Price Drops

Yup I agree. Call RCCL or your TA. If you haven't made final payment yet, it shouldn't be an issue at all. They will just subtract the price reduction from what you still owe.

Also, take a screen shot of the page with the lower price. If the price goes back up before you can get a hold of someone at RCCL or your TA it might still work.

We once called RCCL to get upgraded b/c of a price drop (after final payment) and while we were on hold (literally) the price went back up. I still had the screen open so I saved a screen shot. It took an hour or so of arguing, emailing the screen shot, being sent to the resolution dept, and putting my BF on the phone...but we got the upgrade :)

If I haven't made my final payment and the price on my cruise has dropped (pretty significantly, almost 500 per person) what is the best way to handle getting the price of my cruise adjusted?

What cruise and what ship are you on?

Why does everyone give up so easily just because it's a Tuesday Sale or Wow Sale and says new booking only??

If Final Payment is not due yet, the person can just cancel! If they want a new booking, fine we'll give them a new booking. "Yeah RCCL, can I get this price drop? Oh it's for new bookings only? Ok go ahead and cancel the cruise. Yeah I'll call back in 5 minutes to book it again...as a new booking."

Chances are they will just deduct the discount from what you owe. If not? Who cares go ahead and cancel it, then call back to rebook.

Why should someone be punished for booking early??

Why does everyone give up so easily just because it's a Tuesday Sale or Wow Sale and says new booking only??

If Final Payment is not due yet, the person can just cancel! If they want a new booking, fine we'll give them a new booking. "Yeah RCCL, can I get this price drop? Oh it's for new bookings only? Ok go ahead and cancel the cruise. Yeah I'll call back in 5 minutes to book it again...as a new booking."

Chances are they will just deduct the discount from what you owe. If not? Who cares go ahead and cancel it, then call back to rebook.

Won't happen. The person can't just cancel!

To cancel and rebook flags the booking.

Wow sales are for new bookings. Tuesday sales are for new bookings.

Those are the rules and RCL won't budge!

You are absolutely correct ... it's carved in stone on the wall of RCI headquarters in Miami. Whether you're a newbie or one of those new Pinnacle cruisers ... in a word, NO!

What has been everyones experience with the price drop after the final payment? Has anyone gotten onboard credit?

If you booked prior to May 17, 2010 you'd be grandfathered in, and would receive the difference, likely in onboard credit. If you reserved after the date, you're out of luck. The best you can hope for is an upgrade, provided that the price of that category is reduced.

It all makes business sense, and is in line with other cruise lines' policies. Why would Royal Caribbean give you something you didn't have when you booked? You were obviously safistied with the terms when you signed on. Someone in Miami finally woke up.

I agree with SeaUs on this one, but there is also this:

I have never seen a cruise on the Tuesday special that was outside of final payment. They are usually within a few weeks.

Well it might have worked for me once.

A year or so ago we made the final payment before it was due and I noticed a price drop. I called to have amount credited to my account and the guy was adament that he could NOT refund any money. He said all he could offer me was onboard credit. He said there was "no way" he could refund any money to the CC.

It was before final payment was due, so I did exactly what I described above and said that I'd like to cancel the cruise and would call back in 5 minutes to rebook. He put me on hold for a while, then came back and said he would credit the difference to my CC.

It wasn't until I read threads on Cruise Critic much later that I thought back to that and wondered if it was a Tuesday sale or something...since he was so insistant that he couldn't refund the difference.

A year or so ago we made the final payment before it was due and I noticed a price drop. I called to have amount credited to my account and the guy was adament that he could NOT refund any money. He said all he could offer me was onboard credit. He said there was "no way" he could refund any money to the CC.

It was before final payment was due, so I did exactly what I described above and said that I'd like to cancel the cruise and would call back in 5 minutes to rebook. He put me on hold for a while, then came back and said he would credit the difference to my CC.

It wasn't until I read threads on Cruise Critic much later that I thought back to that and wondered if it was a Tuesday sale or something...since he was so insistant that he couldn't refund the difference.

He may have just been a PITA. ;)

What you describe was not a sale that was for new bookings only such as Tuesday sales or Wow sales. If they were, you would not have been offered OBC let along money back

Thanks so much everyone, I'll be sailing the Western Med. for my honeymoon in May 2011 on Adventure for almost $700 less then the original price! Good thing I didn't listen to my silly fiance about just paying it all right away to get it checked off the to do list :)

Archived