What's the skinny on gyms and jogging tracks?

helenparr

Hello all! I'm sailing the Majesty on 2/18, and i'm an avid runner who plans on working out during my cruise (because i have mental problems :p) my favorite runs are first thing in the morning AND outside, but i'll do the treadmill if i must.

I saw that the jogging track on deck 10 is closed from 10pm-10am, bummer for reals. So i was thinking about maybe running after we leave the ports, around 5pm. sooooo

...Will the jogging track be totally un-runable after everyone hops back onto the ship after 5pm?

...if so, will the gym be super-packed from 5pm-7pmish?

...are there any "peak times" at the gym, or can you always grab a treadmill?

...can i run on another deck before 10 am?

thank you in advance :)

Every ship I've been on w/ a gym tends to be crowed the first day or 2. All the folks who never worked out decide to give it a shot...by the 2nd day it thins out considerably. I've always found its the least crowded around lunch time.

As for the jogging track, sorry cant help you..that's my wife's thing, not mine :D

Naver been on the Majesty so I can't speak specifically to that ship but have been on several RC ships and find the gym setup is pretty much the same on all. I try to work out daily and usually find the best time in the gym is between 3pm & 5pm. Usually not a problem to get a treadmill or elliptical. Running outside is a different story. I think it's difficult to run on the jogging track as you have to dodge walkers, waiters and sunbathers who've pulled their loungers out farther. Between 10am and 2pm is probably a peak time for both. I would think port days that sailaway would be a bad time to try to run as a lot of people are up on deck.

Sherri:)

You cannot run anywhere before 10AM because there are usually cabins underneath the decks and people will be sleeping. Your best bet would probably heading to the gym as soon as it opens and use the treadmill. The view will more then make up for being inside!

Im an early bird wheter Im on vacay or not, my wife likes to sleep in so I used to get up around 6:30 or so got ready for the day and headed up to the pool deck just to get freash air. I saw people running up there as early as between 7-8 am. It was last year on the FOS but that might vary ship to ship.

If you're a runner, you'll probably be happier on the treadmill. We tried to use the jogging track but found it was way too crowded. Not only were there plenty of walkers and runners, there were also lots of people walking to their lounge chairs with a drink of the day in hand. The jogging track provides fresh air and a nice view but a serious workout is hard to find. We found the treadmill to be much less frustrating.

If you're a runner, you'll probably be happier on the treadmill. We tried to use the jogging track but found it was way too crowded. Not only were there plenty of walkers and runners, there were also lots of people walking to their lounge chairs with a drink of the day in hand. The jogging track provides fresh air and a nice view but a serious workout is hard to find. We found the treadmill to be much less frustrating.

...i had a feeling someone was going to say this :( i would love to run on the jogging track, but i'm starting to think it's just not possible.

The best time for the running track is also when the ship is moving...provides extra resistance like you are going up and down hills. Not to mention the wind.

...but this also intrigues me...guess i'll have to play it by ear

Just off the Majesty and I'm a runner:

There is a track on deck 7 (I think that's the deck) and it is closed at the hours you mentioned. I think it is around 5-6 laps per mile.

However, there is a running area on deck 12. Be warned, the ship is VERY small and you have to run a TON of laps per mile. I did 7 miles and it was something like 60 laps that I had to do. It was awful. It was NOT crowded though and I just yell out "Passing left" and that usually straightens out all the lane hogs right away!

I should also note that I did my running as we were pulling into port...so around 7-8 AM. No problems with drink of the day people at that hour.

The gym on the Majesty is pretty small and the ceiling is low....I didn't try the "dreadmill" because I was a little afraid of bonking my head...that and well, I just despise treadmills.

I should also note that I did my running as we were pulling into port...so around 7-8 AM. No problems with drink of the day people at that hour.

I'm glad it worked well for you! I was shocked that we had problems with drink of the day people at 8:30 am when we were on the track! :eek: But, then again, it was a cruise in March during spring break...

Yeah, the deck 7 track is "closed" during those hours because you would be thumping on people's ceilings ... some ignore this which I find incredibly rude since the hours are clearly posted. The equipment in the gym is limited because of the low ceiling and there are no elipticals because of this. You might try the upper deck for a bit in the morning, then head to the treadmill if it is too busy or you get bored.

Just off the Majesty and I'm a runner:

There is a track on deck 7 (I think that's the deck) and it is closed at the hours you mentioned. I think it is around 5-6 laps per mile.

However, there is a running area on deck 12. Be warned, the ship is VERY small and you have to run a TON of laps per mile. I did 7 miles and it was something like 60 laps that I had to do. It was awful. It was NOT crowded though and I just yell out "Passing left" and that usually straightens out all the lane hogs right away!

