Disney Cruise Line no longer porting in Mazatlan!

lar32

So now we'll have another day in Cabo. Any info. on Cabo eco tours that any one has would be greatly appreciated. We are considering a whale watching excursion with them but trip advisor reviews of them looks not so good. I believe Pez Gato is now becoming the cruise line boat tour operator. I'm just not a fan of booking with the cruise line for excursions. Seems like they take a chunk and give back less to the locals. Any thoughts of any other great whale watching companies in Cabo?

So now we'll have another day in Cabo. Any info. on Cabo eco tours that any one has would be greatly appreciated. We are considering a whale watching excursion with them but trip advisor reviews of them looks not so good. I believe Pez Gato is now becoming the cruise line boat tour operator. I'm just not a fan of booking with the cruise line for excursions. Seems like they take a chunk and give back less to the locals. Any thoughts of any other great whale watching companies in Cabo?

Yep, that is why I just headed to this board. Due to violence, DCL has just pulled the Matzalan stops. I had an all day planned with Matzalan Frank that I was really excited about. Over here to research Cabo things to do. That is HUGE that DCL would be that concerned to do that. It looks like the troubles there are really escelating!

Yep, that is why I just headed to this board. Due to violence, DCL has just pulled the Matzalan stops. I had an all day planned with Matzalan Frank that I was really excited about. Over here to research Cabo things to do. That is HUGE that DCL would be that concerned to do that. It looks like the troubles there are really escelating!

I'm sure it's due to the recent tourist from Canada that was shot in Mazatlan this Monday. He was shopping in a touristic area and got caught in the crossfire, Canada issued a warning to Mazatlan on Tuesday, rumor has it Disney might pull out on their Mexican cruises next year and move ship back to Florida :-(

There was also an incident where terrorists attacked a group of four foreign tourists who were participating in an ATV guided tour in the area - at the Christmas holiday. This additional report is seeing the light of day only this week. I suspect the Disney organization had someone "on the ground" in Mazatlan who's made the decision that, for now, it makes sense to change the itinerary for security or reasons of lack of interest - and that there have been other incidents which haven't been widely reported.

We are booked on a Princess cruise. Do you think other cruise lines will follow Disney`s decision not to stop in Mazatlan? Recently gave a deposit to Frank for his city tour..... I'm starting to feel a little uneasy.

I leave today on the Sapphire Princess and I am at the Crowne Plaza right now staring at our ship docked in port as I type this. Does anyone know if Princess is going to change their itinerary and pull out of Mazatlan? I also have a tour with Mazatlan Frank I booked and paid a deposit for. I guess I will find out in a few hours when I board the ship if they are changing our itinerary or not.

Violence occurs everywhere.

You are not always safe no matter where you are.

In your home, in your yard, at the Safeway in your neighborhood . . .

need I say more?

I'm sure that Disney must consider their port calls differently than the other curise lines because of all the children on board and their cautious or protective parents. This is understandable.

When you and I book with Princess to the MR, we do so because we love the cruise and the MR. I, for one, am not worried about it one little bit.

It can't be any more dangerous than any other activity, home or abroad.

It's worth the risk, don't you agree?

Frankly, getting through the airport is far more daunting to me.

Do you have a link to this info, I can't seem to find it?

I wrote on a forum on carnival site, and they are not pulling out of the mazatlan stop at this point. They say they are monitoring the situation & will change plans when they deam it nessisary. So if DCL thinks it is nessary because of all the children, carnival & the others have children on board too. I wonder how they determine when it is nessisary.:rolleyes:

There was also an incident where terrorists attacked a group of four foreign tourists who were participating in an ATV guided tour in the area - at the Christmas holiday. This additional report is seeing the light of day only this week. I suspect the Disney organization had someone "on the ground" in Mazatlan who's made the decision that, for now, it makes sense to change the itinerary for security or reasons of lack of interest - and that there have been other incidents which haven't been widely reported.

Violence occurs everywhere.

You are not always safe no matter where you are.

In your home, in your yard, at the Safeway in your neighborhood . . .

need I say more?

I'm sure that Disney must consider their port calls differently than the other curise lines because of all the children on board and their cautious or protective parents. This is understandable.

When you and I book with Princess to the MR, we do so because we love the cruise and the MR. I, for one, am not worried about it one little bit.

It can't be any more dangerous than any other activity, home or abroad.

It's worth the risk, don't you agree?

Frankly, getting through the airport is far more daunting to me.

No, I don't. Have been to the Mexico many times, and Mazatlan many times and enjoy the MR. Out of the ports on the MR, Mazatlan is my least favorite (sorry) and we usually just have a day on the ship. I live in SoCal, work in the most dangerous city in Orange County, get briefings from Homeland Security and carry a badge...so no, I don't agree with you. But I guess I get to see what everyone else is protected from...so I have a biased opinion. Life is not what you see on TV...

