How to buy an Oceania cruise??

khuselid

Ok....so we have finally settled on the cruise. 9/7 on the Marina, Venice to Istanbul.

For all of you Oceania-ites. What is my best move now? So complex around amenities, etc. Do I buy from the lowest price on ****** or do I go directly to Oceania???

I would love to get a flight upgrade to business as we are both over 6 feet and economy is miserable, especially for my husband's back. Any advice?? We aren't wallowing in money but since this is a special trip for us we will find a way to pay for things that are valuable to us!

Suffering from TMI (too much information!).:confused:

Thanks to all! Kim

I would talk to an agent that does a lot of Oceania cruises or book with Oceania direct

They do have a page on the website to choose an agent ...be sure to ask lots of questions of the TA to make sure they KNOW Oceania before you book

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findta/default.aspx

I would search out airfare then compare to what Oceania is offering

Find out what the air credit is if you DIY

I like this site to compare flights

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

You should consider flying in a day or more early ...if you do Oceania air do a deviation which is $100. pp & maybe an upsell if you choose flights that may cost more

I am sure others here will lots of good advice for you

Lyn

What is my best move now? So complex around amenities, etc. Do I buy from the lowest price on ***** or do I go directly to Oceania???

Kim,

I do neither...

I call my Travel Agent...

Of course, I have a very good Travel Agent who is with a high volume agency and who does a lot of business with all of the premium lines...

She is able to give me a better deal than what I would get directly through the cruise line, but, almost more importantly, she knows the ins and outs of Oceania, of how things work, of who to call and what to ask for...In case of a problem with the booking or any other aspect of the cruise, I have her support and assistance and she will step in and act on my behalf with the cruise line...and she has a little clout with them...

Hopefully, nothing ever goes wrong...but you never know...Always good to have a first rate TA on your side...

JMHO...

Kim-

I would not recommend using Oceania for your air, especially for business class upgrades. Oceania's upgrade "add on" is sometimes more than buying the business class ticket yourself, at least that is what we found. If you have miles/points with a particular carrier or a credit card company, you may be able to find a much better deal.

If you can book your air on your own, the air credit you receive from O can vary, but I have received almost $1100. Again, it all depends where you are flying.

Also, I woudl not recommend booking with Oceania for the pre/post cruise hotels. They are over-priced and you can easily book those same hotels and save 50% or more.

We love Oceania and don't think you will be disappointed with the cruise line and what you pay for it. I don't know if you really save having an agent book the cruise, but if they book everythign else incl air and hotels, maybe you will save overall.

Good luck with your search

Hi, Kim

Lots of good advice on travel agents versus booking the cruise through Oceania in the posts above. Our first cruise on Oceania was booked through our University alumni travel group. We chose to book our second one (the very cruise you have selected!) through Oceania because we had a discount coupon from the first cruise that encouraged booking directly with them. We also elected to do our own air with miles to get first class for the long legs of the trip (I have some disabilities and economy is very difficult). We used to book all of our cruises through a travel agent many years ago and had mixed success, but many of the veterans on this board swear by having a good TA (maybe our TA back in those days wasn't so good).

For your information, there is a roll call for the 9/7 Venice to Istanbul cruise. We are exchanging information on hotels and independent tours:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1242272

We really enjoyed our first cruise on Oceania last year and can't wait to do a cruise on Marina.

Hi, Kim

Our first cruise on Oceania was booked through our University alumni travel group. We chose to book our second one (the very cruise you have selected!) through Oceania because we had a discount coupon from the first cruise that encouraged booking directly with them.

If you are referring to the $200 coupon you get when you return you can use it when booking with a TA

Just book with your TA then send in the coupon with your booking number etc... or your TA will do it for you

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...

You do not have to do your air or pre/post cruise hotels through Oceania. You can get an air credit. That free air is built into the price and there is an air credit if you choose not to use it. In some cases the air prices are worth it and in some not so much. Price it out with the 'free' air, air credit and then the air deviation fee. Even using the air deviation you do not have to use their hotel - you can book elsewhere.

Archived