Help!! Can't decide..Balcony or not??

Gizzy02

I am driving myself crazy!!

Ok, I have already booked our oceanview stateroom on the Freedom which isn't till Feb 2012 and NOW I'm thinking I might want to upgrade to a balcony AND not tell my Hubby & boys (Ages 10 & 12). I checked and it would be an additional $575.00 for all of us for the week.

We have always had a window but have never had a balcony and I just don't know if it would be worth spending the extra money or not?

Any advice from all you cruisers? Thanks so much!!

Linda:)

I have never sailed without a balcony, but truly think you would love it. It is just so nice to have the ability to step outside at any time and get fresh air, see what the temperature is, see what is going on if you are approaching port, sailing away from port, etc. You can get some awesome pictures.

It is very, very peaceful (unless you have rowdy neighbors) to sit and read, have drinks, have coffee, things like that.

If you search some old threads, you'll learn of 'other things' folks have used their balconies for :eek:.

Problem is, you might have a problem going back to NOT having a balcony cabin in the future.

If you can swing it, I'd say "why not" :) (OTOH....$575 would give you alot of 'fun' money to spend on other activities, too.)

Rachel

PS - there have been recent threads where people mention having issues with smoking neighbors, music-playing neighbors, etc. This is a possibility, I am sure, but one I've never had a problem with.

Go for it. The view from a balcony is a great addition and it will give four people in one cabin a little more space.

I love spending time on the balcony in the morning reading before we go up for breakfast and then again before dinner as well.

Have a great vacation.

I personally enjoy the fresh air you can get on a balcony. Downside if someone is smoking next to your cabin you get a mix of second hand smoke and fresh air...

Best private place to watch docking if you are on "that" side of the ship. No guarantee either side will be that side on any specific sailing...lots of factors go into what side is against the dock.

Best outdoor space in my mind since I prefer to relax and get away from the crowd while on a cruise (at least some of the time).

One you go Balcony you will probably keep on going Balcony!!! Go for it and Enjoy!!!

We have had all catagories and do not mind any of them. Not that it matters but our cut off for upgrading to a balcony is $300. If the cost to upgrade is under $300 we will upgrade to balcony otherwise inside or window is fine.

We have had all catagories and do not mind any of them. Not that it matters but our cut off for upgrading to a balcony is $300. If the cost to upgrade is under $300 we will upgrade to balcony otherwise inside or window is fine.

Is that for two passengers? If so, it's thumbs up for the OP, since she has four in her cabin! ;)

Ok, I have already booked our oceanview stateroom on the Freedom which isn't till Feb 2012 and NOW I'm thinking I might want to upgrade to a balcony AND not tell my Hubby & boys (Ages 10 & 12). I checked and it would be an additional $575.00 for all of us for the week.

We have always had a window but have never had a balcony and I just don't know if it would be worth spending the extra money or not?

:cool:Two big reasons for the balcony

1. The fun you will get when you surprise them. You can have your little secret for 13 months waiting to surprise them

2. The relaxation of having coffee delivered first thing in am and sitting on your balcony having it, watching the ocean go by. Great extra space, fresh air, but be warned----you will never go back LOL:cool:

Also, you have time for the price to drop...we booked a promenade room for a July 2011 Med cruise and the price of the balcony dropped to the same we had paid, so we switched...you have a long time before final payment...reserve the balcony and watch the price drop!!

Not all the balconies will have extra space. If you have a large oceanview cabin, there will be more space within the cabin than if you have a balcony. I've done a large oceanview with myself plus 3 kids and we've had a fine time. I find a regular balcony to be kind of squished with the 4 of us. Check the inside square footage of each and make your decision from there.

If it were Alaska or Europe, I'd say sure, go for the balcony. But for the Caribbean, it's a tossup.

For our 1st cruise, we had OV window.....that was obviously my 1st cruise!! I didn't know any differently. Our 2nd cruise was our honeymoon, so we decided to splurge and get a balcony. No way will we ever cruise again without a balcony!!:) It was the best!

It does normally offer a little more space, but nothing beats ordering room service for breakfast and sitting in your robes or jammies on your balcony, watching the sunrise, eating your breakfast and listening to the waves hit the ship.

If you can do it financially, I think you should. If you don't, then you're going to drive yourself crazy thinking "What if?" It's not worth that. At least you'll know if you like it and if it was worth the money. If not, then don't get a balcony next time.....

Have fun whatever you do!! Cruising is the best vacation ever!!

I'm sure your husband would like it but the kids probably wouldn't care. My kids have been in most of the categories and they ask for insides so they can sleep later.

Not all husbands will enjoy it. We had a corner aft balcony once on AOS and I spent a total of about 30 minutes out there. I do not see a big need for a balcony. For us, all we want is the natural light that an oceanview provides. DW spent some time out there reading and napping. I'm a people person, I want to be out an about mingling with people. Money is not as plentiful to us as it is to others. I would rather save the money and use it towards other things. To each their own though.

...It's just my personal preference... In the end - It's your financial decision.

Private bucket of Corona's, Quiet Romantic breakfast, My bikini's drying on a line, pretty backdrop for photography, and evenings on the balcony after a noisy club and too many libations... The fresh air and sound of the boat slicing thru the ocean are so relaxing.. It's our own private space on a crowded ship for 7 nights... I look forward to Allure and my first Junior Suite with even BIGGER balcony...!!:)

101_3551.jpg.4b2688d8ef6d2526d263ebdabe828df6.jpg

101_0030.jpg.f3a13b68d5bd56f07d0fc418ee501b2c.jpg

DSCF4802.jpg.432f62325ffe0e8f8ad0c2caf4ec040e.jpg

100_0187.jpg.09b49dc1bca0cc75c1768805de951a3e.jpg

100_0238.jpg.02a89d7dedbc0700d9178f9561a8c233.jpg

If you can afford it - GO FOR IT! My family and I used the balcony on our cruise ALOT, and I absoloutely LOVED it. This time I had to get three rooms, I put the inlaws and kids on the inside across the hall, and got my balcony! I couldn't sail without it! :)

We put the kids on the inside for Oasis... wouldn't dream of them using their room key to enter the balcony... and get into mischief - two boys 12 & 13.. what are the odds..? :eek: Definitely inside for the boys..! ...and like you - we opted for the balcony..!!

Wow..thanks to everyone that replied!

I know my husband would't want to spend the extra money & my boys would think its very cool ( we've looked on you tube)and for me..yes..I would love to have that. I love to take alot of pictures too and I think it would so nice to sit out there in the morning and drink my coffee and relax, smelling the morning air and in the evenings before heading out to dinner. Just some downtime alone.

I have one question that concerns me. Sometimes my hubby & I will go out in the evenings for alittle bit and leave the boys in the cabin and the balcony kind of worrys me. Do you have to use your room card to get out onto the balcony or could they just go out there anytime??

Thanks!!

Archived