Paris Ideas

ropomo

I've booked a transatlantic out of Lisbon and have a 12 hour layover at CDG (Paris). My wife and I have been to Paris several times, but have never managed to make it out of the airport :(. Looking for ideas or anyone with experience in making a dash to see the highlights. I'm leaning towards arranging for a driver for pickup and drop off at the airport.

Thanks,

Richard

I lived in Paris for a couple years.

The advice that I give most people is this: just walk in Paris. If you want to experience the city for the first time, walk. The museums and all the knick-knacks will be there to visit later.

That said, off the top of my head:

- I'd pick the Musee d'Orsay over the Louvre. The Louvre is huge and while it has an incredible array of things to see it's just too big to visit in a hurry.

- If you're into medieval art, the Cluny museum is a must-see. There's an added bonus that there are also a ruined Roman bath you can walk though that was incorporated into the original building.

- If you're in a somewhat ghoulish mood, Pere-Lachaise and especially the Catacombs are really interesting.

- If you want to sit and eat (and enjoy oysters), then I'd say plop down in The Dome and splurge on a couple dozen on the half-shell.

- If you're into church architecture, Notre Dame and St. Germain-des-Pres are really quite interesting. If the weather permits, spend the time to go up in the Notre Dame towers - an awesome view of the city.

With regard to transportation, the RER runs from the airports to the center of Paris and would likely be quicker (not to mention cheaper) than a cab.

I've booked a transatlantic out of Lisbon and have a 12 hour layover at CDG (Paris). My wife and I have been to Paris several times, but have never managed to make it out of the airport :(. Looking for ideas or anyone with experience in making a dash to see the highlights. I'm leaning towards arranging for a driver for pickup and drop off at the airport.

Thanks,

Richard

:cool:Was there is September. Spent 3 days. For twelve hours, I would cab to near Eifel Tower. There, take river cruise. Open boat, Many sights are available from boat. Also consider double decker bus. Took that also, and may be better than boat. Sights are pointed out. Louve is great, but you would see just that:cool: Lunch at outdoor cafes are great:cool:

:cool:Was there is September. Spent 3 days. For twelve hours, I would cab to near Eifel Tower. There, take river cruise. Open boat, Many sights are available from boat. Also consider double decker bus. Took that also, and may be better than boat. Sights are pointed out. Louve is great, but you would see just that:cool: Lunch at outdoor cafes are great:cool:

I agree entirely with this poster who suggested taking a river boat on the Seine. From the boat you can see more sights than you could by walking or even taking the double decker bus. One of our favorite evening trips when we are Paris is to take a "Bateau Mouche" trip which is a four hour dinner cruise on the Seine.

I've booked a transatlantic out of Lisbon and have a 12 hour layover at CDG (Paris). My wife and I have been to Paris several times, but have never managed to make it out of the airport. Looking for ideas or anyone with experience in making a dash to see the highlights. I'm leaning towards arranging for a driver for pickup and drop off at the airport.

Thanks, Richard

As Attapooch and others have noted there are lots of great options to see and love, even in a short time, in Paris. BUT, first let's look at some logistical REALITIES!!!

A "12 hour layover at CDG" does not mean or even close to having even ten hours IN Paris. After a long flight, your time in Paris will be limited in productive value given the significant time it takes to arrive at massive de Gaulle airport, get off of the plane, maybe get baggage, go through customs, walking the long corridors, getting into main Paris, etc. IT ALL TAKES TIME! And planes don't always arrive exactly on time and be at the gate (if you have a gate) at that stated time of arrival. Then, you probably need to be back at the airport door two to three hours BEFORE your schedule departure time. More time hassles with walking long corridors, doing security, walking more, etc. For airport details:

http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-GB/Passagers/Access-maps-car-parks/

The RER could be a smart choice for getting into main Paris. It takes time, however, to get to the rail station, waiting for a train to depart, etc.

Walking around Paris can be great. Agree that d'Orsay Museum could be quick and easier, etc. You might also consider doing a tour through this service:

http://www.pariscityrama.com/en

Below are a few visual samples for what you can see in Paris.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 30,100 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

On a nice Paris day, people are enjoying the Louvre courtyard, the Louvre's famed glass pyramid by architect IM Pei and in the background the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel built in 1805. To get this view, you don't need to enter the museum. : :

LouvreGlaPryr.jpg

At the Tuileries, there are gardens, cafes and places to sit, watch and enjoy near the Louvre:

TulGardensScul.jpg

Inside the d”Orsay Museum with post-1850’s art, an old train station was converted to housing treasures, including from Monet, van Gogh, Renoir, etc.:

ParDOrsyInside.jpg

At the d’Orsay Museum in Paris, this was the grand dining room of the hotel that was part of the previous train station. Now, dining at lunch here breaks up the day during a long day of standing and walking:

ParDOrsDining.jpg

On the wonderfully charming ille St. Louis island, this flower shop is so nice along with other shops there. Lots of markets, dining places, etc., along this street.:

StLouisFlowSp.jpg

In the Marais, this covered walkway is a part of the Place des Vosges that was the prototype for the residential squares of European cities that were to come. These brick designs date to 1612.:

ParMaraisMusic.jpg

Terry

Thanks for the input. I had thought of that and probably should have qualified in my original post that I'm not really comfortable planning anything in excess of about 6 hours or so (door to door).

Richard

It is really better to do it as a walking tour as suggested. I put out a quick tour on another post basically RER to St Me\Ichel get out go to Notre Dame cross over to the other side of the river get a Metro to Arc du Triomphe (Place d'etoille) get out go up and see the Arc mayber wander around the upper champs Elysees then back in the metro to the Tour Eifel. If you walk up to the second level you can get to the top faster than standing in line for the elevator that goes to-the second level. cross over the river to the north side and walk along the bank (it is tree covered on this side and prettier to walk.) at the Pont du Alma take a left up Avenue Montaigne resisting the urge to splurge at Harry Winston or Nina Ricci or any number of other familiar names (Coco anyone?) this will get you the the Champs Elysees turn right cross over the concorde through the Tuilleries Jardin and then head up to Place Vendome say hello tothe Ritz adn Bulgari on your way to the Opera. You must see the Opera Garnier home to the Phantom in fiction but one of the first steel buildings the precursor of all skyscrapers adn the Tour Eifel. Along the way be sure to take liberal time for a lunch. At the Opera you can catch the Roisssy Bus from Air France back to CDG

Archived