Carry-on or Checked luggage?

mama_2_boys

Either is fine. You can lug them all over the ship until your cabin is ready. Or you can check them at the curb and have them conveniently delivered to your cabin.

I can't really think of any reason why one option would be better than other.

Either is fine. You can lug them all over the ship until your cabin is ready. Or you can check them at the curb and have them conveniently delivered to your cabin.

I can't really think of any reason why one option would be better than other.

LOL I know it seems stupid, but I didn't know if there were "rules" of what you could check outside of liquids and that stuff. Thanks :)

How old are your two boys? :confused: Carry-on luggage is supposed to fit in airport style screening machines -- from the photo I doubt they would fit, but suspect Carnival would let them slide if the boys were in the seats. Unless they are very little (not walking?) and you want to carry your boys around in the seats, I would check them with the porters and avoid the hassel.

We've usually boarded around noon and most Carnival ships will allow you to drop off your carry-on bags in your room, even if the cleaning process is not complete. So you could carry them on if you don't trust the car seats to survive the luggage process. Good luck! :)

Why are you taking the car seats? They are going to be very difficult to take off the ship, and most taxis and vans in the ports do not have seat belts to secure them. You are also going to have to pay to check them on the plane.

We are taking our 10 month old on a cruise next week and we're not taking a car seat but I do understand why you would want them.

You may already know this but airlines usually do not charge to check car seats. We had planned to carry ours on when we flew with our son a few months ago but when we realized that we wouldn't be charged to check it we went that route. You are also not charged to check Pack n Plays.

Why are you taking the car seats? They are going to be very difficult to take off the ship, and most taxis and vans in the ports do not have seat belts to secure them. You are also going to have to pay to check them on the plane.

We will be taking our car seat for one reason- safety. There is no way to keep our child safe if there's a collision without a car seat. It will be inconvenient, but it's worth it.

I am a Firefighter and have seen many examples of severely injured or killed children who were not properly secured. Even the routine "fender bender" has resulted in tragedy for those not wearing seatbelts or not in a car seat.

We are flying Delta. According to their website, there is NO charge to check them. We will check the seat and use one of the "Cares" devices to secure our son in the seat.

As a previous poster said, and as OP confirmed with their specific airline, most airlines do NOT charge to check car seats. I know Frontier does not as that's who we fly with.

We are taking our 4 year old's car seat with us on our upcoming cruise in a few weeks in a similar type bag to what the OP posted.

We will be traveling in a shuttle from the airport to the ship port, so that is reason enough to take a car seat with us - plus, we will be renting jeeps in Cozumel and I can't imagine putting my son in a jeep, in Mexico, without a car seat. Safety is #1 - I applaud you OP, and thank you for being a firefighter. :)

More hassle? For sure. We already have too much luggage...but if something happened to my son because I did NOT bring his car seat...I would never ever forgive myself.

Oh, and to answer the question, I would suggest just checking it on the ship so you don't have to lug it around the ship with you. That is what we will be doing.

I don't know where the OP is cruising from, but it's the law in Florida to have children under three restrained in a carseat while in a vehicle -- and it has been for a LONG time. EVERYONE under the age of 18 must use a seatbelt.

http://www.dmvflorida.org/seat-belt-laws.shtml

Taxis don't have seatbelts?? Really? I don't spend much time in taxis, so I'm serious when I ask this question. I seem to remember using a seatbelt in the taxi from the Key West airport to our B&B, but we usually drive to Key West, so maybe I just don't remember.

They also may be renting a car at some point during their trip, so they would definitely need the car seats unless the car rental agency supplies them.

Nothing ticks me off more than to see a toddler running around in the back seat of a moving car or sitting on someone's lap instead of in a carseat. Makes me want to smack the driver. I commend the responsible parents who are "lugging" around carseats for their children.

We will be taking our car seat for one reason- safety. There is no way to keep our child safe if there's a collision without a car seat. It will be inconvenient, but it's worth it.

I am a Firefighter and have seen many examples of severely injured or killed children who were not properly secured. Even the routine "fender bender" has resulted in tragedy for those not wearing seatbelts or not in a car seat.

We are flying Delta. According to their website, there is NO charge to check them. We will check the seat and use one of the "Cares" devices to secure our son in the seat.

;) Your a good parent. I am a truck driver, and I can't tell you how many times I have seen kids killed or seriously hurt because their parents were too lazy or stupid to use a car seat.

Never really thought about taking one on a cruise, but then my kids are older now that I am cruising. But I like the way you think!

We are taking our 10 month old on a cruise next week and we're not taking a car seat but I do understand why you would want them.

You may already know this but airlines usually do not charge to check car seats. We had planned to carry ours on when we flew with our son a few months ago but when we realized that we wouldn't be charged to check it we went that route. You are also not charged to check Pack n Plays.

For the record...we're not taking a car seat because we do not plan to need one. We are driving to the port and are not planning to do any excursions that would require us to use one once we're on the ship. That's one reason we chose this particular cruise...we've been before and there isn' t much we really want to do (so we'll be relaxing on the ship with our son). If it requires taking a taxi we just won't go.

For the record...we're not taking a car seat because we do not plan to need one. We are driving to the port and are not planning to do any excursions that would require us to use one once we're on the ship. That's one reason we chose this particular cruise...we've been before and there isn' t much we really want to do (so we'll be relaxing on the ship with our son). If it requires taking a taxi we just won't go.

I hear ya'. If you're not planning on riding in a car after you arrive at the port, that's one less thing.

We have flown twice with the car seat, and what a pain in the ***. Necessary, but such a pain.

Have a nice cruise! :)

;) Your a good parent. I am a truck driver, and I can't tell you how many times I have seen kids killed or seriously hurt because their parents were too lazy or stupid to use a car seat.

Never really thought about taking one on a cruise, but then my kids are older now that I am cruising. But I like the way you think!

Thank You! :)

I will be bringing a seat for my granddaughter (3) in April. I plan to check it on the plane and definitely check it at the port. I won't need it between embarkation and the first port of call, so I'll let them worry with it. She rides in a car seat every time she is in a car at home, so I don't see a vacation as good enough reason to compromise her safety. Not to mention trying to get her back in one after allowing her to sit in the car without one, consistency is key with her.

We will be traveling in a taxi or car at 2 of our 4 ports, so we need one.

Archived