Carnival Elation- need reviews

bharkins12

I've seen mixed reviews regarding the Carnival Elation. I kinda feel like you get out of it what you put into it, and should go into the cruise with out blinders on - knowing about the photographers, non-gormet food, etc. Can I get some feedback on how others feel about the Elation. I've cruised on the Fantasy - how does it compare?

I haven't booked yet, and am apprehensive after reading reviews.

Thanks

Beth

Elation is a newer sister ship to Fantasy, so at least you will know your way around.

Elation was on the west coast, so it did not get the waterworks up grades, and doesnt have a balcony category. 4 of the Fantasy class ships got balconys added, converted from OV cabins.

Carnival tries to be consistent across its fleet .. so if you were on Fantasy, you should pretty much know the kind of food and activities to expect and if you were satisfied.

I just got off Ecstasy and had a great time. Of course it helped our weather was fabulous.

I am sailing on the Elation on the 7th, I'll let you know. I really don't pay too much attention to the reviews out there, especially the ones that go too far one or the other. I usually find more belivability in the middle of the road reviews.

I was on Ecstasy prior to the retrofit and I loved her. Since you have been on the Fantasy you know somewhat to expect, so just go and enjoy!

I sailed on the Elation three times last year out of Mobile. I absolutely love this ship! To me, it's very different than the Fantasy. The Fantasy has a lot of blue neon and the Elation looks more sedate in it's nature. A lot of what I call "old world" details (wood grain, not a lot of neon, etc.). As Fire said, the top deck does not have the big slides ... just pools.

The staff has changed several times last year but I found them all to be very friendly and helpful. There will always be those one or two that might be having a bad day. I, personally, found the ship clean and no odd smells. We usually stay Mid ship on the M or U deck.

I love the Elation so much that I'm sailing on her again in 5 days for our Annual Super Bowl cruise. I have tons of pictures (look in my profile) in my travel blog.

We have been on the Elation twice in the past 6 months. We had a great time. This last cruise we did the Chef's Table and could have not been more pleased.

However, we are not hard to please. We book interior cabins. We understand if one food choice is not the greatest, there are multiple other options. I believe a day on a cruise ship beats a day at work anytime!!!:)

Thanks kitcatsz, but apparently I too technologically challenged to figure out how to get to your pics:)

If you have a couple of secs could you give me more specific instructions??? I would love to view the pictures if I could figure out how!

And thank everyone for their responses!

We cruised on the Elation last Aug 2010 and it was our first.

I found it very clean, very well kept up and all of the staff (with the exception of one lady having a bad day) very nice, and seemed to be everywhere. Loved our MDR waiters. They were a hoot.

The food was fine, some of it quite good - if I had a complaint, it would be that I wished they could get the temperatures under control with the food, i.e. cold food - Cold, not tepid and hot food - Hot, not just warm. But considering this was banquet food, I was quite pleased.

There was a smell in one area of the buffet room, and it did not bother the rest of our party, but I smelled it. But I have been accused of an over active nose, it did put me off.

We got room service for breakfast every morning and they delivered on the dot, or even a little before. Same lady every time. We tipped $4-5 every morning for this.

Loved all the activities, though I enjoyed laying around the pool just as much.

It was a great experience for a first time cruiser. We would cruise the Elation again in a heart beat.

I just returned from my first Carnival cruise on the Elation. I thought it to be a nice ship. A little wear and tear in the stateroom, but nothing major. Staff is very friendly. The port is very easy getting in and out. I like how they have a grill by the pool area, liked the adult pool area, show were fine.

We sailed the Elation in August and just got back from 9 days starting January 1st.

I found the food, service etc to be on par with Carnival's standards.

I think the Elation is the prettiest of the Fantasy class ships. I love the LONG bar in the Promenade.

The Elation currently has an excellent soloist in the Promenade and a rocking cover band (Music Degree).

On the January cruises, the number of daily activities seemed to be lacking. I have not done a minute by minute comparison with our August cruise...it is just a "feeling" that I got.

Karaoke host was good.

I think it will deliver on Carnival's reputation of giving you the best bang for your cruise dollar.

kitcatsz...loved your pictures. we are booked on the Elation for May. I ignore most reviews and wait to form my own opinion...but have to admit with so many bad ones on this ship I was beginning to worry. Thanks for easing my mind. Also glad to see the porthole cabin as this is the 1st time we have booked one.

Also glad to see the porthole cabin as this is the 1st time we have booked one.

We usually do OceanViews on the Fantasy ships and suites on the larger ships. My husband convinced me into a Port Hole last December.... it is the best bargain on the ship, in my opinion! Truly!

And, I honestly can not see why this ship gets so many bad reviews. We are not picky but my brother is super picky and he loved the Elation and staff. I agree with LHP, it's my favorite of the Fantasy class. Also, to agree with LHP, onboard activities were lacking in December vs. our August cruise (I think I was sailing with LHP in August!). But, we always make the cruise ours whether there are activities or not. ;) Make sure to attend Tea Time. My favorite!

Nana6 - when are you booked in May? We are booked on the May 7 cruise to Jamaica. Is that the one you'll be on? Also, I was puzzled by such bad reviews, but then again, there were some great reviews??? I guess everybody's different.

I've sailed Elation twice, one 7 and one 6 day cruise. The only negative I have is the theater. I doesn't have normal seating, instead it has large restuarant style booths. Otherwise the ship is great. It is an older ship but offers great bargains. The cabin size is comparable with the rest of the fleet. I'd go again in a heart beat.

I didn't care for the elation. I didn't write a review on cruise critic because I felt like it would be nit picky. Anyway, I was "done" with elation after 72 hours and ready to be off! Glad I went for the experience but just make sure you go with realistic expectations. Overall it felt to me like a motel 6. Very vegasy to me but cheap Vegas. I love Vegas but we tend to stay at the Venetian which is kind of a ridiculous place but fun. Other than Vegas we tend to stay at places like courtyard Marriott. Elation felt kind of gross and sticky to me. It felt gaudy and cheap. There didn't seem many activities to participate in and no one was swimming in the cold sea water pool. The best word that comes to mind when I think of elation is "icky."

BUT it has many fans so I think the problem is not elation but just not a good fit for my tastes. The food was great!! I met so many nice and interesting people. It was relaxing and I had a great time on port excursions.

Archived