What's your favorite golf course?

phillygirl63

My DH and I are cruising with 2 other couples on Pride of America from April 30-May 7, 2011. We are playing most of the days except day in Hilo and Day 2 in Kauai. I would really like to hear which courses were your favorites regardless of price. I would also like to know what time I should make tee times for at those courses, so that I can schedule travel time accordingly.

On Maui, and related to where you dock, I would play either Wailea Gold (awesome course and views- I will be there is 3 weeks) or Kahili (very pretty, nice course). Maui Lani is the closest, an OK course, not very Hawaian. Ellair isn't too far away. OK course, pretty popular.

Thanks, CruiserBruce! Wailea Gold was already on my list for Day 2, but I was thinking of playing Kapalua on Day 1 since we dock overnight and there won't be time restrictions. I will check out Kahili. Which would you do -- Kahili or Kapalua?

Anyone else have a favorite course?

Plantation. Others in my group have played there before several times and want to play again. The drive doesn't concern me since we are in Maui overnight and don't have to be back to the ship by a certain time. I thought I would make a tee time at Kapalua Plantation for about 10:30 a.m. and then afterwards head down to have dinner at Four Seasons in Wailea and watch the sunset. The next day, we will play at Wailea Gold since it's closer to the ship.

Haven't played yet, but hubby will be playing Kapalua Plantation on the Monday in Maui.

I will be no where near the golf course;), but on a snorkelling tour to Molokini ( I have learnt this is better for both of us as my helpful hints about the golf are often NOT appreciated:D).

Hubby really wants to play Plantation as he has seen it on the tv many times.

We have not booked a tee time yet, I did email them but as we won't be staying there we can't book until the end of February!

We hope to be able to get an early tee time to give hubby tome to get back, pick me up and drop the rental car off and get back to the ship.

Raison, thanks for the reply. Just a few tidbits of info to tell your hubby. First, I read that that the best time to play Kapalua is after 10:00 a.m. to avoid the morning rains. Second, if he is planning to play at Kauai Lagoons, he should know that the Ocean 9 is closed until May, and that is supposed to be the best 9 out of the 3 9-hole courses. We have booked Poipu Bay through NCL for the first day in Kauai because of this closure, but one of the guys in my group is still going to play 9 holes at Kauai Lagoons on the second day (the short one). When you guys return, please let me know what he thought of those courses. Our cruise isn't until 4/30, and I can't make tee times until mid-March.

Raison, thanks for the reply. Just a few tidbits of info to tell your hubby. First, I read that that the best time to play Kapalua is after 10:00 a.m. to avoid the morning rains.

Not true about the rains, at least in my experience. My tee times are always around 8, and have had a minor shower or two, but never a problem. Having stayed just down the road from Kapalua about a dozen times, its the afternoon showers I try to avoid, that occur on the northwest corner of Maui, in a standard weather pattern.

Thanks for the info!

Hubby will be playing early as my snorkel tour leaves early and we want to make sure we have enough time afterwards for him to drive back, pick me up and get back etc.

Rain has never stopped hubby from playing before! he is really looking forward to playing Plantation, so I hope the tee times work out for him.

Not really sure where I read about the morning rains, but it think it was on the GolfMaui website. Anyway, rain has never stopped me either. I've even played in the snow (LOL). We take it when we can, right? Now, I just have to wait until it's time to get the tee times. Already been able to book at KoOlina the morning of the cruise, as we are all staying at the J.W. Marriott Ihiliani right there. I've read that it's a good course to play to get ready for the difficult ones on the other islands. CruiserBruce, have you ever played it?

NCL cancelled Makena North, but I wasn't sure about that course anyway. They replaced it with Puakena (not sure of the spelling without going into the website). The price is reasonable, but I think we are going to play Wailea Gold on Day 2 in Maui. So, that makes the courses we plan to play as follows: Kapalua Plantation on Day 1 in Maui, Wailea Gold on Day 2, Mauna Kea in Kona, and Poipu Bay in Kauai. I hope I have made the right choices.

Thanks, CruiserBruce, now I'm sure I made the right decision to play Wailea Gold rather than Makena North. If I can't get a good tee time for Kapalua Plantation, I may be thinking of playing Wailea Emerald. Have you played there? If so, what did you think of it? They say it is a "woman friendly" course with few forced carries, which would make some of us very happy, but are the views good?

Thanks for all your help. I still would like to hear from others as to their favorite courses on all of the islands.

My pick on Oahu would be Ko'olau, a beautiful but challenging course especially if like me you like to go for it and not lay up every shot. They say you should expect to loose a ball for every point of your handicap but to play this course without someone that has done it before we about doubled that :eek:. My second day was a bit more realistic but still very humbling.

Makaha Resort & Golf Club was also well worth the time. You will score a better round on this oceanside course.

Didn't try Turtle Bay but it gets good marks.

Thanks, but some in my group are intimidated by the very high slope rating at Ko'olau. Also, I am a 15 handicap and don't really want to lose an entire box of balls on the first day in Hawaii. So, we will be playing at Ko Olina on embarkation day since it is right there at our hotel. They say it's a good course to play to get ready for the more challenging courses on the other islands.

Archived