Splendor Drydock

madera cruiser

Anything new about Splendor? Saw pics of her being loaded into the dock the other day, then pics of the new powerplant being offloaded from that HUGE Russian plane. Nothing since. Any new links?

I missed this and would love to see the pics, can you post the link.

Here ya go... from the other thread which is now buried on page 6 or 7.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wjcendak/sets/72157625899503788/with/5385470479/

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579608152AvzHHZ

There haven't been any updates since Thursday at which point Carnival reiterated that things were on schedule and that it was still on for 2/20. The Dry-dock schedule has it leaving SF on the 15th to go back down to LA.

I like this photo

Carnival Splendor's replacement engine 1-2011

If you zoom in you can read the packing slip. It looks like they're replacing the crankcase and crank but not the top of the engine or pistons / rods. The picture was taken on 1/27/11 so as of then, it wasn't installed ;)

I've found that if you Google Carnival Splendor, and use advanced search - last 24 hours, you can find new pictures that folks have posted (like this one) that are not on Cruise Critic. That's how I found the one of the monster plane that got the parts here.

I took a few more pictures yesterday but they really don't show much.

Steve

We are on the March 13th cruise and I am worried about that one. Am I being silly? :confused:

No, you're not being silly! We're booked on the first sailing 2/20/11 and we haven't heard a word from Carnival regarding the status of our sailing. We're all worried but there's nothing we can do but sit and wait. I did start packing today just in case she's ready for us in 22 days!

Here ya go... from the other thread which is now buried on page 6 or 7.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wjcendak/sets/72157625899503788/with/5385470479/

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579608152AvzHHZ

There haven't been any updates since Thursday at which point Carnival reiterated that things were on schedule and that it was still on for 2/20. The Dry-dock schedule has it leaving SF on the 15th to go back down to LA.

Great pics, Thanks

I'm really hoping that the Splendor is going out on the 20th still. I have rebooked 3 times now and vacation is a little hard to keep switching around. I'm not sure that I am all that excited about going on it's "maiden voyage" so to speak after the fire but I am excited to go somewhere. Has anyone heard anything new on Mazatlan? So far, I have been watching the news and feel bad that some ships have pulled it. I love Mazatlan and have been there 3 times now and would hate to miss it. My husband hasn't been there yet or the kids and I was hoping to take them around. This is my tenth cruise on Carnival and I hope it's a good one. Happy cruising to those of you that are on your way now or will be soon.

No, you're not being silly! We're booked on the first sailing 2/20/11 and we haven't heard a word from Carnival regarding the status of our sailing. We're all worried but there's nothing we can do but sit and wait. I did start packing today just in case she's ready for us in 22 days!

Yes, I agree that you're not being silly. I am also booked on the 02/20/11 sailing and have also started packing. Keeping my fingers crossed that all is well and on schedule.

I'm really hoping that the Splendor is going out on the 20th still. I have rebooked 3 times now and vacation is a little hard to keep switching around. I'm not sure that I am all that excited about going on it's "maiden voyage" so to speak after the fire but I am excited to go somewhere. Has anyone heard anything new on Mazatlan? So far, I have been watching the news and feel bad that some ships have pulled it. I love Mazatlan and have been there 3 times now and would hate to miss it. My husband hasn't been there yet or the kids and I was hoping to take them around. This is my tenth cruise on Carnival and I hope it's a good one. Happy cruising to those of you that are on your way now or will be soon.

Started picking out my clothes yesterday, we WILL be on that ship!

What is your favourite thing to do in Mazatlan? So far it sounds like everyone's crazy about Stone Island.

Check out our roll call, there is a Meet & Greet being planned.

Can you imagine the transportation cost for that engine? Obviously the 'normal' way would be by sea but Carnival simply can't afford more down time. I think they've got this scheduled mapped out almost to the minute. Hopefully there are no setbacks. Wonder how they get it into the ship? Might they open up the hull?

Can you imagine the transportation cost for that engine? Obviously the 'normal' way would be by sea but Carnival simply can't afford more down time. I think they've got this scheduled mapped out almost to the minute. Hopefully there are no setbacks. Wonder how they get it into the ship? Might they open up the hull?

I thought I read somewhere that the flight to get the engine here was $250,000 and there were 2 flights! One went to San Diego and the other to SF.

The powerplants are installed when the ship is built. Unfortunatly you can't just open the "hood" and swap the engine. You do need to cut a hole in the hull to get access. That's the reason she's in dry dock. I believe there are sections of the hull designed with this in mind for "easy" removal.

Steve

Here is a video link that shows how they replace an engine on a cruise ship the size of the Splendor! Click on the picture and the player screen opens, then click to play; it's awsome what they can do in dry dock. This install was done in TWO WEEKS, so yes it can be done!!!

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/worlds-toughest-fixes/3561/Overview#tab-Videos/05990_00

Here is a video link that shows how they replace an engine on a cruise ship the size of the Splendor! Click on the picture and the player screen opens, then click to play; it's awsome what they can do in dry dock. This install was done in TWO WEEKS, so yes it can be done!!!

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/worlds-toughest-fixes/3561/Overview#tab-Videos/05990_00

Wow! That is really cool. I wonder where they are in this process for the Splendor.......

Thanks myrvhome for the link showing how they put a new engine in a cruise ship. That was amazing how they did it in 2 weeks. It would be interesting to get the cost of putting the Splendor back in cruising shape when they are finished. I am sure it will be a lot more than the insurance premiums Carnival paid.

Great Post! I was wondering how they were/are going to do that!

Thanks

Thanks myrvhome for the link showing how they put a new engine in a cruise ship. That was amazing how they did it in 2 weeks. It would be interesting to get the cost of putting the Splendor back in cruising shape when they are finished. I am sure it will be a lot more than the insurance premiums Carnival paid.

I've seen estimates of $57 million by the time everything is back in order.

Archived