For those who no longer "table" dine in evening

Stokeset

Please don’t flame, but DH and I have intentionally chosen on our upcoming 10 day cruise not to pack clothes for the evening meal and will do casual eating either in the Lido restaurants or the Horizon Court or in our room.

We’ve mostly done traditional dining in the past, have done anytime dining a couple of cruises and have never had a bad experience that puts us off. If anything, we’ve had exceptional waiters who in some cases have been the highlight of a particular cruise.

I would like to hear from those you’ve elected to do the same thing, what your experience(s) was like and have you continued the same “habit.”

Thanks!

No, there are other issues involved other than clothes,and I only wrote about our past experiences so that I wouldn't get flamed for being one of "those" cruisers who was never satisfied. So, please, those that have elected to change their way of eating and cruising, please let me know of your experience...

On our last cruise we chose not to pack formal clothes and did not do the dining room for either formal night. We did pack "smart casual" for the evening meal but found that we only ate in the dining room one night. We did do the Chef's Table but other than that, seemed to end up in the Horizen Court! Often we would go down to the dining room during the day and look at the menu to see if anything was worth going back and changing clothes!:) That's the beauty of having options!

That's the kind of input I'm looking for. Given what you said about looking at the menu ahead of time, I suppose one could make note of the selections and have room service deliver?

On Princess, you have a limited room service menu unless you are booked in a full suite.

Our last two cruises we ate all meals at the lido buffet- I was surprised to see the same food on the serving line as in the dining room- minus a few selections-- (like lobster)

For me, the only difference between buffet eating and the dining room is we serve ourselves.

Princess had the best experience on buffet dinner.

The tables were set with table clothes, there are waiters to take care of your drink orders- (soda card was well worth it on those cruises)

I felt it was more quiet-- and sitting at a table for two was more personable then it was in the dining room.

I would do it again. (but not my upcoming one where we are taking the grand daughter)

I'm sure there are plenty of people who make the choice not to eat in the dining room at all. We tried the buffet once for dinner and found it just wasn't for us. From now on if we don't feel like getting dressed for the dining room, we'll order room service off the dining room menu.

I'm just not a fan of buffets. But it's your choice and you do what works best for you.

We are very informal people.My husband has not worn a jacket and tie since he retired from work several years ago. We now cruise on the Carnival Cruise line because even on their "elegant" nights, you only need to wear a shirt with a collar and slacks. I can get as dressed as I please and DH can be comfy. We can choose to sit in the dining room or go up to the buffet. We generally eat in the dining room for dinner most nights.

Frankly, it is whatever floats your boat, if you will forgive the pun. I am also retired, and live in shorts and t-shirts most of the year.

We enjoy going to dinner in the dining room and get waited on. I do not mind getting a little dressed up on formal nights.

I respect your position, and if it makes you happy, go for it!

I have done a couple of cruises where I have not set foot inside the MDR. I enjoy being waited on but can certainly live without it. Plus there is the extra freedom of having a nibble on something at 5pm and then going to the buffet after all the crowds have gone around 8.30 or so.

I do however bring 2 shirts and 1 pair of trousers (no jacket, no tie) just in case, for example, I get invited to dinner by excursion companions one night, but also to wear on formal nights so as not to look too out of place when going around the ship in the evening.

Please don’t flame, but DH and I have intentionally chosen on our upcoming 10 day cruise not to pack clothes for the evening meal and will do casual eating either in the Lido restaurants or the Horizon Court or in our room.

I mostly cruise on NCL where casual attire is always allowed. But nevertheless, I usually divide my evening meals about equally between the main dining rooms, the buffet, and room service (fairly limited on NCL). This has worked fine for me! :-)

I only cruise with Carnival and since they have relaxed their dress code I'm more inclined to eat in the MDR almost every night since I can wear a Capri set. If I haven't taken nicer cloths I do the buffet on Elegant Evenings.

Several years ago, Carnival was trialing Bistro dining, which was a section of the Lido dining room, but the tables had cloths and you ordered from a menu just like the MDR. We didn't like our seating assignment in the MDR that cruise so we ended up in the Bistro every night.

I wish that they still had that because I do like being waited on, or more importantly I don't want to stand in line for my food, and I'm fine with the more casual atmosphere.

I eat all breakfasts and most lunchs in the MDR also.

We had a very late booking for a cruise last June, and could only have 2nd sitting- we normally have freedom dining.

