For those who no longer "table" dine in evening

Stokeset

I'm glad the cruiselines have so many options available for everyone.

I've tried dining in the buffet a couple of nights with my son when, as a teen, he didn't want to get dressed for dinner in the MDR. I have to say I didn't really enjoy it. The food, even when it is the same, just doesn't look as appetizing in a cafeteria setting. (Maybe it's a flashback to the school cafeteria, lol.)

Also, at least on Princess, there seems to be a real problem with keeping hot foods hot enough. I hate eating my food lukewarm. And I had a hard time finding one of the roving beverage servers to order a glass of wine to go with.

Finally, I just enjoy eating what I call "good food properly served". I enjoy eating several courses, properly spaced, without having to either grab all of them at once in the buffet line or jump back in line again for each course.

I've been on several cruises where I never stepped foot in the main dining room. I don't cruise for the dining experience. While the food and service has been great in the MDR, my preference is still to go to the buffet. I go to the MDR because the people I cruise with want to, but I don't care to do it every night.

We play it by ear . If the menu looks good we go to the main dining room . My husband wears pants , a shirt & a tie and I wear a long sun dress with jewelry . On our last cruise I saw one tux and maybe two gowns so more casual is becoming the norm . It's your vacation so do what makes you happy .

For our last 5 cruises it turned out that we ate in the MDR at least once per cruise. Most of the time we were too busy to go to dinner at a set time. This up coming cruise we decided on anytime dining. I believe this might be a better fit for us. We also are not too interested in "dressing up" I want to be comfortable and relaxed on my vacation. I love room service! I can sit out on the balcony and eat in total serenity.

Archived