Kids Documentation

rango

For embarkation, yes, one can still get away with an official state-issued birth certificate.

However, on our cruise last week on the Miracle, when re-boarding in Cozumel, the local Mexican emmigration authorities were not allowing anyone to enter the pier area without showing photo ID in addition to their sail and sign card. People without photo IDs were getting seriously hassled, and that included parents being asked for photo I.d. of their kids. We had our passports with us (we have them for our children), so we had no problem.

Moral; I wouldn't take my kids ashore in any foreign country without their passports in hand. If you don't want to spring for a passport, at a minimum I'd contact the Auto Registrar's Office in your state and see if they offer some sort of state photo i.d. for children (many do).

The $90 or whatever the cost is now is well worth the piece of mind.

Would never dream of taking my 5 year old daughter out of the country without her passport in hand.

Just so much easier and since hubby and I use ours I don't have to worry about having an extraneous, oddly shaped piece of paper floating around.

If your short on time, that ID would help, but because it is not "government" issued, it may not be valid. Try to get an official ID from the state. Otherwise, I echo the last few sentiments - get a passport. It makes travel so much easier, not just on cruises but in airports too.

If your child is under age 16, then just a birth certificate is required. If they are over 16, then they are required to have a photo ID. A student ID is fine if they don't have a driver's license or passport.

The immigration officials in Cozumel last Thursday weren't making that distinction. They wanted photo i.d. on everyone irrespective of age.

Moral of story:

Despite the fact some here keep repeating them, don't assume the casual old pre-9/11 I.D. standards are still in effect everywhere. The smart money woke up long ago to the fact leaving this country without a passport nowadays is an increasingly risky proposition.

Since most people who cruise do not have a passport (judging by the number of people in the non-passport line vs the passport line at disembarkation) and since most people do not have photo ID for their children, I would think that a fair number of children would have been stranded in Cozumel if that were the case. Certainly that would have made the news, if not the mainstream media, than at least here on CruiseCritic. It didn't. So obviously the children made it back onto the ship.

I too have been to Mexican ports where photo ID was required to enter the pier area. The sign reads "Photo ID required of ALL passengers". That was enough to work people (myself included) up into a panic thinking their children would not be allowed back onto the ship only to find out when they reached the immigration desk that the rule did not apply to children.

I have no doubt that you are reporting what you THINK was the case in Cozumel. However, when a situation does not directly effect you (as this one wouldn't since you had a passport), it is easy to miscontrue what is really going on based on misstated signs and panicked rumors.

Also, I would think that the cruiseline would have been aware of this situation and would have made sure parents were notified of the ID requirements at the time of booking (or at least BEFORE getting off the ship).

Maybe you are right and they really were denying entry to children without photo ID, but I won't believe it until I hear from somebody who actually experienced it for themselves. Is there anybody out there who can confirm this from firsthand experience?

As for passports, I have no doubt that they someday will be required to cruise and they probably are a good idea to have. But the OP asked if photo ID was required for children. As for right now, today, the answer is "no, it isn't".

The immigration officials in Cozumel last Thursday weren't making that distinction. They wanted photo i.d. on everyone irrespective of age.

Moral of story:

Despite the fact some here keep repeating them, don't assume the casual old pre-9/11 I.D. standards are still in effect everywhere. The smart money woke up long ago to the fact leaving this country without a passport nowadays is an increasingly risky proposition.

We sailed on the Miracle on February 13th. Cozumel you will need a photo id to get back on the ship- this was stated as you left the ship. It was also stated on the capers it was for passengers over the age of 16 only. The only time we were asked for a photo id is at the begining of the pier. We were not asked to show the photo when boarding the ship.

Archived