San Gimignano

sippican

We are looking for something a little different in the way of a tour. To be honest, I'm worried about being "museumed" to death in our port- intensive itinerary! Looking at Romeinlimo's offerings from Livorno, I saw the Florence and San Gimignano tour (we are not really interested in visiting Pisa). I browsed through some photos of the town, and I think I'm in love; it's exactly like I've envisioned Tuscany!

Has anyone visited San Gimignano? What were the highlights? Will we be sorry we missed Pisa?

We are looking for something a little different in the way of a tour. To be honest, I'm worried about being "museumed" to death in our port- intensive itinerary! Looking at Romeinlimo's offerings from Livorno, I saw the Florence and San Gimignano tour (we are not really interested in visiting Pisa). I browsed through some photos of the town, and I think I'm in love; it's exactly like I've envisioned Tuscany!

Has anyone visited San Gimignano? What were the highlights? Will we be sorry we missed Pisa?

We loved SG...it is small and easy to see ......and a beautiful drive getting there......and much better than the touristy Pisa.

Go to San Gimignano! Pisa is a tourist trap, with nothing going for it other than the leaning Tower ... which you can't climb. You stand out and front with your arm extended and pose for a photo that looks like you're holding the tower up ... or pushing it over, depending on where you stand. 8,000 gift shops around it selling mini-towers and statues of David. Quite a walk in from the massive bus and car park.

San Gimmy is a real town, with 7 or 8 of the original 42 tower houses still standing. Old medieval town is interesting all on its own, just to wander around, never mind then museums, food, etc. You do have to be somewhat sure-footed on the uneven cobbles and pavement, but then that is typical of any old Italian hill town.

See Cher's movie "Tea With Mussolini". San Gimmy is where the old biddies end up. It really does look like that minus the **** invaders.

Look into a tour that includes it with Volterra, which is an earlier, Etruscan town, for contrast, and not far out of the way.

So, should we skip Florence too in favor of Volterra?

Oh, good grief, no! Skip everything for Florence, if you haven't been. David, the museums. It's Ground Zero for culture. Check the day of the week though, as most museums are closed one day a week. www.aboutflorence.com

Go to San Gimignano! Pisa is a tourist trap, with nothing going for it other than the leaning Tower ... which you can't climb.

Oh my. Okay, let's start with San Gimignano, which is wonderful. It's a bit much to combine it with Florence - you wouldn't have time for a great experience of either place. Combining San Gimignano with Volterra does make sense, as they are more geographically connected. If you are interested in wine, you might ask for a morning in one place, then lunch at a winery, followed by the afternoon visiting the other city.

As for Pisa, I can't agree at all with Wingtips. Yes, there are vendors selling lots of tourist crap, but that doesn't diminish the wonder of the the cathedral, baptistry, the duomo museum and the tower, which you most certainly can climb if you choose to.

As for Pisa, I can't agree at all with Wingtips. Yes, there are vendors selling lots of tourist crap, but that doesn't diminish the wonder of the the cathedral, baptistry, the duomo museum and the tower, which you most certainly can climb if you choose to.

I stand corrected on the tower. It was in bad shape and closed when we were there. Great news if it's open again. And I'll agree the rest was somewhat interesting too, but we could have done that in about half an hour but were there for several.

Agree strongly on the joys and wonders for San Gimignano. Love the character, history and architecture for this hill town. Below are some of my visuals from when we visited there. We had an ice cream cone enjoyed in front the old church there, bought some leather goods, etc. . Driving out of the town, we discovered a great vista point that was seen in the "Tea With Mussolini" movie.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 30,100 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Viewing San Gimignano from a distance with its towers, then pictures of inside the charming town, its interior church both outside and then inside:

SanGimiDistanceTowersCountry.jpg

SanGimiTowerArch.jpg

SanGimiChurchExteriorSide.jpg

SanGimiChurchInterior.jpg

I will share our story about San Gimignano. We have been there several times on on one long driving vacation we spent 4 nights at a wonderful hotel about 2 miles outside the walls (we could see the towers from the pool). One evening we had a delightful dinner in the walled town and did not leave the restaurant until about 11. As we were walking down the main street towards the gates (and our car) we were the only people in the long street. The old fashioned looking lights played against the shadows, it was deathly quiet and a gorgeous evening. My wife stopped, looked around, smiled, and said, "this is the same thing they saw hundreds of years ago. The town is well preserved and does have its charm. Quite a few scenes in the movie "Tea with Mussolini" were shot here. Our only complaint is that during the daytime the town is overrun with tourists, but the only way to avoid that is to spend at least one night in the area and go there after all the tour buses are long gone (not possible on a port day).

Also keep in mind that the buildings are old, but they are full of the typical tourist shops (and also some decent shops).

Hank

Should we choose to drive to these towns on our own, what kind of driving is it and is it EASY/ from Civitavecchia? How much time would it take to get to the car rental agency and then todrive....we have 1 day in port. LATELY rental cars have build in GPS', which would be helpful - Is there parking available (most likely a public lot at the base of the city ? OR for safety sake, is a tour the best option? We are on the fence.....help !!!!!!!!

Should we choose to drive to these towns on our own, what kind of driving is it and is it EASY/ from Civitavecchia? How much time would it take to get to the car rental agency and then todrive....we have 1 day in port. LATELY rental cars have build in GPS', which would be helpful - Is there parking available (most likely a public lot at the base of the city ? OR for safety sake, is a tour the best option? We are on the fence.....help !!!!!!!!

