Last Cruise to Mexico please turn out the lights

Kruisenut

I have been to the MR 4 times in the last four years( On RCCI, Princess and Carnival) and have absolutely loved it. I agree with the poster that said a "No gracias" seems to always work just fine. I would be sad if Princess completely pulled away from this route. It gives us west coasters a quick get away at a reasonable price. Never once have a felt unsafe in any of the major ports in Mexico, and unlike the previous posters I love Cabo. There are many many non tourist type activities to do while there. I am not sure why the major cruise lines won't consider a west coast US route.....SD, LA, San Fran, Seattle. My thoughts are that this would be wildly popular.

That's true. I was just thinking of other ports they could go to & not about the time of year.

There's could always begin a winter trip to Alaska. :D

That would be an interesting twist. Everyone would be issued foul weather gear in order to watch MUTS and one of the onboard activities will be to pull crab pots and have king crab for dinner.

I have been to the MR 4 times in the last four years( On RCCI, Princess and Carnival) and have absolutely loved it. I agree with the poster that said a "No gracias" seems to always work just fine. I would be sad if Princess completely pulled away from this route. It gives us west coasters a quick get away at a reasonable price. Never once have a felt unsafe in any of the major ports in Mexico, and unlike the previous posters I love Cabo. There are many many non tourist type activities to do while there. I am not sure why the major cruise lines won't consider a west coast US route.....SD, LA, San Fran, Seattle. My thoughts are that this would be wildly popular.

I agree with you on all counts.

I have never felt unsafe in any of my trips to Mexico. In fact, I am going again in April.

That said, I would absolutely LOVE a cruise up the coast....stopping in Canada instead of Ensenada.

I did a 7 day "Swine Flu" cruise that went from LA, SF (well, WE went to Astoria) Victoria, BC, Seattle, and back to LA.

It was a wonderful change of scenery, though I think it would be better to do this in the warmer months, instead of May like I did.

I would book it in a heartbeat!!

PS....I love Cabo, too :)

We just got off the Sapphire Princess yesterday and we did our first stop in Puerto Vallarta fine, and then that night on the loud speaker the captain announced that we would not be stopping in Mazatlan the next day, instead we were going to go straight to Cabo for Wednesday, then they gave us a sea day on Thursday, and then on Friday they stopped in Ensenada instead which I think is not a safe port so we did not get off the ship as many people also did not get off the ship. I think they will stop all further mexican riviera cruises.

Why don't you think Ensenada is safe?????

From USA Today article:

By Gene Sloan, USA TODAY

The 2,670-passenger Sapphire Princess, one of 17 ships in the Princess fleet in 2010.

CAPTION

Courtesy Princess Cruises

As we reported Wednesday, a wave of crime in recent weeks involving tourists in Mazatlan, Mexico has prompted three major cruise lines to cancel calls at the port. Holland America, Princess and the Disney Cruise Line this week all diverted ships heading to the destination, with Disney saying it was dropping Mazatlan for the season.

In statements to USA TODAY, both Holland America and Princess cited "recent incidents of violence" for their diversions. A statement from Disney cited "the changing environment in Mazatlan." News reports in recent days have noted several muggings of cruise ship passengers and crew, and earlier this month a Canadian tourist was hit by a stray bullet during what appeared to be a gang-related shooting just a few blocks from his hotel.

From USA Today article:

By Gene Sloan, USA TODAY

The 2,670-passenger Sapphire Princess, one of 17 ships in the Princess fleet in 2010.

CAPTION

Courtesy Princess Cruises

As we reported Wednesday, a wave of crime in recent weeks involving tourists in Mazatlan, Mexico has prompted three major cruise lines to cancel calls at the port. Holland America, Princess and the Disney Cruise Line this week all diverted ships heading to the destination, with Disney saying it was dropping Mazatlan for the season.

In statements to USA TODAY, both Holland America and Princess cited "recent incidents of violence" for their diversions. A statement from Disney cited "the changing environment in Mazatlan." News reports in recent days have noted several muggings of cruise ship passengers and crew, and earlier this month a Canadian tourist was hit by a stray bullet during what appeared to be a gang-related shooting just a few blocks from his hotel.

