Solos on Paul Gaugain

gailellen12

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has sailed on Paul Gaugain. It has been a dream of mine to visit French Polynesia for years. I am a teacher, and can only go during summers. It appears that PG is the only cruise line sailing there that time of year. As an avid traveler in a non-traveling family I will be going solo. I have traveled alone many times so do not view this as a problem. However, I have some concerns regarding Paul Gaugain. I don't want to feel totally out of place and enjoy being around people who will mix and mingle An input would be most helpful. Thanks Gailellen12:rolleyes:

Paul Gauguin is one of the lines where being solo counts less.

I know they have a singles get together early on the cruise.

Seating is open and you could be seated with different people each time or by yourself if you prefer.

Singles are fine in trivia you just join any group.

The Gauguinnes are very welcoming and will make you feel at home. I have sometimes gone up at night to La palette ( my DH is an early sleeper) and they will always come and sit with me seeing me by myself and even asked me to dance!

Cruisecritic is a wonderful way for you to make some friends so you will already have friends before going on the PG.

If you are alone in the Bar just sit on a stool and have the bartender for company we often sit there ourselves.

Go for it.... but be warned its addictive ... you could succumb to the FP Flu!

Thanks Emdee for the input. I caught the regular flu this year from one of my kids at school, so the "FP" as you call it, would be a welcome relief! Gailellen12 PS this ship looks so enticing I may just go for it> better start saving lots of $ at this point!! :rolleyes:

I'll be sailing solo on the Feb 26th cruise, I'll let you know how it goes.

I learned years ago that if I waited until someone could travel with me I would not have been to 1/2 of the wonderful places I have been. Traveling solo I have met more people whose friendships I treasure long after the trip, than when I travel with friends and family. Plus the freedom to do what you want when you want makes up for the few moments when being by yourself is not so hot.

The main thing I do not like about traveling solo, is eating dinner alone. But on a cruise that is not a problem as I have always been seated with interesting people.

Martini Cruiser

Thanks Martini Cruiser - I will be looking foward to hearing from you when you return. I so agree with your philosophy regarding solo travel! I have also noticed that there are more solos on trips than there used to be. I did a river cruise with Uniworld to the Xmas Markets in Dec. They waived the single supplement so it was loaded with solos of all ages. Speaking of which - did you get any break on the single supplement charge for your trip? Due to my teaching schedule, I will probably be going in high season - our summer - so I don't imagine many bargains will be had. Have a wonderful time. That area of the world is certainly very enticing Gailellen12;)

Have a look at the Aranui3 as well. I found single passengers and teachers on both our July/August cruises. Teachers from the US, Belgium, Germany, France and French overseas territories,.

The Aranui is a comfortable freighter with passengers, a different experience frome the more luxurious Paul Gauguin.

I cannot speak for the Aranui - I am sure its a different experience and FP is beautiful any way. However, the one factor you should consider is why does the PG has such a large number of repeaters? We will be on our 6th visit this year ... it started as a once in a lifetime experience and now I can say realistially that we will try and go every other year. We have a long hike from Toronto otherwise it would be ever year.

However, the one factor you should consider is why does the PG has such a large number of repeaters? We will be on our 6th visit this year ... it started as a once in a lifetime experience and now I can say realistially that we will try and go every other year. We have a long hike from Toronto otherwise it would be ever year.

I agree-I took my wife on the PG in 2007 for our first trip together-she had wanted to got to Tahiti since she was 17. Well we fulfilled that dream, and not planned to go until our 5th anniversary next year.

Well, we got an offer we could not refuse, and sailed on her again in 2009!

Both trip stories and pictures are on our website http://www.stevekathytravels.com

Archived