Splendor Drydock

madera cruiser

John Heald posted on his blog that he will be on Splendor when it leaves San Francisco next week for sea trials.

Also, the webcam on Splendor is active again. Great to see live pics again from the ship.

Yep... two pieces of good news.

He had all the web cams turned on. You can see the splendor's here:

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/carnival/splendor.php

Secondly, it appears they've added water to the dry dock... so it's getting ready to be put back into the water in the next day or so.

Secondly, it appears they've added water to the dry dock... so it's getting ready to be put back into the water in the next day or so.

This is a floating dry dock. It lifts the ship above the waterline. To get Splendor back into the water you do add water to the dry dock, but to make it sink, lowering the ship back into the water. Sorry if you already knew that.

Steve

This is a floating dry dock. It lifts the ship above the waterline. To get Splendor back into the water you do add water to the dry dock, but to make it sink, lowering the ship back into the water. Sorry if you already knew that.

Steve

Turns out it's still up according to someone who's office is 2 blocks from there. But it's all systems go according to John Heald... who arrives in SF on the 12th to take her out.

I saw splendor 2 hours ago with smoke (diesel engine smoke not fire smoke) coming from both sides of the funnel. Not sure if that means both engine rooms or both engines in one room but as soon as I got close enough to take a picture with my phone, they shut it down :mad:

Steve

Stone island is ok, lots to do there from boating to horseback riding, atv's and what not but my favorite thing to do is going on the city tour and going out to see the cliff divers and walking around town. There is a beautiful path that winds around the beach and takes you by sculptures that you have to see.

As one of thousands of Cruisers that were affected (26 Dec Sailing), I feel that I was fairly compensated given the situation but I feel that Carnival could have been more open with their Media releases of progress. I understand their concerns would be creating false expectations in some if a major setback occured and they further upset their customers.

I'm very glad to see the progress and would very much like for Carnival to release a documentary on the whole process, much like the Oasis documentary on Mighty Ships, or Discovery Channel, etc.

Thanks to all of you who are keeping this unofficial update thread alive and good luck for a 20th Sailing.

Splendor moved out of drydock and into Pier 35 on Friday Feb 11. I drove a friend from SF to Oakland to catch a flight and she was going under the Bay Bridge when I returned so I shot these shots from Treasure Island. She will be at Pier 35 for a few days and will start to sail for Long Beach very soon.

Splen228.jpg.1ec71ef71d600c1c3bbf1d9eb2b4ad1f.jpg

Splen232.jpg.360f1b3d6af6ff5973df114b1acfadf0.jpg

Splen239.jpg.ac59c0c14a4923c9b59f11279fef745f.jpg

So are the "sea trials" the fact that it is sailing down to San Diego??? That's not much of a trial -- that's just going to the home port. I hope they take her out to wide open waters under rough conditions and make sure she's fit to sail.

Katherine

Archived