There ya go...you just couldn't leave it alone, could'ya? First, I started the cauldren with the Bubba Gumps inclusion, now YOU...yes, YOU...have to actually site a credible source (although, is USA TODAY that "credible". :p).

Next time, would you include the date and link of the article:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/01/mazatlan-mexico-crime-cruise-ships-disney-princess-drug-violence/140242/1

Posted: Jan 26 2011 7:54AM

Ok...so I pose this (haha, no Bubba Gumps attached to this, I promise):

The wifey and I were discussing this on our beautiful, strangely 78F January nightly walk, pre-massive cold-front attack this week:

IF, the Cruise Lines continue to go to the MR, and there is a brazen attack on a tour bus that gets caught along a highway where a roadblock is set-up by the criminal element running amock in Mexico, who should be held accountable? Please search for incidents of this nature (I didn't say it's happened to a CRUISE TOUR, but of the bogus roadblocks). There is no concern by the cartels who they attack and why.

Please...remain open-minded here. I am only asking...where does the accountability stand? Who will the fingers be pointed at? And who should be responsible, should something happen to the extent where there is a loss of life or serious injury to a Cruise passenger, in-light of all that is happening, as a result of an "attack" in a Country where there is plenty of discussion on the realities of it happening at this time?

I thought the comments by readers were from logical, to comical, and back again. Good arguments on both sides.

I especially liked Hunter1985:

"Cruise lines stopped going to Mazatlan because of crimes against their passengers, for which they may be liable. Cruise lines don't go to DC, Philadelphia, Detroit.... so you're comparing apples and oranges...."

C'mon, you've got to give him credit...that was more funny than logical...but logical just the same... Read on to DIY's commentary.

I agree with you on all counts.

I have never felt unsafe in any of my trips to Mexico. In fact, I am going again in April.

That said, I would absolutely LOVE a cruise up the coast....stopping in Canada instead of Ensenada.

I did a 7 day "Swine Flu" cruise that went from LA, SF (well, WE went to Astoria) Victoria, BC, Seattle, and back to LA.

It was a wonderful change of scenery, though I think it would be better to do this in the warmer months, instead of May like I did.

I would book it in a heartbeat!!PS....I love Cabo, too :)

What she said. :D

I was on a swine flu cruise too. :)

Pat

You do realize that the Sapphire is doing 3 coastal cruises in the next year, right? I think it's 2 in the fall 2011 and one in April 12. We're booked on both. :)

Katherine, I am booked on the October 1 cruise. I will miss you by one week.

I know I can drive to these places; San Diego, Santa Barbara and San Francisco aren't that far away from me.

But I wouldn't necessarily drive to Seattle or Victoria.

That is why I would love a trip to Canada rather than Mexico as we are doing on this one.

However, this is what they offer now, so I will take them up on it...

Good point! Crystal just started doing B2B cruises. First 7 days goes along the coast from LA to Vancouver (SF, Astoria, Seattle, etc) and then the next 7 days comes back down to LA. It's a 14d round trip but it's a nice itiniary.

We'll be on the Sapphire Coastal to Vancouver from LA in May followed by the Golden in Alaska. I'll report back on the coastal part of the cruise. My concerns are 1) it's going to be cold and windy the whole time (like) and 2) that the waters off the coast of SF and North and VERY rough, even in the summer, which could mean that the Spring is going to be unpleasant. I have a feeling that's one of the reasons why Princess is not offering more coastal cruises all the way up to Vancouver from LA.

I am sorry to miss you SeaPrincess. I may just change to your cruise on Oct 1st if I can get my FCCs to apply. I booked the previous one before I had FCCs.

Katherine

That's true. I was just thinking of other ports they could go to & not about the time of year.

There's could always begin a winter trip to Alaska. :D

I just looked at the weather forecast for Juneau and it is a whole lot warmer then the weather we are experiencing right now - sign me up!

That Crystal itinerary looks great. Now to save the big bucks!:D

I was looking at your repo in May. Since I am doing the last MR in April/May, it would have been a nice B2B.

But when I was checking into it, all the cabins, except insides, were waitlisted.

That is a wonderful itinerary, though. Very similar to the PNW "Swine Flu" cruise I took.

I did the trip in the month of May, and it was chilly, foggy and drizzly at times. A bit rough going up, as well.

