Using Carnival MasterCard?

idlenote

We were in Cozumel just over a week ago. We stopped at Margaritaville, had lunch, and since DW wanted to do some more shopping at the pier I tried to pay for lunch with the Carnival MasterCard, so i could hang on to the cash I had.

Well, needless to say the card was declined. I paid the bill in cash and then went off to find a quiet corner to call MasterCard customer service. They asked me if I was out of the country, then asked me if I had told them I would be out of the country. Answered yes and no, they told me that it was all my fault since I didn't tell them ahead of time that I was traveling out of the country. Also told me that is their rule if you are going to be traveling out of your home state.

I know about doing this if I'm traveling in Europe, but this is the first time i have hit this problem while cruising. Thought it was pretty sorry on their part not to have sent out a notification in advance, and since I check every bill that comes in I know there wasn't any such notification.

So be warned if you don't want to be embarrassed. Of course, then there's the problem of telling someone you don't know that you're house is going to be empty and the dates that you will be gone. May be time to dust off the Amex before the next cruise.

Dude, it's not just with the Carnival MC, it's all cards. Card issuers are really tightening up on the security stuff, and yes it can be a pain in the a$$, lol.

Imagine my thoughts while in port in St Maarten, the DW and I made a jewelry purchase (a couple grand), walked across the street "tried" to make another purchase and the card declined:eek:. Took about 15 minutes on the phone with Visa Cust Serv and everything was OK. We have since notified our card issuers of plans to travel outside the states.

I usually notify the companies when I am traveling. I have never had a problem with AMEX. I did use a MC in Alaska, several times on one day in Ketchikan and the last time it was denied. I hadn't notified. Even though technically I was still in the US. I don't use my Carnival card for anything but onboard account, but would notify if I planned to use it. My late BIL got a call from CC co. once when my sister and I were at an arts festival. It seems the vendors she had bought from had gathered from different places across the country, and charges were coming in from PA, CA, CO, etc., all on the same day. They notice odd activity, they check. EM

I don't even take my credit cards (except for the one for my onboard account - Carnival) to Mexico. There are too many ways for them to steal your account information without you even knowing it is happening anymore, and all you have to do is walk by someone that has the right equipment to do it, unless you have your card sheilded in a special case.

It used to be that you only had to worry about them cloning your phone when you were in Mexico, or any other foreign country - now they can clone your credit cards as well and before you even get home they can run up quite a bill. Most credit card companies will work with you and take care of it, but the hastle is no fun at all... This is also why the credit card companies can be so asinine when you are traveling go to use their card and it is declined. More than once I have had to buy something large like a computer on the road, and have to call the card company to get them to approve the transaction. Yeah, it is nice that they want to protect themselves and you, but it sure can be a hastle - even if you notify them that you are traveling.

My advice is to definitely leave your debit cards at home - many of them don't offer the protection that a credit card does, and it would really suck to have your bank accounts drained when you looked at your bank accounts online the next time.

Barclay's security is pretty good. DW and I were watching TV one night when they called and asked if I had just made a charge to Match.com! :eek: Told them no, they cancelled the card and sent me a new one. Don't know if someone got the # or if maybe it was a million to one typo someone entered. No other unusual charges were attempted, make me think it was just a typo.

FWIW, I always call my bank and CC when I go travelling. Can save headaches I understand.

Fair winds,

JHC

Archived