Prices of Shore Excursions

CR dude

Why Doesn’t HAL list the price of shore excursions on the page that provides details of said excursions? I do not consider myself to be a tightwad but I do want to know what something will cost up front in order to permit me to proceed properly with our trip planning . . . This is NOT a case of “price is no object”. During an upcoming 24 night cruise there will be 15 occasions where we will be ashore with options for taking many excursions - and for other things to do while in port. I tentatively plan on indulging in 1 or 2 excursions a week. On past cruises with other cruise lines I usually waited until I was aboard ship before booking excursions - In those instances the price of the excursions was available along with the excursion details. It seems very foolish to provide good details of a variety of excursions available at each port and not making the price available without one having to Click on book now - accept the legal agreement - provide booking number and last name - go to a secure page - AGAIN click on shore excursions - click on area - then click on each individual port . . . . only then is the price of each excursion indicated. I personally would like have ALL the necessary information at hand to peruse my options in a leisurely manner BEFORE I proceed to the book now mode. Am I right about this? Does anyone agree?

Why Doesn’t HAL list the price of shore excursions on the page that provides details of said excursions? I do not consider myself to be a tightwad but I do want to know what something will cost up front in order to permit me to proceed properly with our trip planning . . . This is NOT a case of “price is no object”. During an upcoming 24 night cruise there will be 15 occasions where we will be ashore with options for taking many excursions - and for other things to do while in port. I tentatively plan on indulging in 1 or 2 excursions a week. On past cruises with other cruise lines I usually waited until I was aboard ship before booking excursions - In those instances the price of the excursions was available along with the excursion details. It seems very foolish to provide good details of a variety of excursions available at each port and not making the price available without one having to Click on book now - accept the legal agreement - provide booking number and last name - go to a secure page - AGAIN click on shore excursions - click on area - then click on each individual port . . . . only then is the price of each excursion indicated. I personally would like have ALL the necessary information at hand to peruse my options in a leisurely manner BEFORE I proceed to the book now mode. Am I right about this? Does anyone agree?

I think you are on the genric part of the website. Sign in and register with your booking number and you will see the full cost of the tour.

You can also go to the shore excursion and download the entire shore excursion brochure if youlike.

If you sign in and go to the booking portion the cost is fully disclosed on every single tour and every single indulgence.

Have a great cruise ;);)

OP wants to see the prices of tours BEFORE he books the cruise.

Unfortunately HAL doesn't list the prices of tours on the general section -- also HAL lists all the excursions for a port that all ships going to that port may or may not have. Probably the reason why prices aren't listed could be that the vendors may raise their prices -- thus is could be a constant hassle for HAL to keep updating the prices.

Probably the reason why prices aren't listed could be that the vendors may raise their prices -- thus is could be a constant hassle for HAL to keep updating the prices.

IIRC, shore-ex for specific cruises aren't listed until about 6 months before the cruise. I would guess that prices aren't set (or "locked in") until then. Also, I wonder if the price could be different at different times - e.g., higher during busier times (the tour operators would determine this).

You may know this but just in case, there is a symbol comprised of dollar signs giving you the price range of each tour by each - click on the $ to determine the range - I think they were as follows the last time I checked (for an Alaskan port):

$ = up to $50

$$ = $51 - $150

$$$ = $151 - $250

$$$$ = $251 and up

The last one isn't that helpful because some tours are MUCH higher than $251- but this can help a bit.

Why Doesn’t HAL list the price of shore excursions on the page that provides details of said excursions?

I personally would like have ALL the necessary information at hand to peruse my options in a leisurely manner BEFORE I proceed to the book now mode. Am I right about this? Does anyone agree?

You can get exact prices for every excursion on every cruise without have a booking, without pretending that you're booking, and without even logging in to the HAL site.

Go to the HAL site anonymously, enter your specifications into the Find A Cruise boxes, and click Find Your Cruise. On the next screen select a cruise you're interested in, then click Cruise Details and Availability. On the next screen just above the itinerary table there is a blue box which says View Shore Excursions For This Cruise. That is a link, and clicking on it will give you a pdf of the full excursion brochure with exact prices. You can save a copy of this pdf to your computer for easier future reference.

OP, if you have trouble doing this, tell us what ship and date you are interested in, and I'll post the link to the pdf.

You can get exact prices for every excursion on every cruise without have a booking, without pretending that you're booking, and without even logging in to the HAL site.

Go to the HAL site anonymously, enter your specifications into the Find A Cruise boxes, and click Find Your Cruise. On the next screen select a cruise you're interested in, then click Cruise Details and Availability. On the next screen just above the itinerary table there is a blue box which says View Shore Excursions For This Cruise. That is a link, and clicking on it will give you a pdf of the full excursion brochure with exact prices.

I tried this for my May 2012 cruise and it didn't seem to work - it just kept displaying the spinning icon for > 5 minutes - maybe the system was busy and therefore slow, or maybe it's because there are no tours scheduled yet. When I tried for May 2011, I got what you're referring to, which gives me a better idea of pricing. I'll try again later to test it out but my gut feeling is that I won't get anything until tours are pasted for my specific cruise (or time frame).

I tried this for my May 2012 cruise and it didn't seem to work - it just kept displaying the spinning icon for > 5 minutes - maybe the system was busy and therefore slow, or maybe it's because there are no tours scheduled yet. When I tried for May 2011, I got what you're referring to, which gives me a better idea of pricing. I'll try again later to test it out but my gut feeling is that I won't get anything until tours are pasted for my specific cruise (or time frame).
After my first post (#6) just out of curiosity I went and looked at a cruise to Bermuda in Aug 2012, and got the brochure pdf okay. That's when I decided that maybe not everything was there, but just the "usual" ones for the itinerary, and changed my stance in post #7. Maybe it's just the case that the Bermuda excursions are more "fixed" than the one you tried to get for May 2012.

edit: Now I can't get the one for Bermuda in Aug 2012 either (just the "spinner") so maybe I just thought I picked that date before, or maybe :confused: :confused:

Even if we can't get the "real" ones for 2012, the prices for 2011 will give us a good idea of costs - they won't change that much. What may change is availability - some shore-ex's that are available in 2011 may not be for 2012 and 2012 may have some new ones. But as I said, we have some close guidelines now.

Archived