Walking tours in Venice..

aussie2324

We have 1 & 1/2 days in Venice with the Magic in October. As we have never been there before I am at a loss as to what to do there. CCL have really nothing in the way of tours to offer. I am thinking maybe a walking tour as we like history. But some of the companys I have looked at all want you to meet them in St Marks square. Does the port or town provide transport to the square ?

Some cruise lines provide transport to Piazzale Roma, but probably not to Piazza San Marco; it's best to check with your line to be sure.

The most direct way there is via Alilaguna, route M. You can read about it here: http://www.alilaguna.it/lineamarrone-eng.html

The city of Venice has a web site where you can prepurchase transit tickets, among others. In some cases there are savings to be had by purchasing in advance: http://www.veniceconnected.com/

Take a look at viator.com for some ideas. I booked two different walking tours with them. It's not necessary to book tours, if you just want to wander on your own. If you once get to Piazzale Roma, there is a visitor kiosk right outside the Hotel Ca' Doge for information and a map, and the vaporetto main office is across the square, where you can purchase a pass and off you go.

Others have posted that Rick Steve's does good walking tours, I haven't actually used his, but you could check them out too.

Have a great trip!

You really dont need a walking tour in Venice just a good guide book. Its really easy just to walk around and enjoy the atmosphere. We were there in May and had a great time. One tip if you want to go in the Dodges Palace you can purchase tickets on the internet, saves time on the day and well worth the visit.

You really dont need a walking tour in Venice just a good guide book. Its really easy just to walk around and enjoy the atmosphere. We were there in May and had a great time. One tip if you want to go in the Dodges Palace you can purchase tickets on the internet, saves time on the day and well worth the visit.

Jen is correct that you don't really need to use a "walking tour" to see this super great city. Some advance prep and research might help a little. Getting your Dodges Palace tickets ahead is smart. The big things are to just walking around and soak it all up. All signs point you back to the main, historic square in this town.

Below are some of my visual samples to get you warmed up for what an interesting and charming city it is. You can look at more pictures and get added tips and ideas by looking here:

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226&highlight=venice

Venice Tourism Office:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/venezia/eng/default.asp?lingua=en

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 30,300 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Nothing says Venice better than Piazza San Marco, the "living room" of this great city. Unlike most cities in Europe, this square has people prevailing over the sounds of cars, trucks and motor scooters. The Piazza has it all, the Basilica of San Marco at its eastern end, the Campanile Tower, other historic buildings and the walkway to where Marco Polo boarded ships to discover China and the East. Plus, in the evenings, there are the "battle of the bands" with music playing and people enjoying this area without the middle of the day tourist mobs.:

VeniceSanMarcoSqWideHigh.jpg

VeniceStMarksFront.jpg

This picture shows San Giorgio Maggiore, a 16th century Benedictine church built between 1566 and 1610. The gondolas are docked in the foreground in the main part of Venice. There were eight to ten thousand gondolas during the 17th and 18th century with only about four hundred in active service today.:

VeniceGondBldgsDistnance.jpg

This Venice picture gives a sample of different roof designs/decorations, the church dome and the famed Campanile. This bell tower of St Mark's Basilica is 323 feet tall and is a plain brick square shaft, 39 feet wide on each side. This tower reached its present form in 1514, but was reconstructed in 1912 after the 1902 collapse.:

VeniceArchitectureHighlights.jpg

In Venice, this is inside the Doge’s spectacular palace next to St. Mark’s Cathedral. This gothic-style palace was largely constructed from 1309 to 1324.:

VeniceDogePalaceInterior.jpg

While walking around in the back streets of Venice, we found this cute shop that makes the famed masks. This wasn't a "tourist shop", but a source for the "real thing".:

VeniceMaskShop.jpg

If you wanted to do a walking tour go to the tourist office by San Marco as they do offer some good ones re the history etc. and I have taken them before as we were there for more than a few days.Quite interesting.Just an FYI.

We enjoyed the Doges Palaces Secret Itinerary although it's not all that secret. Definitely buy a head of time so you can skip the long line.

Context Tours does walking tours if you're so inclined.

Personally, I found wandering the streets on our own was quite interesting and fairly difficult to get lost.

To go farther afield jump on a Vaporetto. Personally I wouldn't bother with Venice Connected - I wasted so much time waiting to get my passes that it would have been far quicker to just buy them upon arrival.

Thankyou everyone for your input. As ppl have noted pre purchase tickets for Dodges Palace what about St Marks Basilica ?

Thankyou everyone for your input. As ppl have noted pre purchase tickets for Dodges Palace what about St Marks Basilica ?

As I re-call with this great and historic church in Venice (and other Catholic ones in Europe), there is not an admission charge to enter. Its interior is spectacular!!!! Make sure you go up the second level to better see the floor and main areas, plus viewing the original horses and looking out on the nearby outdoor areas. Don't just do a quick walk in, look around and go out. Take some time here to see it "ALL".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 30,360 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Saint Mark's Basilica is the most famous of the Venice's churches and one of the best examples of Byzantine architecture. With its opulent design, gilded Byzantine mosaics, it was a symbol of Venetian wealth/power. Also called the "church of gold", it was consecrated in 1071. This interior picture reflects that gold and beauty.:

VeniceStMarkGoldInterior.jpg

Inside Saint Mark's Basilica you see this sample of the Byzantine architecture, floors, etc., for this church that was consecrated in 1071.:

VeniceInsideStMarksFloor.jpg

These are the original four horses that are now inside Saint Mark's Basilica. These were outside, but were placed inside to protect these bronze treasures. Copies are now placed outside on the front of this church.:

VeniceStMarks4Horses.jpg

This is the altar table on the inside of Saint Mark's Basilica. The remains of St. Mark are said to contained here.:

VeniceStMarksAlter.jpg

From the second level of Saint Mark's Basilica, this shows the Piazzetta that connects Piazza San Marco to the docking or Molo San Marco area.:

VenicePlaza2DockingArea.jpg

This vertical shot of the front of Saint Mark's Basilica show its various design and architectural details.:

VeniceStMarksDetailsVert.jpg

• 5 months later...

TLCOhio, your Venice photos are so gorgeous!

Makes me all the more excited about my upcoming cruise out of Venice.

I remember feeling the same way last summer viewing your beautiful photos of St. Petersburg, etc... before our awesome Baltic cruise on the Eclipse.

Taking a 7 night Adriatic and wondering if there are any "must-sees" in Dubrovnik, Koper, Bari or Ravenna you would suggest?

Thanks for sharing. :)

Archived