What to do in Homer??

jane02

Hi, we are on our first Alaskan cruise in June. I am keen to do something really interesting but finding little information about Homer here on cruise critic.

Any suggestions?

Trip Advisor recommendsTraill End horse adventures , AK bear watching adventures and Trus North kayaking. Has anyone done any of these tours? We are in port from 8am - 6pm.

We like a bit of adventure and a fit and active couple in our 40's.

Thanks

Kellie:):)

Am considering sea kayaking while in Homer but would love to hear from anyone who has rented bikes (mountain) for a few hours/half day exploring trails, etc. Worth it ? Better port(s) to kayak? bike? On 14 day Amsterdam - Ketchikan, Juneau, Anchourage, Homer, Kodiak and Sitka. Thanks in advance.....;)

Homer was our favorite port on last summer's 14 day HAL Amsterdam cruise. We took the guided nature hike offered by the Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies: http://www.akcoastalstudies.org/guided-tours.html

The tour started with a boat ride across Kachemak Bay. We were fortunate to see 2 orcas not too far from the boat. The boat then approached Gull Island, where we saw many gulls, puffins, and sea otters up close. We then reached the CACS Peterson Field Station across the bay and were led on a fascinating guided hike by our naturalist guide. We had 6 people in the group. At the end of the hike, we participated in the Field Station's touch tank. I would highly recommend this tour.

We rented bicycles and rode the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail in Anchorage. I definitely recommend this trail for beautiful cycling. It's not difficult, at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Smokey Bay Air for a half day bear viewing trip to Lake Clark National Park. It's pricey but it's one of the best things I have ever done. Lots of bears really close up. Check out for pictures in the alaska by rv galleries.

Did you take the tour they designed for cruisers? If so, did you have enough time after to do any sightseeing in town?

We did take the tour they designed for cruisers. We could have had about 30-45 minutes for sightseeing on the Spit, but we were a bit tired and therefore decided to head right back to the ship. I think we also could have had about 30-45 minutes for sightseeing before the tour, but we got out a little late.

We did take the tour they designed for cruisers. We could have had about 30-45 minutes for sightseeing on the Spit, but we were a bit tired and therefore decided to head right back to the ship. I think we also could have had about 30-45 minutes for sightseeing before the tour, but we got out a little late.

About how long were you on the boat vs time on the guided hike?

Homer was our favorite port on last summer's 14 day HAL Amsterdam cruise. We took the guided nature hike offered by the Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies:

Would you mind sharing your other excursions you participated in on your cruise? I have been looking at this tour with interest, but not sure if it will be overkill considering all the other things I currently have planned.

If you did a trip report, I would be happy with the link so you don't have to write it out again.

Thanks.

Since so many others had written reviews of the ship, I wrote a review of the ports and our activities:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1262361&highlight=8+ports

For the CACS tour, the great majority of time was on land. If my memory serves me correctly, the boat ride was about 1/2 hour each way, but I'm sure you could ask Melanie Dufour (the tour coordinator at the CACS). When we arrived at the field station, we went into what had previously been someone's retirement home, a gorgeous building that was donated to the CACS and used as their Peterson Bay headquarters. In the warmth of the building, we ate lunch, which we had been instructed to bring with us, and were offered hot coffee or hot chocolate. After lunch, we proceeded on the hike. The hike was not strenuous but was very interesting, because of the guide, and scenic.

Since so many others had written reviews of the ship, I wrote a review of the ports and our activities:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1262361&highlight=8+ports

For the CACS tour, the great majority of time was on land. If my memory serves me correctly, the boat ride was about 1/2 hour each way, but I'm sure you could ask Melanie Dufour (the tour coordinator at the CACS). When we arrived at the field station, we went into what had previously been someone's retirement home, a gorgeous building that was donated to the CACS and used as their Peterson Bay headquarters. In the warmth of the building, we ate lunch, which we had been instructed to bring with us, and were offered hot coffee or hot chocolate. After lunch, we proceeded on the hike. The hike was not strenuous but was very interesting, because of the guide, and scenic.

Thanks so much for your link. Now I have to do some more thinking on it. When I read the description of the CACS tour it sounded exactly like something we would love. We camped most of our lives and always searched out ranger led activities. However, we are already doing a whale watch in Icy Strait, the PWS glacier tour in Whittier, and the marine wildlife tour in Sitka. My DH is also thinking about the Aleutian Ballad tour in Ketchikan. (just not sure if it is worth the price). So, I am just wondering if we will be having too many boat tours. Will have to mull this one over. Thanks again.

I was down on the spit taking photos last summer and walked into the Salty Dog with my camera around my neck. Seemed I screamed TOURIST as everyone stopped talking and turned to look at me. Mostly locals although it wasn't a cruise ship day.

https://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaTravelFun/Homer#5516176416211748690

Great photos!! Thanks for the link. I am hoping I will see the sunshine that day.

Stopped in Homer last year on HAL 14 Night Alaskan Cruise My favorite port of the cruise.The Hop on Hop Off bus was great.Went to Pratt Museum and the beach.We did Taste of Homer Tour.which we loved Visited and sampled Alaskan Beer,Meade and Wine.Then we took the shuttle to the Spit and visited the Salty Dawg and The Time Bandit Booth.Fabulous day.

HAL sponsored that hop on-hop off bus in Homer last year. I believe it was $15.00 pp for the whole day - correct me if I'm wrong, Ann? There were several prearranged stops and you could get on and off at your own pace. The shuttle bus from the ship to the Spit was free and let you off at the Salty Dawg on the Spit.

We'll be on the Amsterdam in May and we were considering renting a car in Homer, but maybe the Hop-on-Hop-off bus and the free shuttle to the Spit will be enough. Does anyone have a list of the prearranged stops that the HOHO bus made last year? Also, did you buy tickets for the bus on board the ship or did you just pay the driver upon boarding the bus?

Archived