Will Princess Drop Mazatlan Call Too?

Rick&Jenny

We were just in Mazatlan last Wednesday on the Sapphire. It was very peaceful then:

January 25Disney Wonder

Disney Cruise LineConcerns about security in Mazatlán following three street-crime incidents near the cruise terminal have prompted Disney Wonder to drop calls through April, the end of its season, and Oosterdam to skip this week’s visit, accoridng to port general director Alfonso Gil Díaz. More cruise cancellations may be in store.

We were there in 2005. It was just OK. On our next visit we stayed on the ship. We had no plans to get off the ship in Mazatlan on our upcoming cruise eve before the shooting.

In general, I don't think the beaches in the Mexican Rivera are that great. Also, not too clean. We saw stray dogs running on them and several people unknowingly stepping in their feces. People have also mentioned jelly fish. Plus it is not easy to relax on the beach with so many vendors. May as well just enjoy the ship. No need to leave the ship to bar hop either, the ship's bars are open while in port.

We were there in 2005. It was just OK. On our next visit we stayed on the ship. We had no plans to get off the ship in Mazatlan on our upcoming cruise eve before the shooting.

In general, I don't think the beaches in the Mexican Rivera are that great. Also, not too clean. We saw stray dogs running on them and several people unknowingly stepping in their feces. People have also mentioned jelly fish. Plus it is not easy to relax on the beach with so many vendors. May as well just enjoy the ship. No need to leave the ship to bar hop either, the ship's bars are open while in port.

Dena, three trips to the MR? If you dislike it so much, why do you go? Just to stay on the ship, I guess.

Mexico, despite the problems you find offensive, is a wonderful county. It is rich in culture, history, art and beauty. The people are so kind and gracious! There is always so much to learn and see. This will be my 7th or 8th (can't remember!) cruise to the MR and I can't imagine what a loss it would be to miss MZ. This town is soooo rich in history, and has the kindest people in any MX port.

It would be a huge loss to drop MZ as a port of call. Dropping MX completely would put an end to my cruise vacations. Why? Well, it's just too dangerous to travel to the Caribbean!

Turns out I was in Mazatlan a couple of days after the shootings, spending the day walking around the old section of town. I found it to be lovely, laid back, and delightful. I didn't know about the crimes, but it wouldn't really have deterred me. I do ride a motorcycle, though, and live in a section of San Francisco that's mixed, both racially and class-wise, so I'm guessing I'm not as risk adverse as any number of cruisers are...

And I'm betting that many. many more of my fellow passengers will die prematurely of heart attacks than drive-bys.

Yes, I cruise to Mexico just to stay on the ship...and I am not the only one. This should not bother you so much.
Ditto. The ship is the destination. On my most recent 10-day cruise earlier this month, I got off the ship in PV and Mazatlan, just to shop for an hour or two. (I got a beautiful sterling silver omega in PV for $105 and a gorgeous, big fire opal pendant set in silver and gold in Mazatlan for $129.) :)

And I'm betting that many. many more of my fellow passengers will die prematurely of heart attacks than drive-bys.
That might well be true but there aren't lawyers standing by to blame Princess for an untimely death or harm.

My son and daughter-in-law are on the Sapphire right now and they have dropped Mazatlan. They were told there were riots was the reason. I saw that a tourist was shot in the tourist area so I think that is the real reason.

My son and daughter-in-law are on the Sapphire right now and they have dropped Mazatlan. They were told there were riots was the reason. I saw that a tourist was shot in the tourist area so I think that is the real reason.

If this is current, it is important to know. I am on the Feb 12th cruise. What are the plans for the Sapphire for your son and daughter-in-law? Are they in Cabo for 2 days? PV?

Thanks

Now lets see, we cannot cruise to Arizona, Moscow is off the list for sure. Egypt is certainly out. Questions about Aruba. Won't go to Jamaica, Mexico is out for sure. Coast of Africa is off limits, Rio is only safe if you have an armed guard with you. I hope Princess considers cruising in the US Mid West or perhaps Alberta soon so that we can book another cruise soon.

We were on the Sapphire for the past two cruises, doing a b2b on Jan 5th for 10 days and then Jan 15th for 7 days. Both stops at Mazatlan were pleasant, no evidence of problems.

However, on the second stop last Wed Jan 19th, an announcement was made for passengers to avoid walking downtown. That was the only "hint" we had, a hint to us only because we had been to Acapulco the week before during the first cruise with two situations there and a much stronger warning given from the captain.

There had been 27 killings in the previous few days before our arrival in Acapulco, as well as a very large political protest right at the dock area also closing off the street for a number of hours. It was loud and unsettling because of the anger coming from the locals and the "riot" mentality than can occur.

We were advised then firmly NOT to go anywhere other than with a designated shore excursion because of the terrible violence. Had we not read online about the murders days before and seen the political protest ourselves, we would have thought that advice was simply a tour excursion marketing tactic.

Actually, we were pretty surprised the Acapulco stop wasn't cancelled because of both happenings.

Would Catalina, San Diego, and Cabo work? Or would the Jones Act stop this?
That would be legal. Not sure if they could schedule a stop in San Diego. HAL, Carnival and other cruiselines turn around here so depending on the schedule, it might not be do-able. A Santa Barbara, Catalina, and Ensenada cruise would be doable.

Actually, we were pretty surprised the Acapulco stop wasn't cancelled because of both happenings.
We fully expected the Captain to announce that we were not docking. I know some people were seriously pissed at even a two hour delay so perhaps they took the chance because of that. Plus, I noticed that they didn't start disembarkation for quite a while. Longer than I would have expected given that we were docked.

Dena, three trips to the MR? If you dislike it so much, why do you go? Just to stay on the ship, I guess.

Mexico, despite the problems you find offensive, is a wonderful county. It is rich in culture, history, art and beauty. The people are so kind and gracious! There is always so much to learn and see. This will be my 7th or 8th (can't remember!) cruise to the MR and I can't imagine what a loss it would be to miss MZ. This town is soooo rich in history, and has the kindest people in any MX port.

It would be a huge loss to drop MZ as a port of call. Dropping MX completely would put an end to my cruise vacations. Why? Well, it's just too dangerous to travel to the Caribbean!

Where in the Caribbean is it remotely as dangerous as Mexico, except maybe Haiti (which nobody goes to, except Labadee which is Haiti in name only)? I like Mexico, and have never had a bad experience, and I have been at least a dozen times, many of those a land vacation. That said, saying you won't cruise if Mexico is dropped because the Caribbean is too dangerous is just plain silly. There are cruises to other places other than Mexico or the Caribbean. :rolleyes:

jc

jc

I hope Princess considers cruising in the US Mid West ....

Well, you meant it as a joke, but until Katrina, we had a terrific little river barge hotel (similar to those that ply the Rhine and other European rivers) called the River Explorer. It was based out of New Orleans and cruised most of the Mississippi, the Ohio and larger tributaries and once only, up the Missouri river. It couldn't match the luxury of ocean going cruise ships, but it was very comfortable, every cabin was a balcony, the food was good, the musical entertainment geared to whatever region and featured local talent who would come aboard for the day, the shore excursions were all free,the staff were friendly, and tipping was absolutely forbidden. It was a totally unique experience, and was more like cruising with all of your friends (and yes, I know about the Delta Queen line!) and it is dearly missed by us BargeMates. :(

Archived