We went just once, to meet everyone, and tip the waiters. It was only a 7 night cruise, so we tried the alternative restaurants, and the speciality nights in the buffet.

We took formal clothes, and dressed for Marco Pierre White's restaurant one night....glad we did, as the chef himself was in the kitchen. It's not the dressing so much as the freedom, which we first enjoyed on NCL.

Jo.

We wanted a "no stress" cruise, so we ate when we wanted, mostly in the Windjammer, or room service. We enjoyed not having to dress up, also we liked eating a bit earlier. We like to have 6 smaller meals throughout the day. This keeps us from being "stuffed" and its easier for DH to control his sugar that way.

No more "formal" wear for us, this is true freestyle.

p.s. the room service sandwiches are wonderful.

of course I can only guarantee great meals on the Monarch.. the B2B we did was awsome..

Hi,

My husband & I have only been on 2 cruises -- all Princess, and about to go on our third in February. I love dressing up, but also enjoy going to the Horizon Court and choosing from the buffet. Maybe I'm wrong, but the buffet seems to have a wider selection.

I think we've dined more often in the Horizon Court, but always go to the MDR for formal nights. This is one of many things I love about cruising--different options!

We’ve mostly done traditional dining in the past, have done anytime dining a couple of cruises and have never had a bad experience that puts us off. If anything, we’ve had exceptional waiters who in some cases have been the highlight of a particular cruise.

I would like to hear from those you’ve elected to do the same thing, what your experience(s) was like and have you continued the same “habit.”

Thanks!

When we first started cruising, we did the main dining room and formal nights and the whole nine yards. The last two cruises, we have eaten mostly in the Horizon court and totally enjoyed it. It gave us a lot more free time in the evenings by not spending two hours at dinner. I didn't miss the main dining room at all. Plus, I don't tend to overeat as much at the buffet. I hate being stuffed full at night and trying to sleep.

We have never packed formal clothes nor participated in formal night on any of our cruises. Just not our thing - had to go to multiple formal events per week for work for many years. However, we do respect those who do want to participate in formal night(s) so we eat at the buffet. (These nights are some of my favorite.)

Once Anytime Dining was introduced, we opted for it and only go to the MDR a couple of times per cruise - when we want. It is great.

One of the best dining experiences I have had was on Princess - Ultimate Balcony Dining. It was not the food nor the service, not even the setting (all was spectacular) - it was the fact I did not have to wear shoes! (During the summer months or warm weather, I love to be barefoot.)

As a PP stated - this is your cruise, do as you wish. Have fun!!!!

We are going on our first cruise in April and some of you have made me feel like it's okay if we don't participate in the Formal Nights. I have been spending a lot of time on the Celebrity section of the Forum and if you listen to most of the folks over there, you get the feeling if the men don't wear a Tux to dinner on formal nights then you'll be looked at like you're from the ghetto. I certainly hope that's not the case, but I'm seriously considering telling my husband not to take a jacket and tie and we'll just do the buffet or room service or something on those evenings because I know he really doesn't enjoy wearing a jacket and tie or anything similar for dinner. He just wants to relax on this trip. He's been going through an awful time at work lately and the thought of dressing up for dinner would not be his idea of "fun". I know some enjoy it and that's fine. We can find alternatives!

Thanks

Kelly

We are Buffet Buzzards, although we will use the MDR and speciality dining rooms a couple of times we like to both enjoy a variety of food and control our own portions; a little of this a lot of that. I love stir fry stations!

Last month we never cleared the traditional waitlist. We ended up eating only about half of the dinners in the anytime dining room. The rest of the time we ate in the Horizon. We did eat all three formal nights in the dining room.

Our first time with anytime dining. And hopefully our last. Just not the same experience as traditional.

Thanks!

Cruises are becoming much more relaxed and casual as you might've seen. While for the most part have always had a traditional set dining time, we always choose Anytime Dining - we had the WORST ever experience on a cruise a year ago - the people we set with turned out to be real deadbeat people and started rumors about us not paying our tips (which was none of their business of course) but in fact we did elect AutoPay and from that point on, will never choose a set dining time - we have in fact, met great people along the way by electing to be seated with new people and sometimes we'll dine by ourselves. We did eat at the buffet once during our cruise on the Golden Princess last year only because we wanted to be done at an early time to participate in activities starting earlier in the evening so in a way, it's totally up to you what you choose to do! It's nice though when it is a formal night, that everyone gets dressed up and stays with the theme of the evening but we know that will never happen - just nice if it did!

Archived