No, I don't. Have been to the Mexico many times, and Mazatlan many times and enjoy the MR. Out of the ports on the MR, Mazatlan is my least favorite (sorry) and we usually just have a day on the ship. I live in SoCal, work in the most dangerous city in Orange County, get briefings from Homeland Security and carry a badge...so no, I don't agree with you. But I guess I get to see what everyone else is protected from...so I have a biased opinion. Life is not what you see on TV...

I'm not sure what you are saying when you say " No, I don't". Are you saying you don't think it's safe to go to Mazatlan? Please clarify.

I see we are on the same cruise. We are booked to go on the resort getaway in Mazatlan, it is in the golden zone, and they take you there by taxi. I am wondering if we should stay at the port too? It seems to be from what I have read, that the problems are mostly the border towns, but also acapulco & Mazatlan.:eek:

We have been to Mazatlan before and never enjoyed it more than we would have enjoyed staying on the ship. I know many who feel the same way. And this was before the shooting. We will be there in a few weeks and had considered going as far as the bandstand in the port area to hear some music and maybe have a drink. Now we won't bother. I am sure the risk is small. But the risk/benefit analysis no longer favors us leaving the ship, even briefly. Also don't forget the opportunity cost. For us the ship offers so much, Mazatlan simply is not worth the opportunity cost.

Somewhat off topic but, I'm curious..... What is the most dangerous city in OC?

Here is a report on the latest crime rates in OC...unlike the shows people watch on TV...crime does happen in OC. Although most of it is concentrated in certain areas, there are many safe cities to live in. Just like anwhere else in the US, there are always bad neighborhoods.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/crime-281038-percent-violent.html

We have been to Mazatlan before and never enjoyed it more than we would have enjoyed staying on the ship. I know many who feel the same way. For us the ship offers so much, Mazatlan simply is not worth the opportunity cost.

Totally agree.:)

Here is a report on the latest crime rates in OC...unlike the shows people watch on TV...crime does happen in OC. Although most of it is concentrated in certain areas, there are many safe cities to live in. Just like anwhere else in the US, there are always bad neighborhoods.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/crime-281038-percent-violent.html

So, when you say you work in the most dangerous city in OC, which city are you referring to? My guess was going to be Garden Grove but, after reading the article, it might be the city of Orange.

So, when you say you work in the most dangerous city in OC, which city are you referring to? My guess was going to be Garden Grove but, after reading the article, it might be the city of Orange.

LOL, it is Santa Ana...Anaheim is a close 2nd...yet you will never see that on the news due to Disney owning most of the city. I should shut up now, don't want to scare people away...the Disney police may come after me. Just trying to make the point that there are many dangerous places in the world and right here at home.

Back to the original thread...I am still trying to guess whether Carnival will follow Disney and cancel Mazatlan. Would lovbe two days in Cabo!

Do you have a link to this info, I can't seem to find it?

I wrote on a forum on carnival site, and they are not pulling out of the mazatlan stop at this point. They say they are monitoring the situation & will change plans when they deam it nessisary. So if DCL thinks it is nessary because of all the children, carnival & the others have children on board too. I wonder how they determine when it is nessisary.:rolleyes:

I wonder how long it will be before they decide?:confused: Do they email you and let you know, or do you just board the ship and they tell you? We do not sail until June, so I will just wait and see, and have back up plans just in case we do not port there. I really wanted to see the cliff divers, and go out to stone island. We have kids too (3) and do not want to put their safety at risk.

Wow.

I guess I am one of the few who really enjoyed Mazatlan. Sure, it's not as polished as some of the other ports on the Mexican Riviera (I've heard some call it "industrial", "unremarkable", "past its prime") but I had a lovely time there. I found the city very interesting. The galleries, beaches, and restaurants were nice and the people warm. Was it my favorite port of call? No, but I always felt safe and always felt it was worth a visit.

That said, any type of violent episodes (especially in light of recent events) will change the game up in a hurry. I understand why some would be reluctant to get off the ship.

There's a chance I'll be cruising the MR in September or October of this year. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens before choosing to visit Mazatlan again--that is, if the cruise line doesn't choose for me.

For me, an extra day in Cabo instead of Mazatlan is a no brainer.

Lately we have been staying on the ship in Mazatlan because we have pretty much exhausted our options for tours. My DD10 has the sports court to herself and practices her softball pitching. It is her best day!:)

Toni

Without looking at the article I would guess Santa Ana as it is full of gangs and ghettos...I could be wrong but thats my guess! :p

LOL, it is Santa Ana...Anaheim is a close 2nd...yet you will never see that on the news due to Disney owning most of the city. I should shut up now, don't want to scare people away...the Disney police may come after me. Just trying to make the point that there are many dangerous places in the world and right here at home.

Back to the original thread...I am still trying to guess whether Carnival will follow Disney and cancel Mazatlan. Would lovbe two days in Cabo!

I see I won! Is there a prize? :D

I'd personally love an extra day in Cabo. Sailing on the splendor in march so the cabo stop is the shortest and from what I know the best(been there once, never to mazatlan or PV). only problem is Cabo has the highest chance of not making it to port due to rough water so cruises could end up with only one stop (PV) if they cancel Mazatlan. that would stink.

Archived