with malaria two weeks after returning from a 4-week visit to Lagos, Nigeria without prophylaxis, a male patient was given a standard 3-day treatment course of Malarone®. Twenty-eight days later the parasitaemia recrudesced. Parasites were cultured from the blood and the isolate (NGATV01) was shown to be resistant to atovaquone and the antifolate pyrimethamine. The cytochrome b gene of isolate NGATV01 showed a single mutation, Tyr268Asn which has not been seen previously.

So there are malarone resistant strains of malaria out there .....

One more on malarone:

We took malarone on a land-based trip to Southern Africa in 2009 and had no significant problems, although after seven days of dosing we found ourselves visiting the bathroom a little bit more than usual (that continued until we stopped taking the pills after we got home). We liked the fact that we didn't have to start taking it until we were in Africa (our tour began with four days in Capetown, which is malaria-free). Another gentleman on our tour was taking mefliquone and he had to be rushed to a hospital in Johannesburg after he started bleeding through his skin. Fortunately, everything turned out ok and he was able to continue on the tour, but he had to switch to malarone. We were also told by our travel medicine clinic that no anti-malarial is 100% effective, so it was also important to shield vulnerable skin areas, like the ankles.

I also highly recommend the Buzz Off products; they make socks and shirts and other clothing impregnated with permethrin.

We just got our Malarone prescription for our March Amazon cruise. Our doctor begged off, so we went to a travel clinic, where they do nothing but handle travelers health issues. The travel clinic strongly recommended Malarone, although it's not absolutely required on our cruise. We took the drug about 10 years ago in the South Seas and had no reaction. We figure it's insurance. I've talked to people who had malaria. You never want to get malaria. John.

We are on the March cruise to the Amazon. We have the Malarone pills and was wondering if most people are going to take them, I guess we don't have to decide until a couple of days before entering the Amazon. Our only concern is side effects from the Malarone.

We went in early Dec. to Amazon. Had Rx for Malaria pills, but decided not to do it. Never saw a mosquito, altho some interesting bugs and crickets and moths! Guides on ship sponsored trips in Manaus said that because the Rio Negro is acidic, they don't have mosquitos. Worry about the poisonous ants if you're trecking thru the jungle.

I strongly suggest that you consult a travel clinic. Your regular physician probably has not much more knowledge or experience with travel situations than you do as a worldly traveler. The Dr. that focuses on travel medicine keeps up with the latest regulations, outbreaks etc. and has the medicines available. Also it is an excellent idea to follow up with the travel clinic on the return from trip -- especially if there is some sign of trouble. Do not just assume that it is malaria medicine reactions -- could be could be something else.

As for me -- my first malaria medicine gave me wild hallucinations every night. I did stop taking it as my mind was so strange as to be scary. The second malaria medicine was hard to tell if made me sick as I was SICK! from intestinal parasites/bugs thus the see the travel medicine doctor after the trip. :eek:

While on this subject: Does anyone know if malaria medicine needed for an Oceania cruise that starts in Athens and makes one day stops in Cyprus, Israel, Egypt ,Suez Canal, Jordan, Oman and ends in Dubai? Will not spend the night off the Nautica. Still thinking about this cruise. Egypt would be the most time off ship -- long shore excursion. TIA for opinions -- It is one year past my yellow fever shot coverage and I really hate to get that too. We said that we would do our "explorations" in that 10 years period but you know -- there are still places to go:D

• 1 month later...
Did anyone take Maralone pills on the Amazon Cruise and if so, did you have any side effects?

Serious side effects from malarone affect less than 1% of those who take it. Therefore a poll on CC won't give you the info you need. If you are in the 1% it can ruin your holiday. We were recently on a 15 day SE Asia cruise. The Brits on board were advised to take it. 1 gentleman was sick enough to require a visit to the ship's doc and a battery of tests (1000$ worth). Eventually he was told his illness was from the malarone and when he stopped taking it, he gradually got better but his trip was spoiled.

We were told not to take it. We used permathrin spray on our clothes and deep woods OFF (20% deet) on our skin. Not a mosquito to be seen anywhere. Weigh your risks depending on where you are going. In general travel clinics should have more up to date information

Serious side effects from malarone affect less than 1% of those who take it. Therefore a poll on CC won't give you the info you need. If you are in the 1% it can ruin your holiday. We were recently on a 15 day SE Asia cruise. The Brits on board were advised to take it. 1 gentleman was sick enough to require a visit to the ship's doc and a battery of tests (1000$ worth). Eventually he was told his illness was from the malarone and when he stopped taking it, he gradually got better but his trip was spoiled.

We were told not to take it. We used permathrin spray on our clothes and deep woods OFF (20% deet) on our skin. Not a mosquito to be seen anywhere. Weigh your risks depending on where you are going. In general travel clinics should have more up to date information

I had no side effects when taken with food in the morning. I actually got bit in Manuas while treking through the forest. My father got malaria during WWII and I would risk taking the medication than experience what Dad went through.

And, I would add, stay out of the shade if possible. We were in India a few years ago waiting for some members of our tour group to come out of a museum. It was hot and people sat down under a tree because it was the only respite from the uncovered concrete courtyard. All of a sudden people started itching and realized that mosquitoes were swarming there. Those who stood a few feet away in the sun weren't attacked.

Up the Amazon twice to Manaus round trip. No mosquitos seen. The crew etc. do not worry about getting Malaria on the Amazon..I believe the Malaria bearing mosquitos are a night time hazard in some places a ways inland along the Amazon. Manaus is completely mosquito free due to the acidity of the Rio Negro....

As Dirty Harry said, "do I feel lucky?":) The choice is yours. According to this cruise critic forum, Very few people have experienced side effects of Malerone. I would take it again and just remembered, I have to take it this November while in Africa.

Up the Amazon twice to Manaus round trip. No mosquitos seen. The crew etc. do not worry about getting Malaria on the Amazon..I believe the Malaria bearing mosquitos are a night time hazard in some places a ways inland along the Amazon. Manaus is completely mosquito free due to the acidity of the Rio Negro....

When we went up the Amazon in 2006 we elected not to take our medication after we discovered the crew etc did not take anything.

Just ensured that we had a strong deet spray - never saw much in the way of animals etc let alone mozzies.

Last year in Africa we started medication and fell sick, so again and after talking to those at the lodge we were staying at, elected not to continue the medication and relied on heavy lashings of deet. Can't say we say any mozzie's that trip as well.

Cheers

Archived