Going against the Pacific current, it is probably always going to be that way.

(I have a picture of Mariner's pool that could be mistaken for the Flowrider!:D)

Coming back down was nice and the sun finally broke free!

I will be interested to hear about your experience.

At least summer might have nicer weather.

Apparently, RCI, who at one time considered this route as an alternating itinerary for the summer months, ultimately decided it wouldn't be profitable. They pulled their ship out of LA.

Maybe Princess could continue to do different itineraries with, say, Sapphire, as they are doing now (Hawaii, Tahiti, etc) and throw in a few PNWs as well.

How many ships do they REALLY need in Alaska????;)

Just my thoughts.

It would be nice if you could change your cruise.

Lori is also going. We could hang out on your balcony again....;):D

You know what, I just changed the ressie to Oct 1st. Why not? I like you gals. ;):D I was thinking of going slightly later anyway because my DD will be starting Jr High School in September so I thought it would be better to be at home for that first week or two. I'll have to call Princess tomorrow to apply my FCCs.

I booked a PH suite. Want to be midship if the current is against us! I booked on the port side, thinking we'll see San Francisco on our left as we pull out. What do you think?

Katherine

We have enjoyed this thread while we are currently living in Puerto Vallarta and watch from our balcony everyday as the cruise ships come and go. We are also very frequent cruisers (cruise about 75 days a year and love the cruise industry). It is interesting to note that most of this thread is posted by folks from CA which is really part of the reason why the cruise lines are abandoning Pacific Mexico. The economy in CA sucks, demand for Pacific Mexico cruises is down, prices have dropped in order to fill ships (which are still not full), bad publicity about the Mexican drug violence has frightened many possible cruises, high air fares have discouraged folks from flying to CA to take the short cruises to Mexico (generally 7 - 10 days). On the other hand when we go to the Caribbean we get warm ocean waters (usually about 80), nice clean beaches, interesting variety in ports, etc. Yes, we do love coming to Mexico (and are here for about 2 months a year) but we can also understand why many of our friends (and others) prefer to go to other places. One unfortunate factor that hurts the West Coast is the Passenger Services Act (and Jones Act) which pretty much prohibit cruise ships from cruising between US ports. Options such as a cruise that would start in San Francisico, stop in LA and then perhaps San Diego (before coming to Mexico) are not legal. Attempts to change this law have been effectively blocked by labor unions...who seem to think they can force cruise lines to reflag their vessels in the US (at much greater expense) and higher US employees (at much great expense not to mention labor law issues). This is less of a problem on the East Coast since there are so many different ports in the Caribbean (plus Bermuda). If folks want to see more cruise ships return to CA ports they need to lobby their Congress folks to modernize the cabotage laws which go back as far as 1886,

Hank

You know what, I just changed the ressie to Oct 1st. Why not? I like you gals. ;):D I was thinking of going slightly later anyway because my DD will be starting Jr High School in September so I thought it would be better to be at home for that first week or two. I'll have to call Princess tomorrow to apply my FCCs.

I booked a PH suite. Want to be midship if the current is against us! I booked on the port side, thinking we'll see San Francisco on our left as we pull out. What do you think?

Katherine

GREAT!!! Glad you could do that. :D

Can we have our own personal Cabin Crawl in your cabin?? I haven't seen that suite yet.

I just have my regular old mini............I will be starboard so we'll see SF pulling IN!

I want to be up top as we sail under the bridge.....just because.......

We have enjoyed this thread while we are currently living in Puerto Vallarta and watch from our balcony everyday as the cruise ships come and go. We are also very frequent cruisers (cruise about 75 days a year and love the cruise industry). It is interesting to note that most of this thread is posted by folks from CA which is really part of the reason why the cruise lines are abandoning Pacific Mexico. The economy in CA sucks, demand for Pacific Mexico cruises is down, prices have dropped in order to fill ships (which are still not full), bad publicity about the Mexican drug violence has frightened many possible cruises, high air fares have discouraged folks from flying to CA to take the short cruises to Mexico (generally 7 - 10 days). On the other hand when we go to the Caribbean we get warm ocean waters (usually about 80), nice clean beaches, interesting variety in ports, etc. Yes, we do love coming to Mexico (and are here for about 2 months a year) but we can also understand why many of our friends (and others) prefer to go to other places. One unfortunate factor that hurts the West Coast is the Passenger Services Act (and Jones Act) which pretty much prohibit cruise ships from cruising between US ports. Options such as a cruise that would start in San Francisico, stop in LA and then perhaps San Diego (before coming to Mexico) are not legal. Attempts to change this law have been effectively blocked by labor unions...who seem to think they can force cruise lines to reflag their vessels in the US (at much greater expense) and higher US employees (at much great expense not to mention labor law issues). This is less of a problem on the East Coast since there are so many different ports in the Caribbean (plus Bermuda). If folks want to see more cruise ships return to CA ports they need to lobby their Congress folks to modernize the cabotage laws which go back as far as 1886,

