Bringing Fins?

Crowsnesters

We received our final documents today for our Feb. 9 Society Islands and Tuamotus cruise. We have booked 5 snorkling outings since we really enjoy snorkling and have done land tours on Bora Bora and Moorea. We have our own masks and snorkels, but we don't have fins. Since they are not available on board we wondered if we should buy them and bring them. Has any one done this? Or are there any other comments. Thank you.

Have been on two PG cruises before (11 and 14 days) and will go on another 14-day this Fall. We always take our own mask and snorkel, but found the fins available free on PG to be just fine and not taking them saves space in our luggage. Once you have settled in to you cabin, just walk to the ship's marina deck and they will supply anything that you still need at no additional charge for the duration of the voyage. Don't forget to pack water shoes and sunscreen!

Thank you Emdee and Mikenbob. I had the impression that fins weren't available, but after I posted this I read in the shore excursion booklet that the complimentary snorkel equipment you can pick up on board included mask, snorkel, snorkling vest,FULL FOOT FINS, and snorkling bag. It is nice to have this confirmed. :D

IICaptain,

The PG tenders in all ports and there are regular tenders taking you to land. Tenders will also ply to Motu Mahana and the BB Motu.

Transport on land is sketchy and even taxis can be few and far between. Very seldom will you find someone waiting on the dock to give you a tour ( Bora Bora was an exception) and we have had great difficulty finding a taxi in Moorea.

I was wondering about the snorkel equipment too. I looked into buying what they call travel fins which are smaller and lighter that are supposed to cause less coral damage and less sand being kicked up. I just can't make up my mind wether to buy a set that includes those fins, mask, snorkel and bag or use PG's.

Martini Cruiser

The PG equipment is just fine and would not bother with bringing own fins...also, when the conditions are right, the snorkling from the Bora Bora motu can be decent (free from ship - check tender schedule)

for those who love to snorkle, if you have ever thought about trying a discover scuba experience, the PG dive staff is top-notch and the beginner diving conditions extraordinary!

have fun!

On our trip I brought my own equipment, including fins, but only because I have big feet (size 15). My wife only brought her mask and snorkel and used the ships fins and vest. The ships equipment is fine and I would not drag the fins with me, except for my big feet.

I did four dives plus countless snorkeling excursions including the five days pre cruise at an OWB at the Hilton on Moorea.

Archived