New PVP

So my PVP moved on within the company. Yesterday I received a cold call from another PVP. It was apparent that this guy didn't look at my cruise history before he called. We have been on 10 Carnival cruises. When I give this guy dates we are looking at, he goes into this "awesome new program we have called Early Saver". When I explained that it wasn't new and I knew the details, he then decided he needed to explain the difference between inside, ov and balcony. Not off to a good start. Thinking about just booking online or calling the 800 number.

When I returned from my last cruise a PVP called me and I told her I was thinking of booking another cruise. She said she would send me her business cards stc. in the mail. That was last April:rolleyes:

I have booked with my local TA that I have always used.

She is always there and dependable:D

I like being able to walk into her office and talk to her or get her on the phone.

PVP, no thanks.

So my PVP moved on within the company. Yesterday I received a cold call from another PVP. It was apparent that this guy didn't look at my cruise history before he called. We have been on 10 Carnival cruises. When I give this guy dates we are looking at, he goes into this "awesome new program we have called Early Saver". When I explained that it wasn't new and I knew the details, he then decided he needed to explain the difference between inside, ov and balcony. Not off to a good start. Thinking about just booking online or calling the 800 number.

It's a shame we cannot pass along the names of our PVP's. We have a

great one we've used for our past 4 cruises. Hope she doesn't move on.

It's a shame we cannot pass along the names of our PVP's. We have a

great one we've used for our past 4 cruises. Hope she doesn't move on.

What makes a great PVP?

Sounds like OP got a call from a PVP straight out of training. We've received emails from unknown PVPs thanking us for talking to them about our upcoming Carnival cruise when we haven't talked to them or even had a cruise scheduled.:rolleyes:

Charlie

why not ?
Discussions about specific travel agents or agencies is prohibited on Cruise Critic.

It does reduce the amount of "advertising" that can be done under the guise of friendly information. OTOH it can be nice to know the specific good/bad/ugly of an agent.

Charlie

We too had the PVP from heaven............... had him for 9 years until I called and was told "he no longer works here" I was so upset, especiallty not knowing where he went............ then I get calls and calls from a different PVP with messages on my phone like she has been our PVP for those nine years, saying she is our PVP. Hmmm............. How about the "new" PVP introducing herself and "offering her services" instead of acting like she has always been our PVP????????:rolleyes:

Give all new PVP's a break.

They are just doing their job, to sell.

I agree. When PVP's are trained, they are taught to provide the same type of scripted information, whether the person at the other end of the line is going on their first cruise or 20th. Over time, they figure out their own spiel based on who their guest is, and the experience becomes much more personal.

BTW, my PVP is awesome as well. She's been helping us for years, and knows better than to give me a long speech on the differences between an inside and an oceanview cabin! :D

My PVP has left Carnival as well. I don't know the circumstances, but she was my PVP for SEVERAL years. I miss her terribly. I haven't gotten a call from anyone introducing themselves as my new PVP. And I am reluctant to just call the 800 number and get anyone. I guess my PVP spoiled me, as I was always able to call and talk to her about pricing, upgrades, bookings, questions, etc. Now what?? :eek:

It would be a service to CC members if they would allow people to post the good PVP's. And it would be a service to Carnival if CC would allow the negative as well - good learning tools for training their PVP's!

What makes a great PVP?

Sounds like OP got a call from a PVP straight out of training. We've received emails from unknown PVPs thanking us for talking to them about our upcoming Carnival cruise when we haven't talked to them or even had a cruise scheduled.:rolleyes:

Charlie

Good question Charlie,

For me a great PVP will give you the info. requested on a timely basis and keep their database up to date on YOUR preferences for ports, dining times, cabin choices etc. They will be accessible during reasonable business hours. They give you helpful information along the way.

I suggest mine to my family and friends for all the above reasons AND due to the fact that on a previous booking. We were faced with a possible cancelation of a cruise 3 days prior to sailing. This was a Christmas gift to our DS, DIL, and DD. My father in law was in a life and death situation. Our PVP gave me her personal Cell phone number and told me to call any time of day or night if there was anything she could do. Personally, I will never forget that level of service that goes above and beyond what the Manual calls for!!! Matter of fact I have a cousin that has an internet travel agent website that I will use for any other travel booking, BUT not for my CCL bookings!!!!

You can always call Carnival and request a different PVP. I had one I didn't like, cruised with a friend and started using her PVP. I love him. Then I got an e-mail from Carnival assigning me a new PVP, so I called mine immediately and said I do not want to leave him. :D He said no prob, and had me reassigned back to him!!! And yes I have his cell number, hope I never have to use it.

I received calls from a PVP and told her I already had one, and they told me she was no longer with the company. Well I emailed my PVP just in case, and come to find out she was still there. I continued to get calls from this new PVP, but told them I didn't need their service.

This was a few years ago.

As far as a great PVP...I live on the westcoast, she is availble in the late evenings, weekends. Always calls me back immediately. Has all the information on each member of our family (kids and grandkids). Makes sure we get the best rates and cabins. And is just plain nice!

