Pilot People/Flap Questions +

legalwife

But it's now routine to see much more than that! The standard B747-400's MTOW is about 875,000 lb, and the A380-800's is about 1,250,000 lb.

Though absolutely true, it amazes me too, that those aircraft have only 4 engines. The advances in tubine engine technology and reliability have been impressive.

The advances in tubine engine technology and reliability have been impressive.
Absolutely! But perhaps best demonstrated by ETOPS reliability, day in day out - in a way in which I think would surprise even the earliest proponents of the idea.

But back to your aircraft. Here's something for you. ;)

5arm6t.jpg

• 1 month later...

Didn't want to start a new thread as it is another off the wall airplane question... :)

When flying out west, there are areas that look like a patchwork quilt. Surely it can't just be different crops. They seem to be quite square in shape and different colors. I asked one fellow and he said it was just the way the land was divided up. I just can't think that is correct. Do you know what I am seeing and why?

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with me. By the way, I did not hear the hissing sound on this last flight but was still fascinated with my new knowledge from you as to all I learned above.

Didn't want to start a new thread as it is another off the wall airplane question... :)

When flying out west, there are areas that look like a patchwork quilt. Surely it can't just be different crops. They seem to be quite square in shape and different colors. I asked one fellow and he said it was just the way the land was divided up. I just can't think that is correct. Do you know what I am seeing and why?

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with me. By the way, I did not hear the hissing sound on this last flight but was still fascinated with my new knowledge from you as to all I learned above.

Yes, you're seeing farmers crops or fields. Some just plowed, some growing crops, and some just fallow. You'll also see a lot of circles now. The farmers irrigate their crops with a great big pipe on wheels that goes in a circle. (simplified explaination)

Yes, they are different crops.

On a long, straight stretch of I-90 in central Washington, they have put up signs along the wire fence that parallels the freeway. Each sign designates what crop is planted in that field. I noted at least 8 different crops the last time I went by there, and yes, they do that very different appearances.

Well, if you guys confirm, I will believe. Thanks.

There were just so many squares it seemed hard to think they were all field crops. Got the circle irrigation info too. I'm a believer now. :)

Wish everyone would have the opportunity to go up in a plane just once. What an amazing feeling it must be to pilot one - and no - I will never try to get a pilot's license. (Don't worry)

Thanks again for your knowledge and easy to understand explanation.

The pattern of fields along the St. Lawrence River in eastern Canada is also interesting. Instead of squares, they are long, narrow strips of land. I forget the term (someone on this board will know)- it comes from a system of land inheritance that maintains access to watercourses for all the heirs. For example if land is left to 4 children, dividing the parcel into 4 long strips leaves everyone with river access. Then as that generation leaves their strips of land to their heirs, the result is even narrower strips. Fascinating to see from the air !

Another interesting thing is to watch for other airliners if you have a sharp eye. A plane going the opposite direction really shows how fast you're both going. Other planes seem like tiny specks in an immense sky...makes us seem insignificant!

Besides the fields and what appears to be perfect straight lines and roads, is just looking at the geologic formations and just wondering how and when these formations were made.

Can you imagine the conversation when the first settler came to the edge of the Grand Canyon?

You know she told him he should have asked for directions. :D

A couple of books for those with curious minds on airplanes:

Science from Your Airplane Window is 30+ years old, but still good. Out of print, but widely available used.

Inflight Science: A Guide to the World From Your Airplane Window . New book coming out that likely will pick up where the other one left off with new information and timeliness. Since it hasn't been released, I can't speak to the contents.

Thanks to all of you.

And, I have ordered from Amazon the 30 year old book referred to me.

I still may have another question or two for you people after I have read it. :)

My husband will thank you so much because he will have to listen to all of my valuable knowledge on our next flight. :rolleyes:

Archived