Laptops on board the ship

kelkel2

Ok so I really like to bring my laptop with me just for fun, but how does the wireless work? Can I pay for it in advance? I have heard that the computers are really slow so if you need one just bring your own. I don't NEED it by any means, is it worth the price for wireless? How much does it cost?

You can purchase a package in advance on the cruise Personalizer on Princess.com. If you do, you get some extra minutes.

It is not the computers that are slow, it is the internet connection. It is via satelite. If you bring your laptop, use it to write emails offline and then connect to send them.

It's not the computers that are slow, it's the link to the internet. With all the computers in the computer cafe along with who knows how many personal laptops attempting to use the limited bandwidth available, performance slows to a crawl.

Wireless using your own laptop or smartphone and the use of desktops in the cafe cost the same. You can use either on the same internet package.

Lew

The wireless cost is the same as the internet cafe. There is a base price of about .95 per minute, then there are packages.

Packages come with free bonus minutes if you buy them before you board, and also (but less minutes) on the first day - embarkation day.

For example by buying now I got 250 minutes for 105.00 with a bonus of 60 minutes. Total 310 minutes.

I can never find the price list but if you search the princess site you may.

Internet is very slow. However if you are using your own laptop you can read and compose e-mails off line and use the internet only to send and recieve.

Like you I agonized over the decision, but have decided to take mine! Good luck deciding!

As other have said, write your emails offline then connect and send.

Time matters, I send must thing in the early morning 8AM - 10AM. It just seems faster and less people are on the system.

If you need to browse. Go to TOOLS -> INTERNET OPTION -> ADVANCED tab on top, scroll down to MULTIMEDIA and uncheck all items. This shuts off all graphics and will speed things up.

If you really need to see something then turn it back on look at it and shut it off after viewing.

framer

It's not the computers that are slow, it's the link to the internet. With all the computers in the computer cafe along with who knows how many personal laptops attempting to use the limited bandwidth available, performance slows to a crawl.

Wireless using your own laptop or smartphone and the use of desktops in the cafe cost the same. You can use either on the same internet package.

Lew

It is important to note that the connect time remains the same whether using your own laptop or the ship's computers in the internet cafe.

The ship's computers only enable web access, so if one is composing emails it has to be done while connected, using connect time. The power of the laptop is that one can compose emails offline, and then use connect time to send. it is truly amazing how much connect time that can save.

Similarly if one downloads a large file from a web page, it is possible to disconnect then read the content if you have your own laptop. My wife did this for a daily prayers website. Then you are reading while not connected.

Yes, by all means bring along your laptop. I have old refurbished DELL that I haul along on cruises. Buy yourself a package, get the instruction sheet from the Internet Cafe and away you go. The WIFI is sloooow but works, I usually find that I use about 250 to 300 mins on a 7 day cruise...but just use email and scan a couple of newspapers each day, not a lot of surfing.

Archived