Give all new PVP's a break.

They are just doing their job, to sell.

I have no problem with someone learning the ropes.

But to get an email letting me know that they were happy to talk to me about our upcoming cruise when:

1. We didn't talk
  2. We had no cruise booked

shows a lack of training, IMHO. Not the fault of the newbie PVP.

If they are not trained in making the initial contact, what other areas could be lacking? How knowledgable are they about the product they sell? How reliable are they going to be?

We had a TA who had many of the attributes of the good PVPs mentioned here. Had her home phone number, etc. One time she even returned a call while she was standing in line at the Grand Ole Opry on her vacation. Sadly she retired and we're on our own.

Charlie

We have always used a cruise travel agent here in town (6 cruises), so I don't really know what a PVP is. Are they just travel agents that work for Carnival? What is the benefit of using them over a local TA?

Tim

PVP is the Carnival term for Personal Vacation Planner. They are the customer service agents that sell and service the Carnival product. All cruise lines have them (know by different names).

The PVP can be knowledgable or not. Just check out some of the testimonials in this thread. If they know the ropes of Carnival they can help you get the right cruise for you and your family. If not, they are only sales people IMHO.

Same goes for TA's. Some are great, some not so much. You can search the CC boards and find stories of TA's that really take care of their customers. Then there are others that book the cruise and have nothing more to do with their customers. Search around and you can find some real horror stories.

If you have a TA that you're happy with and they take care of your needs, hang on to them and don't worry about using a PVP or other lines agents.

Charlie

I've never used a PVP before. Either booked online myself, or called the toll free number. Last Friday night, I booked cruises for me and DH and two other couples. On Saturday, I received a call from a PVP who stated he was my new PVP and wanted to let me know about the special promotions they had. I never had a PVP, so yes, he was a new one to me.

I explained that I had already booked cruises the night before and he pulled up my info, confirmed everything and asked if there was anything else he could assist me with. As it happens, DH's cruise history is spread over several Past Guest numbers. We have requested fixes online several times and it never really got fixed. The next day, I looked and all of his history was combined into one PG number. Chalk one up for my new PVP.

Then, we saw a price drop, and he fixed that for us.

This is a person who didn't even sell us our cruises, and he has done everything he could to assist us. So yes, I now have a new PVP! And I hope to keep him!

PVP is the Carnival term for Personal Vacation Planner. They are the customer service agents that sell and service the Carnival product. All cruise lines have them (know by different names).

The PVP can be knowledgable or not. Just check out some of the testimonials in this thread. If they know the ropes of Carnival they can help you get the right cruise for you and your family. If not, they are only sales people IMHO.

Same goes for TA's. Some are great, some not so much. You can search the CC boards and find stories of TA's that really take care of their customers. Then there are others that book the cruise and have nothing more to do with their customers. Search around and you can find some real horror stories.

If you have a TA that you're happy with and they take care of your needs, hang on to them and don't worry about using a PVP or other lines agents.

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie.

I've never used a PVP before. Either booked online myself, or called the toll free number. Last Friday night, I booked cruises for me and DH and two other couples. On Saturday, I received a call from a PVP who stated he was my new PVP and wanted to let me know about the special promotions they had. I never had a PVP, so yes, he was a new one to me.

I explained that I had already booked cruises the night before and he pulled up my info, confirmed everything and asked if there was anything else he could assist me with. As it happens, DH's cruise history is spread over several Past Guest numbers. We have requested fixes online several times and it never really got fixed. The next day, I looked and all of his history was combined into one PG number. Chalk one up for my new PVP.

Then, we saw a price drop, and he fixed that for us.

This is a person who didn't even sell us our cruises, and he has done everything he could to assist us. So yes, I now have a new PVP! And I hope to keep him!

Sounds like a keeper to me;)

Charlie

...but to get an email letting me know that they were happy to talk to me about our upcoming cruise when:

1. We didn't talk
  2. We had no cruise booked

shows a lack of training, IMHO. Not the fault of the newbie PVP.If they are not trained in making the initial contact, what other areas could be lacking? How knowledgable are they about the product they sell? How reliable are they going to be

Some of these random emails are many times not the product of the PVP, but that of Carnival's Marketing department. Several of these "Thanks for your call" or "It was a pleasure speaking with you" emails are automatically generated when your PVP updates your profile.

As mentioned before, I've been using the same PVP for six years, and once in a while, I get some of these canned emails. I've asked my PVP why she sends these, and she's told me that many times, she doesn't even know they've been sent. Marketing does it automatically for them. It's an effective (although very genetic) way to keep in touch with thousands of guests, but as you've experienced, it can leave you scratching your head...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to Carnival and have a PVP question: are you only assigned a PVP if you call to book or will you be assigned one when you book online instead? I prefer to do things online since I'm on the west coast and have a weird schedule since I'm a full-time student, but I feel like it would be nice to have a specific person to call in case I had a question or request. Thanks!

Archived