Western vs. Eastern Caribbean...What to do???

donnam504

DH & I sailed Freedom Western Caribbean for the 1st time last year.Loved it! Stops were Labadee (very nice) Caymans (loved it) Ocho(hated it) & Cozumel(just okay), only did beach breaks. Want to sail again on Freedom w/ 3 kids (ages 16,12, & 10) & considering Eastern Caribbean. Concerned about the beaches at Cococay, St. Martin & St. Thomas. Travel Agent says that is her favorite of the Caribbean cruises as she feels the beaches are beautiful. How do they compare? Not really interested in shopping, other than few souveniers...We are a beach family & would be giving up our traditional week @ the beach to do the cruise. What about the nudity on St. Martin? Not an experience I want to share w/ my children. Water pollution in St Martin? Suggestions for beach excursions? Whats your favorite?

DH & I sailed Freedom Western Caribbean for the 1st time last year.Loved it! Stops were Labadee (very nice) Caymans (loved it) Ocho(hated it) & Cozumel(just okay), only did beach breaks. Want to sail again on Freedom w/ 3 kids (ages 16,12, & 10) & considering Eastern Caribbean. Concerned about the beaches at Cococay, St. Martin & St. Thomas. Travel Agent says that is her favorite of the Caribbean cruises as she feels the beaches are beautiful. How do they compare? Not really interested in shopping, other than few souveniers...We are a beach family & would be giving up our traditional week @ the beach to do the cruise. What about the nudity on St. Martin? Not an experience I want to share w/ my children. Water pollution in St Martin? Suggestions for beach excursions? Whats your favorite?

Coco Cay is great, water actvities, calm water. In St thomas we have been to megans bay which is gorgeous. Calm water, pretty quiet in my opninion. They have bathrooms and concessions but nothing fancy. National Geographic rates it as one of the top 10 most beautiful beaches in the world. I don't know if I would agree with that but it is beautiful, you won't be disappointed. We are doing the Eastern caribbean again and we will most likely choose a different beach n St. Thomas. As far as St. Martin, this a new stop for us and we will be going to orient beach. My Aunt has a timeshare there and has been going every year for the last 12 years. She said we should go to Orient Beach, that's the place to be. The nudity is really confined to one side, you won't be anywhere near it. however, you may see a topless woman here or there on the "regular" side. My kids are teens so I'm not going to let it stop us. Good luck I hope this was helpful!

Everything, about the Eastern Route is much better...;)

Really:rolleyes::rolleyes: Costa Maya is my favorite stop. Passion Island in Cozumel is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been to and we have sailed the southern route 4 times. I guess Its all in what you make of it.

• 4 weeks later...

We are going on the Western for the first time this year so I would love to hear about that from you. We have been to the southern 1 time and eastern 2 times. Loved Loved Loved St Thomas! The first time we took a taxi over to Coral World, and it was worth the money...the beach next door was amazing for snorkeling! Every place you just need to watch...if you are going there after the Coral World at the beach go all the way down...best snoreling and its where we felt safest. The second time we went, we ended up getting on the ferry to St John and let me tell you...although it was a lil nerve wracking because I worry about not getting back to the ship...it was the most beautiful place ever. Really felt out there with nature. Orient Beach in St Maarten was really nice...never saw anyone nude...here is a section that is more family friendly...just ask the taxi to drop you off there instead of the nuddie section. The Eastern feels very safe...but like all things you need to just watch around you and stay with other people! :o

I like the Eastern Caribbean the best. And my most favorite excursion of all time was the America's Cup Challenge in St. Maarten. This is not an appropriate cruise for young children, and I am sure there is a minimum age limit.

But for anyone looking for a thrill, it sure was one.

I understand for safety reasons, Coral World in St. Thomas may no longer be a ship-sponsored excursion. We went there in Mar 2010, but it's my understanding that some cruise lines dropped it after an indecent last year near Coral World. Not sure if the excursion is available anymore or not.

Eastern Caribb is for shoppers and beach goers (like us)..been to Eastern 10 times, Western 8...love St.Thomas..Megan's Beach great, but also Coki Beach and Sapphire Beach very nice..In St. Maarten, yes Orient has a nude section, but it is WAAAAYYY over to the right when you get in..also Dawn Beach is marvelous and secluded with several bars on the beach..Maho Beach is essential to watch the planes leave and land RIGHT above your head- don't miss a chance to see it..beach there is nothing, but go for 60 min on a tour..I have some tour guides I have used if you want to do several things..shopping is great on SM as well...also the locals don't bother you like in Jamaica or Cozumel in ST or SM....

Big Al

We like Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas. The view of other islands in the background is gorgeous!

We usually go to the beach that is within walking distance on St. Martin (or take the water taxi)...it is right in front of the main shopping area. You could also go to Maho Beach, which is right in front of the airport runway and the planes come in very close (look up some videos on youtube). We will probably be going to Maho on our upcoming trip to St. Martin.

In our opinion, CocoCay isn't nearly as nice as Labadee, but it is still a wonderful beach day.

Archived