REVIEW (Part 1) - Galaxy Panama Canal 2/14/05

LoneStarJeffe

Galaxy Review

Departure: 2/14/05 from Galveston

Itinerary: Twelve Night Panama Canal (partial transit)

Overall Rating: 5 Stars

This was our third cruise and it has been twelve years since the last one. We previously cruised on a three night cruise on Carnival and a seven night cruise on HAL. I strongly believe understanding expectations before the cruise is essential to understanding the overall rating given. Our expectations were to relax and unwind. We didn’t book any excursions. We didn’t plan ahead but took each day as it came. We both enjoy reading and relaxing while the ocean passes by. So, perhaps the bar wasn’t raised too high for us to give five stars. But the Galaxy exceeded our expectations every single day.

EMBARKATION – We live an hour’s drive away from Galveston and I have to say it is truly relaxing not to have to deal with flying out to meet the ship. We had arranged parking at EZ Cruise and that went very well. We arrived at EZ Cruise around 1:45pm. From the time I turned off the engine to getting to the cruise terminal was between fifteen and twenty minutes. After the secuirty screen we proceeded to check-in. Since we booked a suite, we had priority check-in and that went very smoothly. No line and no delays. Everyone at EZ Cruise and at the cruise terminal were friendly and professional. By the way, although I had a passport, my wife used her birth certificate and Texas driver’s license. She had no problems. Obviously a passport is preferred and she will have one for our next cruise. The cruise terminal is still under construction but although it clearly had work left to do, the interior layout was straight forward and presented no obstacles. Likewise, the gangway was a temporary construction but did the job. We had our photo taken and walked on board. Isn’t it a great feeling taking that first step on board your ship after waiting so long to get there? :) We were greeted with the complimentary beverage (nice!) as a white gloved attendant took our carry on baggage and led us to our cabin. Smooth, no problems, and no stress. Perfect way to start a cruise. Five stars.

STATEROOM – As I mentioned, we had booked a suite. But not a sky suite! Let me explain. I had read so many reviews about how wonderful the balconies were on the sky suites. I have absolutely no doubt they are just as described. But there is a tradeoff. Privacy and shade. We preferred to have a balcony that is completely covered. Neither of us were interested in sun tanning. And we did not like the idea that people could look down on our balcony from a higher deck which can happen with sky suites. So we choose a suite on deck 10 that had a smaller balcony but was fully covered. Most people wouldn’t make that decision and I would not disagree. But we knew what we wanted and this cabin suited our needs perfectly. We had cabin 1063 which has the same inside space as a sky suite but a smaller balcony. The room was clean and beautiful. It had plenty of storage for all the clothes we brought for a twelve night cruise. Cabin 1063 is located on the port side right next to the mid-ship stairs and elevators. My only concern was possible noise. We never heard any noise outside our stateroom. It was very quiet the entire cruise. As an added bonus, we found the location both convenient to the Lido Café one deck up and to the main entertainment decks. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom, including whirlpool tub, was a huge improvement over the last time we sailed on a cruise. Overall, I would give the stateroom five stars since the lack of noise and easy access exceeded my expectations.

In the next installment, I will cover my opinion of the condition of the Galaxy and the food. Ahh, the food...I still "carry" those memories...

Thank you so much for a thoughtful beginning to your review. We've been on Galaxy three times in the past three years, and do enjoy her Sky Suites. It is very heartening to hear you say that the SS was clean and that the bed was comfortable. Daily use by happy cruisers has been taking its effect on the furnishings. It would be helpful if you could elaborate on the condition of the suite and condition/type of bed. When we were aboard her last October, the bed was sagging in the middle and lumpy.

Looking forward to your next chapter! -- and welcome home!

Thank you so much for a thoughtful beginning to your review. We've been on Galaxy three times in the past three years, and do enjoy her Sky Suites. It is very heartening to hear you say that the SS was clean and that the bed was comfortable. Daily use by happy cruisers has been taking its effect on the furnishings. It would be helpful if you could elaborate on the condition of the suite and condition/type of bed. When we were aboard her last October, the bed was sagging in the middle and lumpy.

Looking forward to your next chapter! -- and welcome home!

Our room on the Galaxy 2/14/05 sailing (1041) was very clean and comfortable (although based on a pretty conspicuous empty spot in the corner, I think we were missing a chair and table). The bed was queen size and one of the most comfortable encountered on our cruises. I have trouble finding much fault with the ship's condition overall, given its age. I think it has a very nice, comfortable, lived-in feeling. I never noticed worn carpeting, but I did notice that it was always clean.

Our room on the Galaxy 2/14/05 sailing (1041) was very clean and comfortable (although based on a pretty conspicuous empty spot in the corner, I think we were missing a chair and table). The bed was queen size and one of the most comfortable encountered on our cruises. I have trouble finding much fault with the ship's condition overall, given its age. I think it has a very nice, comfortable, lived-in feeling. I never noticed worn carpeting, but I did notice that it was always clean.

Thanks so much for the feedback. My husband has a bad back, and he notices the quality of the beds!!! If you thought it comfortable, there is hope for us! Thanks...and welcome back.

Hi Lonestar,

We're in SS 1051 and 1061 suite which is classified as a sky suite with the same amenities. That's what we paid for. Are they different other than the larger balconies. Don't they get the same amenities? In your post it sounded like it wasn't as nice as the SS on the 12th deck?

Jeffe, thanks for your review. Looking forward to the next part as a reminisce!:)

Videogirl, there is no difference other than the larger balcony on 12.

Pincus, we had 1045 in November last year. The bed was ok. Not really comfortable, but ok. I'm not the World's best sleeper at the best of times though. I have read on these boards that your butler will be happy to provide an "egg crate" matress if it proves to be uncomfortable for you.

Phil

Jeffe, thanks for your review. Looking forward to the next part as a reminisce!:)

Videogirl, there is no difference other than the larger balcony on 12.

Pincus, we had 1045 in November last year. The bed was ok. Not really comfortable, but ok. I'm not the World's best sleeper at the best of times though. I have read on these boards that your butler will be happy to provide an "egg crate" matress if it proves to be uncomfortable for you.

Phil

Phil, thanks for the reply, and for the "egg crate" suggestion.

Archived