To hose or not hose?

AmuseMe

:cool:Going on a caribbean cruise in a few days. I have a formal

dress that sits just below the knees. I have some strappy

beaded high heeled sandals. I've always worn hose with

a dress being from the midwest (chilly). Can I get away

with not wearing and hose? Is this not approiate for formal

night? Thanks!:p

I would totally go no hose! lol - it's cold here as well, but even in the winter I rarely wear them because they drive me insane! I wouldn't worry about being too warm if you do decide to wear them, since it's a pretty comfortable temperature in the dining rooms.

If you feel comfortable this way, it is fine. Everyone has to choose for themselves. There are some ladies who don't think you're dressed unless you wear hose, then there are others (like me) who feel it is a form of torture to wear pantyhose. I only wear them if the dress and shoes say I have to.

Ah yes but the one good thing about hose (especially controltop) is that it keeps ones figure more streamlined shall we say! I haven't decided yet if I will wear hose or not for the formal nights, depends on my dress, depends on if I wear strappy open shoes and if I do I'll have to hope that the cruise food won't be showing on my tummy yet!

Summer

Ah yes but the one good thing about hose (especially controltop) is that it keeps ones figure more streamlined shall we say! I haven't decided yet if I will wear hose or not for the formal nights, depends on my dress, depends on if I wear strappy open shoes and if I do I'll have to hope that the cruise food won't be showing on my tummy yet!

Summer

Hmm...that is true...

Hi:) If you feel good in the dress without hose, then don't wear them.

But I agree with Kathy, it depends on the woman. I have a dress I wore that was just below my knee(just) and I would have felt awful not wearing hose. It is a very dressy dress and I really wanted to look good. If I didn't wear hose with that dress, I would have felt totally out of place. So, I wore sheer ones and felt beautiful.

Now, If my dress is longer, I don't wear them. But this was a short dress and my legs would have looked awful without them.

I don't like wearing hose with sandals, but like the tummy control. I found this garment, don't know what it is called, but it is like the top of a pair of control top panty hose. I like it! I think it is actually L'eggs.

>>>>>>........... but like the tummy control. I found this garment, don't know what it is called, but it is like the top of a pair of control top panty hose. <<<

It's called a girdle.

Jane

I agree...go with the SPANX if you need control. Hose are OUT on a cruise.

Well painted toes look stupid crunched in pantyhose and sticking out of strappy sandals.....while naked......sexy as can be. I, too, am from the midwest......primarily why I HATE Hose.....your going to warm weather, sunshine, tan skin and beautiful dresses....you are not waiting for the bus to the office here ladies..... Go sexy and naked-toed!

• 2 weeks later...
Hose should never ever be worn with open toe shoes.

The only time you can bend this rule is wearing fishnets with peek-a-boo pumps but not strappy sandals.

If it is too cold to go hoseless then wear pumps.

It's OK with open toe shoes, but wear the "sandlefoot" kind, not the reinforced toes. That's why they make sandlefoot pantyhose.

Lou, those things are heinious. Have you either seen them or ever tried to wear them?

Think of strappy sandals as a bathing suit for the feet. While it is possible to wear hose with open toe shoes or a bathing suit, it's just wrong.

Well, there are certainly two distinct schools of thought on this subject. Count me in as one who believes that sandalfoot hose were made to wear with DUH, sandals. While you are staring at me on formal night in my sheer hose and strappy sandals and rolling your eyes, you can be assured that there are plenty of other people looking at barelegged women who really should have covered their legs with hose. I'll bet the majority of women over the age of 40 don't have legs that should be shown off at formal night. Sure, some do. More don't.

Is this a generational thing or what?

IF you lived in a cold weather climate and IF you went to a wedding in the winter WITH strappy formal shoes AND you did not have hose on.....you would look like a NUT!

To be all dressed up & not wear hose is just plain tacky.

You see girls onboard all the time......all dolled up with sequins & carring their everyday black leather purse.......kills the entire outfit.

Dolly

Archived