shopping question

Now you know that I am bored....waiting anxiously for our trip to London and our cruise which is not until July:( but........I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where I could find a small 4 cup coffeemaker in London so that I would not have to bring mine from home. Some of our large supermarkets in the US carry small electrical appliances but I was not sure if was also so in London or if I should look more in a department store. We will be staying in the Kensington area if that helps. Thanks for your help.

Linda

Linda, in Kensington there are all sorts of shops lining the streets. You of course have Harrods, if they don't have it, they will get it.

John Lewis is another good department store. Here is their url and they show what coffee makers they sell http://www.johnlewis.com/Shopping/ProductType.aspx?ARA=Electrical&CAT=Kitchen+Appliances&SCT=Tea+%26+Coffee&PRT=Coffee+Makers&Page=1&Order=0

Remember the power cords will be different in England than they are in the US. Most hotels in London do have a tea maker in the room. It will boil water, and some hotels even provide instant coffee in the room. I am not a coffee drinker but tea drinker so I enjoy the tea. Another idea instead of buying/bringing a coffee maker, bring one of those mesh filters, place it over your tea cup with the coffee grounds and pour the hot water over the grounds right into your cup.

Carol Price

Thanks so much Carol, for your kind reply. I am trying to be good with the packing, just thought that maybe buying a coffeemaker in London would work because I always leave it at the end of our cruise for the room steward anyway. I am really anxious to explore all of those stores in Kensington and beyond:) I am just excited for this cruise period! Have a great day.

Linda

You would need an adapter, too, if you bought one in London, Linda. Golden Princess has US-style electrical outlets. English electricity drives on the wrong side of the street or some such thing and appliances won't be compatible with the on-board electrical system.

Thanks Rob, you are right, just trying:rolleyes: to conserve space. I knew that the adapter would be an issue. Larry thinks this idea is wacky. Oh well. I will probably leave our 4 cup mr. coffee for Renee, she will be embarking just as we are leaving on the 31st. Larry wanted to leave it for you and Margarett but not sure if the desk would keep it that long.

Read your post about the minisuites on the roll call board. Funny, we are feeling the same. We learned our lesson when we booked the AE before, not always a guaranteed upgrade , so we went for the AB again. Toto is right, I don't think that the good deals are in that category. We are pleased with our room though, it is a keeper no matter what ( unless of course the upgrade fairy wants to visit:) )This is definately a very expensive cruise, it has been fun adding up what we have already spent and we still have what another 5 1/2 months or so to go??We are all very excited though. Please give our regards to Margarett!

Linda

Just a quick note for anyone interested, but there is a lovely John Lewis store in Southampton which sells all these electrical products. It's in the very nice West Quay shopping centre (heading there today myself) across the road from the docks, but not in walking distance. They aren't cheap, but a lovely shop to look around. Of course this all depends on how much time you have to spend in Southampton before you embark.

If you want a cheaper store and are travelling by private transfer, you could ask the driver to stop off at Tescos in Winchester where you should be able to get these things but at a cheaper price. It's a good stop-off point on the London to Southampton journey. You can stock up on drinks and snacks to take on board and have a coffee, a nice way to split the 2 hour journey. I've probably pointed this out before, but just incase you didn't read it I've put it in again! Hope this helps.

Cheryl, you are absolutely the best! Thanks for your response. I would love to do some shopping before the cruise, really is okay to ask our driver before he drops us off at port??

Thanks for the tip about the shopping center as well. I may have to check that out too:) ! John Lewis sounds wonderful, is it like a general department store. Not worried about cheap. We are really excited to make this a memorable vacation, so not counting pennies.

Linda

John Lewis sounds wonderful, is it like a general department store.

John Lewis is a quite remarkable organisation, it is wholly owned by it's workers (partners in John Lewis speak). They also own the upmarket supermarket chain called Waitrose which you may see on your travels around the UK.

The John Lewis department stores are, as stated by English Rose, excellent places to shop for just about anything.

Just a quick note for anyone interested, but there is a lovely John Lewis store in Southampton which sells all these electrical products. It's in the very nice West Quay shopping centre (heading there today myself) across the road from the docks, but not in walking distance. They aren't cheap, but a lovely shop to look around. Of course this all depends on how much time you have to spend in Southampton before you embark.

If you want a cheaper store and are travelling by private transfer, you could ask the driver to stop off at Tescos in Winchester where you should be able to get these things but at a cheaper price. It's a good stop-off point on the London to Southampton journey. You can stock up on drinks and snacks to take on board and have a coffee, a nice way to split the 2 hour journey. I've probably pointed this out before, but just incase you didn't read it I've put it in again! Hope this helps.

Once again Cheryl, thanks for all your help. I believe this is where you said you would bring my family on our transfer with your husband's company in July.

On a personal note, I hope that your family is recovering from the loss of your mother-in-law.

Carolyn Smith

Thank you Caroline, we are all doing fine. How very kind of you to ask. Today being Mother's Day has been quite strange and a little different to so many years gone by. As I am a Mum of 2 (11 year old and 13 year old), life goes on and makes you really appreciate your family.

Linda - a stop off en-route is fine, you would be able to do a quick shop whilst the driver has a coffee. It won't be a problem.

Nice to hear from you both again!!

We have a discount store called ARGOS and they stock everything. They are located everywhere and you can find the store nearest to where you will be on their website. You can also look in advance.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=3151&langId=-1&searchTerms=COFFEE&viewType=seeAll&sortBy_1=16384&searchScope=458&searchType=&maxResults=17&fltrCatIds_1=21255&catId_1=21587&catName_1=Furniture&catHits_1=63&catId_2=21255&catName_2=Household+appliances&catHits_2=17

Andy

Thanks so much to all of you in the UK that have answered. You are all so very kind. I hope that all of you know that any of us would be very happy to help if you have questions. Of course, I would venture a guess that noone plans a future trip to Ohio. It is a great state!! Anyway, thanks for all....I cannot wait to go shopping in London!!!!!!:D :eek:

Linda

Archived