Liberty - Ship Time versus Island Time

The last time I was on the Liberty which was in May, I can tell you that they did not change time. But wait..... not for the reason you think... it was because we were on Daylight Saving Time which made it the same time as Atlantic Standard Time, therfore no change. So it depends on when you are going as to whether or not a time change is possible and whether or not the ship elects to change time. I have been on the same ship (not the Liberty) on the same itin at different times and have had it both ways. The bottom line is you may not be absolutly sure until you are on the ship. If you are concerned about an independent tour time, a reputable tour operator will adjust to the situation.

My experience is that the ship always stays on its original time of the inital port. If you are cruising out of Florida, the ship will always stay on Eastern Standard Time. There is always a difference between 'ship time' and island time, if you are traveling to the central time zone (Mexico). This has always been my experience.

My experience is that the ship always stays on its original time of the inital port. If you are cruising out of Florida, the ship will always stay on Eastern Standard Time. There is always a difference between 'ship time' and island time, if you are traveling to the central time zone (Mexico). This has always been my experience.

Ships sometimes do change their time to match local time when there is a difference, sometimes they do not. There is no hard and fast rule about it; it is always up to the discretion of the Captain. When they do change times, it will be well announced.

Thanks so much for all of the quick answers. We're cruising next week. I guess our independent tour times will be "island time" in St. Thomas and St. Maarten and we'll have to adjust ourselves accordingly if the "ship time" doesn't change from EST.

It seems to make life so much easier when they do change the ship time ahead an hour though. Maybe I should start cruising in the summer when there's no difference! ;)

On 1-16-11 my wife & I (and a friend & brother-in-law) did a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise on Liberty of the Seas. They kept to EST the whole cruise. This led to a problem, as I booked a private scuba diving excursion with a great outfit called Living Underwater (http://www.livingunderwater.com) & gave them times in port based on the posted intinerary times from RCI's web site, which were 'wrong' by Cozumel time.

Richard.

Archived