The gym on the Majesty is pretty small and the ceiling is low....I didn't try the "dreadmill" because I was a little afraid of bonking my head...that and well, I just despise treadmills.

i'm stealing "dreadmill." love that. seems like with the high requirements my hubby's gonna have some problems at 6'2, but he'll find any excuse he can not to run so that might be an "oh well!" lol. but i'm 5'6...

and 60 LAPS? cheese and rice that's insane. i typically run 4-5 miles, so i'm assuming we're talking at least 35-40. i'm gonna run the inside of my nike free's into the ground with all of those left turns :p

I have not tried this, but there is a chance you could run in port. My DH wouldnt run if someone was chasing him, and would chase me down and shoot me if I went for a run in port by myself, but I have toyed with the idea a few times.

If I ever found someone to run with I might try it.

We were on the Oasis last Sept and I thought that was the best cruise ship running track I've ever been on. The only down side was the view was blocked by lifeboats, but they also blocked the wind on sea days.

I have not tried this, but there is a chance you could run in port. My DH wouldnt run if someone was chasing him, and would chase me down and shoot me if I went for a run in port by myself, but I have toyed with the idea a few times.

i was also thinking about this, but were would i stick my seapass and ID? i guess in my sports bra? and yeah, my DH would be like "um, you're doing what exactly?" also, at the end of my runs i look like i fell into a river. i need a shower pretty much immediately.

i was also thinking about this, but were would i stick my seapass and ID? i guess in my sports bra? quote]

They actually make some running shirts with small zippered pockets just big enough for a set of keys, or in this case an id and seapass. I have one made by Brooks but I'm sure other brands make them as well.

They actually make some running shirts with small zippered pockets just big enough for a set of keys, or in this case an id and seapass. I have one made by Brooks but I'm sure other brands make them as well.

is it a short-sleeved T? i should buy one of those, but i usually run in tanks when it's above 70. have nike shorts that have a little interior pocket, but it's just big enough for ONE key.

is it a short-sleeved T? i should buy one of those, but i usually run in tanks when it's above 70. have nike shorts that have a little interior pocket, but it's just big enough for ONE key.

Yes, it's a short-sleeved tee and, of course, it's moisture wicking! I believe it's made by Brooks. I think it would hold an id but I'd have to check at home to verify. I did a quick search online and found this shirt http://www.trisports.com/brooks-womens-pr-t-running-shirt.html. Its specs says it holds id so I'm sure that would work. The pocket on this shirt is on the back. My pocket is on the lower side which I like better. Back pockets make me nervous. But, I guess if you're running fast enough it would be hard to pick your pocket! :D

If you ever have the opportunity to cruise on Oasis...it has the best running track at sea in my opinion. I would assume Allure is the same.

I do not get to run very often due to bad knees but I was not going to let that track get by without trying it. I even picked up a jogging partner before starting...good thing he was slow like me. It was great.

And the track on Oasis is close to 4/10 of a mile. I don't think it had hours - I never saw a sign.

Look at Spi-Belts - I hate running w/a water bottle or anything but have found the belts have stretchy pockets and can accomodate a SeaPass card/ID easily (and a few $$ if you want to buy water)

You can probably run on deck while IN port as so many people get off the ship - I've done this w/my DD before. It is still an obstacle course so don't plan on major speed.

I've never had an issue getting a treadmill in the gyms. Usually I go about 3-5 pm as we do late dinner and I get in the workout pre-shower. Never that busy in there!

Good luck with this. I'm a runner, too, but have mostly been on the newer ships, where there is usually a track that is around 4 - 5 laps to a mile (and above the pool deck, so they don't have to keep it closed in the morning hours). If you ever do another RCI cruise on a bigger ship, those early morning runs out on the open deck can be really nice!

Fila makes a tank with a pocket for ipod, but would fit your id and seapass. Just bought 2 at Kohl's last week.

On the Monarch (sister ship to the Majesty) a sign is posted on deck 12 near the Windjammer (port side) that states that 8 laps = 1 mile. I verified this while in port using my Garman GPS watch. I power walk and at 6:00 am you will have the deck pretty much to yourself. You can get a good workout in until approx. 8:00 when people start claiming their pool chairs for the day. Some will pull them out onto the track until they see you and then will move them back.

Have a great cruise!

Thompson: 8/mile makes sense....I did 7 miles and it was somewhere around 60 laps.

I have running shorts (Nike) that have little pockets inside. I put my seapass behind my ipod and then into the armband.

On the Majesty be careful because the carpeting is uneven...I almost tripped a few times (on deck 12).

Just my 2 cents, but although the laps on the Majesty's upper decks are insanely small, that is what I would do if I had to run in the morning at sea. I can't keep my footing running on a treadmill at sea, no matter how calm the water, and I don't think my form is particularly bad.

I run in the afternoon, so I was able to use the "walking deck". But I second the comment about the upper deck's wind : great resistance for one half of the lap and for the other half, a tail wind like you wouldn't believe!

el henry

Archived