Great questions for those who want to drive in Italy (our favorite hobby). The best rental car option in Civitavecchia is to reserve a car from Hertz since that agency is located a short 2 blocks from the port entrance (there is a free shuttle bus from the pier to the port entrance). With Hertz you can also rent a GPS (a very smart option). There are several other rental car offices in town (including Europcar) but Hertz has the most convenient location. Driving is fine in this part of Italy except for the ring road around Florence (or in Florence) where the traffic can be awful. We actually prefer to pick our way through the back country (2 lane roads) and give Florence a wide berth if going to San Gimignano. Some other interesting towns in that area are Volterra (we love this place) and Colle val d'elsa. Of course there is also Siena but this is a bit further (but doable). At San Gimignano you can either park along the road (outside the walls of the city) if you find a space or at several well-marked pay parking lots also outside the walls (you cannot drive inside the city). It does get crowded at S. Gimignano but we have always found a space. There is a large public lot right near the main city entrance (there is also a supermarket at that location which makes it a congested place) but the issue is that you need to grab a spot at any place where there is room. Personally we just park and pay the price but we have seen some cars parked along the road nearly 1/2 mile from the city as some choose to save a few Euros.

Hank

You can't get to San Gimignano and Volterra from Civitavecchia on a port day, it's about 150 miles each way.

From Livorno, it's less than 75 miles, but because they are smaller roads through towns and over big hills it will take about two hours to get there, and an hour and a half to get back.

GPS units are usually available, but should be reserved in advance. Parking is available outside of the city walls.

Wow, all of this information is so helpful. :D

Thanks to all.

Terry, the photos are amazing. I am convinced that a trip to San Gimignano is exactly what we would like. It will provide a nice balance to some of the other places we plan to visit. Romeonlimo has a tour that combines both Florence and SG. Any thoughts? I know there will be those who will say - not enough time in either place (if I had my way - I'd spend months in Italy), but we realize that we won't get to see everything this trip, and want to combine the usual sights, art and museums with something a little more out of the ordinary.

YES, it appears that San Gimigiano/Volterra is closer to the port of Livorno. How far is SG from Livorno ???

Another fabulous town from the Livorno port, btw, is Pietrasanta and Forte de Marmi....divine. The Mariani Studio is there - they do the Botero bronzes-unfortunately you cannot get in unless you have an in, still it is cool to know about it.

How far is Tarquina and

Ceri and the Etruscan Necropolis from Civitavecchia and is the drive well marked ? Hank, you seem to know everything ![/color]

WOW! Have to agree with Eurocruiser about Civitavecchia (we did not notice this reference). We must have been asleep and were thinking Livorno....not Civ. If you are in Livorno its an easy one-day driving trip. From Civitavecchia it is simply out of the question! As to the rental car dealers, in Livorno the best bet is to use the local Hertz franchiser who is actually known there as Sifracar. You can google their site and contact them directly. They will actually arrange delivery and pick-up inside the port unless stopped by port security. We appplogize for our confusing post (too many Margaritas today :)).

Hank

YES, it appears that San Gimigiano/Volterra is closer to the port of Livorno. How far is SG from Livorno ???

Another fabulous town from the Livorno port, btw, is Pietrasanta and Forte de Marmi....divine. The Mariani Studio is there - they do the Botero bronzes-unfortunately you cannot get in unless you have an in, still it is cool to know about it.

How far is Tarquina and

Ceri and the Etruscan Necropolis from Civitavecchia and is the drive well marked ? Hank, you seem to know everything ![/color]

We have not done this drive in a few years but it was pretty easy and we recall it did not take more then a half hour from the port. But not sure I "know everything" as Euro Cruiser quickily caught my big error about "Civ" vs Livorno. :) DW would tell you she was not very impressed by the Etruscan ruins and preferred going the opposite direction to Ostia Antica which is right near the FCO airport.

Hank

No offer to share them Hank? We're hunkering down here for yet another winter blast and a margarita sounds very good.

Come on down to Puerto Vallarta where we have plenty of Tequilia. As to the weather, well it's a cold winter. Highs are only about 78 and it gets all the way down to the mid 50s at night. On the other hand, there is no snow :)

I have to say San Gimignano is one of my favorite places in Tuscany!! You will step back about 800 years in time when you enter it! Pisa is pleasant enough and it is fun to take silly pictures with the Leaning Tower, but i would say that if the Medieval interests you (as well as award winning gelato!) you should not miss San Gimignano. Volterra is at the top of my Medieval list as well, and they have beautiful alabaster products there. From both San Gimi and Volterra, you will have spectacular views of the classic rolling Tuscan countryside.

I have to say San Gimignano is one of my favorite places in Tuscany!! You will step back about 800 years in time when you enter it! Pisa is pleasant enough and it is fun to take silly pictures with the Leaning Tower, but i would say that if the Medieval interests you (as well as award winning gelato!) you should not miss San Gimignano. Volterra is at the top of my Medieval list as well, and they have beautiful alabaster products there. From both San Gimi and Volterra, you will have spectacular views of the classic rolling Tuscan countryside.

Thanks for your post; we've booked the Florence/San Gimignano tour with Romeinlimo. I've looked at some photos, as well as videos on YouTube, and I think it will provide a nice balance to the museum and art intensive activities. We'll just have to save Volterra for the next trip!

Archived