Hank

I think some of the problem also lies in the fact that there aren't very many options for us on the west coast.

We in California enjoy the quick getaways that don't involve flying.

However, all we have in Mexico is Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.

Acapulco is being removed from some itineraries.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Mexican Riviera, that is one reason I cruise there. But I would like to see other ports.

Some ships go to other ports in the Gulf of California as well as the standards. I will have to change cruise lines to do that.

I am all for switching up some stops, but I agree that the drug violence is hindering a lot people from wanting to go. That is a huge issue that won't go away unless and until the problem is stopped, and that doesn't seem likely.

I think some of the problem also lies in the fact that there aren't very many options for us on the west coast.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Mexican Riviera, that is one reason I cruise there. But I would like to see other ports.

Some ships go to other ports in the Gulf of California as well as the standards. I will have to change cruise lines to do that.

I am all for switching up some stops, but I agree that the drug violence is hindering a lot people from wanting to go. That is a huge issue that won't go away unless and until the problem is stopped, and that doesn't seem likely.

Living on the east coast we feel the same about the Caribbean & often don't venture far from the ship in Jamaica because of all the crime. Of course we have many more destinations to cruise to & the crime problems are not as wide spread. Why don't you consider cruising to Hawaii more often and not the Mexican coast?

You choose to live in CA where cruise options are simply limited by geography (and the US governement). Cruise lines now try to avoid tender ports (difficult operations on mega ships) and look for ports with the tourist infrastructure to support their many passengers. As you mentioned, there are not a lot of options in Mexico (now even Mazatlan is being removed from many itineraries due to safety issues) and the US government prohibits simply cruising along the US coastal ports (which might be fun). Hawaii is a pretty long cruise and becoming more expensive for the cruise lines due to higher fuel costs. We have noticed more and more folks from CA making the long trek (usually red-eye flights) to Florida to cruise in the Caribbean. Galveston also offers a more reasonable option for folks on the West Coast since flying to Houston is not too difficult.

Hank

You do realize that the Sapphire is doing 3 coastal cruises in the next year, right? I think it's 2 in the fall 2011 and one in April 12. We're booked on both. :)

I know I can drive to these places; San Diego, Santa Barbara and San Francisco aren't that far away from me.

But I wouldn't necessarily drive to Seattle or Victoria.

That is why I would love a trip to Canada rather than Mexico as we are doing on this one.

However, this is what they offer now, so I will take them up on it...

Right~~~but we are booked for fall of 2011 and April of 2012.

I agree with Sea. Actually, DH won't fly, so he is driving to SF this fall. I'm allowed short trips in pressurized cabins, so I will fly.

At this point, I'll take anything they offer just to get on a ship. :D

Pat

Living on the east coast we feel the same about the Caribbean & often don't venture far from the ship in Jamaica because of all the crime. Of course we have many more destinations to cruise to & the crime problems are not as wide spread. Why don't you consider cruising to Hawaii more often and not the Mexican coast?

I do have another Hawaiian cruise booked for next year. Then again, those are the same ports as before. Would those become boring after a time? Nah, NOT Hawaii!:D

I am just saying there are more options up our coast if we COULD do them, and Hlitner is right about the PVSA being a rather outdated law.

There are cruises out of New York up to Canada that stop in Boston and Bar Harbor, to name a few.

We should have a similar option here.

