Compass says no MDR for lunch on first day?

pandi77

Found some recent cruise compasses identical to our sailing in March on the radiance and the only venue it showed open for lunch was the WJ. We are fine with that but had read many poster's advice on trying the MDR instead to avoid the crowds and get a potentially better meal.

Has anyone been on the Radiance lately who can confirm or deny the status of the MDR on boarding day out of Tampa? We'd love to try the MDR but don't see that it is shown as a dining venue option at that time..

Thanks!

Found some recent cruise compasses identical to our sailing in March on the radiance and the only venue it showed open for lunch was the WJ. We are fine with that but had read many poster's advice on trying the MDR instead to avoid the crowds and get a potentially better meal.

Has anyone been on the Radiance lately who can confirm or deny the status of the MDR on boarding day out of Tampa? We'd love to try the MDR but don't see that it is shown as a dining venue option at that time..

Thanks!

We were on a few weeks ago and that is correct,,,the WJ is the only option for lunch the 1st day, unless you are on a B2B and there are enough people to warrant it. The only other time it is open for lunch is sea days. Then you have a tough decision to make as the Seaview is open for lunch then too. :D

Great choice to have!

As far as I know and from every post I've read about it, none of the RCI ships has the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day. WJ has plenty of choices first day. Either get there early so you can board early or wait to go to WJ after 2 and it won't be as busy. We always board early (usually among first 75 people onboard after weddings and wheelchairs) and have no problem finding a place to sit.

I've never been on a RCL cruise where the MDR is open the first day.

The staff there is usually assigned to other duties such as getting old stuff out of the kitchens, and bringing on and stowing new supplies.

Great and thanks! I'm sure the WJ will be wonderful and we'll board as soon as they'll let us. We live 20 minutes from the port so I think 11am is the soonest anyone has said they can board. We're in a GS so we probably won't have a big line and can enjoy the WJ crowd free..we hope!

As above, the MDR is very busy on turn around day. Very little time for lunch, and with guests boarding at all different times, what would their hours be? The MDR usually closes at 1:30 on most ships for lunch on sea days.

R&D

As above, the MDR is very busy on turn around day. Very little time for lunch, and with guests boarding at all different times, what would their hours be? The MDR usually closes at 1:30 on most ships for lunch on sea days.

R&D

On embarkation day it does not close at 1:30. From what I remember it's open all afternoon with turnaround for dinner on one side and then moved to the other. So, not an issue on embarkation day. Regular sea days are different.

On embarkation day it does not close at 1:30. From what I remember it's open all afternoon with turnaround for dinner on one side and then moved to the other. So, not an issue on embarkation day. Regular sea days are different.

Rick was talking about the Main Dining Room. You are talking about the Windjammer.

:)

Rick was talking about the Main Dining Room. You are talking about the Windjammer.

:)

And the OP was only asking about embarkation day when the MDR isn't open anyway so it's a moot point.;)

Great and thanks! I'm sure the WJ will be wonderful and we'll board as soon as they'll let us. We live 20 minutes from the port so I think 11am is the soonest anyone has said they can board. We're in a GS so we probably won't have a big line and can enjoy the WJ crowd free..we hope!

Don't count on it.

Our last cruise the Suite lines were long and for some reason slowwwwwwwwww....the WJ was quite full when we boarded at 11:30.:) So be prepared to rub elbows.;)

Archived