Barcelona flight

Monty'sMomandDad

I have a 11:20 flight out of Barcelona. Is this doable? Also' date=' do you go through customs in Barcelona when leaving and then again in New York? Thanks.:)[/quote']

Assuming you're flying BCN-EWR(orJFK)

Immigration: (the clearance of people); done in New York

Customs: (the clearance of goods); done in New York

Extra Security (done at the request of the USA); done prior to boarding in BCN

Assuming your ships docks at the "normal" time and nothing odd happens, you should make your flight.

At at the Barcelona airport after getting your boarding pass and checking your luggage, you will go through normal security and then, at the gate, another round of security.

At the New York airport you will go through immigration, then claim your bags and go through customs. Then drop off your bags (I assume you are returning to Georgia on a connecting flight). After that, you will go through security.

We have a 2 hour layover at JFK. Will this leave enough time to get bags and go through customs and immigration? Why immigration, we are U.S. citizens. And yes, the connecting flight is to Atlanta. All of this is Delta. Thought I could just get off the one Delta flight and get on the next in the same terminal. Not alot of walking around and no claiming bags and checking in again as my husband has trouble breathing. I am such a newbie at this. Done plenty of domestic flights but the first international that wasn't military airlift command.

We have a 2 hour layover at JFK. Will this leave enough time to get bags and go through customs and immigration? Why immigration' date=' we are U.S. citizens. And yes, the connecting flight is to Atlanta. All of this is Delta. Thought I could just get off the one Delta flight and get on the next in the same terminal. Not alot of walking around and no claiming bags and checking in again as my husband has trouble breathing. I am such a newbie at this. Done plenty of domestic flights but the first international that wasn't military airlift command.[/quote']By "immigration" we mean "passport control." That's where you prove to the authorities that you're US citizens.

You go through passport control, then you claim your luggage and take it through customs - to make sure you're not bringing contraband into the country. Right after you exit the customs/baggage area you can re-check your luggage at a counter set up for connecting passengers. You then go to the check-in counters or if you already have your boarding passes for your connecting flight, you go to the security screening points just as if you were coming into the airport from outside. Get screened and have your carry-on bags x-rayed, then you go to the departure gate for your connecting flight and off you go.

If you need assistance with any of this just see some ground representatives when you get off the plane, and they'll help you.

By "immigration" we mean "passport control." That's where you prove to the authorities that you're US citizens.

You go through passport control, then you claim your luggage and take it through customs - to make sure you're not bringing contraband into the country. Right after you exit the customs/baggage area you can re-check your luggage at a counter set up for connecting passengers. You then go to the check-in counters or if you already have your boarding passes for your connecting flight, you go to the security screening points just as if you were coming into the airport from outside. Get screened and have your carry-on bags x-rayed, then you go to the departure gate for your connecting flight and off you go.

If you need assistance with any of this just see some ground representatives when you get off the plane, and they'll help you.

Do you think the 2 hour layover is enough time? And thanks sooo much for your reply. Now it makes sense to my pea brain.

Do you think the 2 hour layover is enough time? And thanks sooo much for your reply. Now it makes sense to my pea brain.
If Delta sold you both the the international and domestic (connecting) ticket, then in Delta's opinion 2 hours is adequate. The airlines have "minimum connecting times" that they use to make allowances for immigration/customs, etc., and they won't sell a ticket with less than the minimum. I think 2 hours is usually fine at JFK, but if you somehow missed your connecting flight, Delta would be obliged to put you on the next flight. If you had purchased two separate tickets, then there would be cause for concern as the connecting airline wouldn't be obliged to help you if the delay was caused by the previous flight being late, or you getting delayed in immigration/customs, etc.

If Delta sold you both the the international and domestic (connecting) ticket, then in Delta's opinion 2 hours is adequate. The airlines have "minimum connecting times" that they use to make allowances for immigration/customs, etc., and they won't sell a ticket with less than the minimum. I think 2 hours is usually fine at JFK, but if you somehow missed your connecting flight, Delta would be obliged to put you on the next flight. If you had purchased two separate tickets, then there would be cause for concern as the connecting airline wouldn't be obliged to help you if the delay was caused by the previous flight being late, or you getting delayed in immigration/customs, etc.

Thanks Gardyloo!

Let's think about the Barcelona part.

What ship are you on? What type of transportation will you take to the airport? How many bags will you have?

Large ships with luggage checked vs. carried off could take awhile to debarc. Then a shuttle could wait until full to leave the ship area. The taxi line could be very long. Or if you are on a small ship perhaps no taxi there, all already taken. My memory of the time to get from the ship to airport was around 40 minutes.

At the Barcelona airport, there could be a very long line to check luggage, maybe 1 hour. There could be a long line to get through security again maybe an hour.

You can search for opinions on the Barcelona airport. Search on BCN on this board as well as on the ports of call board for Spain.

You need to have a good plan for the transfer from the ship to the airport. The quickest would be to walk off the ship first thing with your luggage and grab the first available taxi. To checkin for your flight on the ship with no checked baggage, so that you can go directly to security and then on to the gate. That would still take about 1 and 1/2 hours on average.

Immigration: (the clearance of people); done in New York

Customs: (the clearance of goods); done in New York

Extra Security (done at the request of the USA); done prior to boarding in BCN

At at the Barcelona airport after getting your boarding pass and checking your luggage, you will go through normal security and then, at the gate, another round of security.
At some point at Barcelona airport, there will also be outbound immigration because this is the point at which the OP exits the Schengen area.

Archived