You choose to live in CA where cruise options are simply limited by geography (and the US governement). Cruise lines now try to avoid tender ports (difficult operations on mega ships) and look for ports with the tourist infrastructure to support their many passengers. As you mentioned, there are not a lot of options in Mexico (now even Mazatlan is being removed from many itineraries due to safety issues) and the US government prohibits simply cruising along the US coastal ports (which might be fun). Hawaii is a pretty long cruise and becoming more expensive for the cruise lines due to higher fuel costs. We have noticed more and more folks from CA making the long trek (usually red-eye flights) to Florida to cruise in the Caribbean. Galveston also offers a more reasonable option for folks on the West Coast since flying to Houston is not too difficult.

Hank

Well, I was born and raised here, and my family is all here. So, yeah, I choose to live here.....;)

But I do have a Panama Canal cruise on the books, and that will involve flying to FLL.

Galveston is another option, and they will be housing Mariner, which is one of my favorite ships.

Right~~~but we are booked for fall of 2011 and April of 2012.

I agree with Sea. Actually, DH won't fly, so he is driving to SF this fall. I'm allowed short trips in pressurized cabins, so I will fly.

At this point, I'll take anything they offer just to get on a ship. :D

Pat

I am not a fan of flying...........I like to keep my body as close to Mother Earth as possible!:D

I will fly if I have to, I just like the convenience of driving to my port (not to mention I don't have to deal with luggage restrictions :eek:)

I am thinking as the older I get, the more there is to see and do out there.

Flying is about the only way to go places (and get to more ports)

Now if the world would just behave itself, we could all travel in peace and harmony!!:p

I disagree.

Some people think it is somehow heroic of them if they take the back roads in a foreign country, or "live" or travel amoung the natives. Wow...this is so international of you...:rolleyes:

Very laughable. Not matter how you slice it....you got there on a cruise ship (which these natives you are trying so hard to relate to rarely -if never- do). To put it in bad English...You ain't one of them...so stop pretending. There is nothing wrong with tourist going to restaurants which they also like in the states (even if it was at Universal Studios City Walk)! What's wrong with that? Going somewhere you like to have a great time..in a foreign conuntry??

I can only speak for myself, but I don't think it's "heroic" to do this; it's just how I like to travel and how I have always traveled. I am not "pretending" to be a local, whatever gave you that idea? :confused: When I travel, though, I like to see and experience something different than what I can see and experience at home. Otherwise -- why travel?

Sure, it's more difficult when you come into a port on a cruise ship rather than staying in an area for a period of time, but it's not impossible.

Food is a different matter; I realize not everyone is willing to try new things or go outside their comfort zone. But for those like me who enjoy trying various cuisines from around the world, it is a great part of the enjoyment I get from traveling. And I would encourage people, even just a little bit, to stretch themselves and try something new. That's how you learn and grow. IMHO, of course. :cool:

By the way, I have done it both ways -- both on the beaten track and off it. I know which I prefer. But unless you actually try it, how can you form an authoritative opinion that it is "laughable"?

I am not a fan of flying...........I like to keep my body as close to Mother Earth as possible!:D

ROFL. Soooo true. I am the same way. BTW, that Oct 1 coastal may just be me. No kids, no DH. :D Could be worse right? Take off a week of work, drive 1 1/2 hours, walk aboard the ship, prop legs up on balcony lounge chair, close eyes and nap the afternoon away as we pull out of port. :D

Katherine

You choose to live in CA where cruise options are simply limited by geography (and the US governement).

Indeed. And - no offense to anyone - the only reasons I personally can see to live in Florida would be plentiful cruises and great theme parks. But in this climate-change winter, it's also becoming obvious that any of us who don't live in Florida should think twice before booking a high-season Caribbean cruise that requires a flight to the port. Looking over one's shoulder in Acapulco or being stuck for three days in an airport waiting room - take your choice.

ROFL. Soooo true. I am the same way. BTW, that Oct 1 coastal may just be me. No kids, no DH. :D Could be worse right? Take off a week of work, drive 1 1/2 hours, walk aboard the ship, prop legs up on balcony lounge chair, close eyes and nap the afternoon away as we pull out of port. :D

Katherine

Ahhh, Katherine, that sounds positively WONDERFUL! :D

And a suite all to yourself! MMMMMMMMMM......

(does it sound like I am bombarded with people in my house?:eek:)

You can do what you want, when you want.

And, you can always eat with us if you don't want to dine alone......

Archived