Splendor Drydock

madera cruiser

Katherine,

I think I read she'll be heading out on the 14th. I'm not a marine engineer but I would think the sea trials will be more about putting a full load on the new diesel engine, generators and electrical distribution system that handling rough waters. I would expect they won't head straight back to Long Beach so they can spend some time up at full power.

You can watch on http://marinetraffic.com/ais/

Steve

Here's the latest from John Heald who is now aboard the Splendor..

John Heald Morning, cant stop as Coastguard are onboard and we have all day testing etc. Everything so far is going very well and we have passed all our tests so far and everyone is very satisfised...........and for the doubters reading this..........yes.......I would tell you if that were not the case

John Heald We will now be sailing early morning on the 16th and then arriving in LB on the evening of the 18th. Tomorrow in the blog I will have some extraodinary photos to show you of how a huge engine and parts arrives at the ship.

Fire in the electrical system, means gremlins are going to appear for years. Splendor may sail in late February but who knows what shorts out and when and how often.

Have fun!

Back in Nov when Splendor broke down you stated that a quick fix and a coat of paint was all she'd need to be back in business.

Now you are apparently projecting years of misery caused by electrical system gremlins.

Thank you for maintaining your flow of nautical engineering expertise to keep us informed.

Katherine,

I think I read she'll be heading out on the 14th. I'm not a marine engineer but I would think the sea trials will be more about putting a full load on the new diesel engine, generators and electrical distribution system that handling rough waters. I would expect they won't head straight back to Long Beach so they can spend some time up at full power.

You can watch on http://marinetraffic.com/ais/

Steve

Very cool site! Thanks, I just bookmarked it...

You are right about the sea trials stressing the electrical system and engine first. Still, I am just not sure I would want to be on that first sailing out to MX. :eek: Hope to be on her in December though for the holiday cruise.

Katherine

We saw the smoke today too... the dockworkers said she is sailing tomarrow (the 14th) without passengers... rumors had sea trials or headed south...

No, she is not. She is sailing out on the morning of the 16th, and yes, headed south to Long Beach for the 2/20 sailing (re-entering of service).

She's taking on extra supplies (stores, food) and crew for the trip South.

Archived