Answers for those excited about Ketchikan

alaskandude

HCF - That is a good price at a $100 but look at contact www.truealaskancharters.com I know these guys really well and think you would have a great time having a personable tour.

DRDADDY- That kayaking trip is fun. Knew some of the guides for them. Bring light but warm clothes. Fleece and a light rain jacket. They supply everything else. And plus you are going to be the ones kayaking and it can be a workout.

Chip and John- Not sure about the bears. Only time we get great views are when they are feeding on the salmon going up the rivers. Salmon stay out in the ocean till about june so not to sure.

jollyvagabond- Duck tour is a good one to see the town but you will have lots of options of tours to choose from once you are at our dock.

brunolvr- I think you will have enough time to see misty. That cat is fast(about 45-55mph) If you book through your cruise ship it makes it that your ship cant leave till you get back.

starlite- Its going to be another warm and sunny year from what everyone is saying. But I would still bring some raingear. For what to do, I am bias. Try fishing, Ketchikan is know as the salmon capitol of the world, and if you hire a local guide you will get a good tour and history of the town. See a lot of eagles and other wildlife.

Anothervirgincruiser- Nope, that is the only crab feed tour. It is expensive huh. There are a lot of other great things to do here. Just up to you.

Keep the questions coming, I can always try and get down to the visitors borough and get you info or I can pass you on to the people that run these tours if you have questions.

HCF - That is a good price at a $100 but look at contact www.truealaskancharters.com I know these guys really well and think you would have a great time having a personable tour.

DRDADDY- That kayaking trip is fun. Knew some of the guides for them. Bring light but warm clothes. Fleece and a light rain jacket. They supply everything else. And plus you are going to be the ones kayaking and it can be a workout.

Chip and John- Not sure about the bears. Only time we get great views are when they are feeding on the salmon going up the rivers. Salmon stay out in the ocean till about june so not to sure.

jollyvagabond- Duck tour is a good one to see the town but you will have lots of options of tours to choose from once you are at our dock.

brunolvr- I think you will have enough time to see misty. That cat is fast(about 45-55mph) If you book through your cruise ship it makes it that your ship cant leave till you get back.

starlite- Its going to be another warm and sunny year from what everyone is saying. But I would still bring some raingear. For what to do, I am bias. Try fishing, Ketchikan is know as the salmon capitol of the world, and if you hire a local guide you will get a good tour and history of the town. See a lot of eagles and other wildlife.

Anothervirgincruiser- Nope, that is the only crab feed tour. It is expensive huh. There are a lot of other great things to do here. Just up to you.

Keep the questions coming, I can always try and get down to the visitors borough and get you info or I can pass you on to the people that run these tours if you have questions.

Thanks for your input. I was hoping the catamaran isn't so fast that you miss seeing the sights! You can send some of that "liquid sunshine" down our way - we're really in need of some!

Hello,

I was wondering if you had any opinions to offer on the semi-submersible tour offered by http://www.alaskaunderseatours.com ? It seems interesting to me, but I haven't found anyone on these boards who has actually tried it.

Also, do you know of companies that offer snorkeling tours other than Alaska Deep Six Dive Center and Snorkel Alaska ?

Thank you!

Vaibhav

I just got a response back from Bruce at True Alaska Charters. He offered a very good deal. We may even take a longer trip out with him. Thanks again.

vvaish- those are the only 2 snorkeling companies I have heard about. The one that goes out to MT. Point ( I think it was Snorkel Alaska got great reviews last year.

HCF- You will have a great time fishing with those guys. Have a blast and good luck pulling up some big ones.

Hey Alaskan Dude...

Ketchikan have any good halibut fishing guides? I live in Oregon, we have salmon aplenty here, but I would love to catch a big old halibut...or a big young halibut... Num Num! Beats salmon hands down in the taste department as for my own personal tastes. You don't read much about halibut fishing, however.

Thanks,

Mitzy

Mitzy,

A couple years ago my son & I went out on a charter from Newport and we each caught 2 in excess of 50 lbs. You might want to look locally. Not expecially slabs, but pretty nice fish.

The year before I fished out of Juneau (in Icy Strait) and all our boat (4 poles) came up with were a bunch of chicken halibut.

jmo

-Monte

Mzoom- Halibut is the best. Plenty of charters out here to take you out. You will need to book yourself to get out Halibut fishing. Try True Alaskan Charters or AK Strike Zone

Cowtec- Not sure about how often they see bears out there. That sanctuary is next to a river that the salmon come up, and where bear feed on them. Might get lucky and see some. There are also bear viewing tours that you fly out to. Probly a lot more expensive

To get to the base of the mountain is about a 20-30 minute walk. A cab ride would be smartest to save time. The hike up the mountain, and I am in OK shape is about 2 hours, going down is about 1. If it is a nice sunny day it is sure worth it. The view is just great.

Alaskandude....

Im also from Ketchikan. Just curious who you were. And an answer to the question about if we were all this friendly. Made me Laugh. We are just bored. Jokes, I have lived here for about 10 years (from Los Angeles) and I think what keeps me on this rock is the people. They have all made me feel like I belong. You will feel that way when you leave also. Id say the only way to get voted off the island would be to NOT use the crosswalks. There alot of people that visit here everyday when the ships are in. Some days there are more visitors then there are locals. It can be very unsafe to cross where there is no crosswalk. Youll love it here. See you when you get here....

I've seen some comments that Ketchikan isn't a good port, but our family really enjoys it. Best totems anywhere, great fishing, nice city for walking tours, convenient tourist info area (at dock), shopping, good dining...What more could we want?

-Monte

Are there any kennerls we could visit in Ketchikan ? We are keen to see huskies, though not as interested in the dog-sled excursions. We're just dog lovers and a kennel visit with a chance to meet some dogs would be great for us.

Thanks,

Vaibhav

Hi alaskandude! Thanks for being so willing to answer questions! I am curious about kayaking in Ketchikan. I can either go to the Tatoosh Islands or Clover Pass with Southeast Exposure (booked through cruise) or Orca Cove with Southeast Sea Kayaks (booked independently). The ORca Cove trip would be much smaller which is preferred, but I'm wondering how the locations differ in terms of wildlife, scenery, etc.

Thanks!

vvaish- No Kennels in Ketchikan. We are on an island and dog sledding is done more up on the main land.

txchica- Both will give you the same oppurtunity for scenery. I fish all the time at Tatoosh and often see whales and eagles. I would go with the smaller group so you get more attention from your guide. Plus those guys are mostly local.

What great information! Alaskandude , what do you know about the Jet Boat trip to Loring from Salmon Falls? We have been to Ketchikan before (and LOVE it) so thought this might be a good way to see more "Backcountry".

Thanks...

vvaish- No Kennels in Ketchikan. We are on an island and dog sledding is done more up on the main land.

what a pity! Never mind, I guess we'll just do snorkeling. Thanks a lot for all the answers.

Vaibhav

Archived