Answers for those excited about Ketchikan

alaskandude

Iamcruznow- Sorry it took so long to get back at you. Been busy:confused: . I think I know those guys. Things change hands often and it is hard to keep up. What the prices are this year I don't know. Gas has a lot to do with it. I know the guys at True Alaskan Charters and know he give his guest a great time. The owner is from a long line of family from this area. His grandfather is a legend up here for killing a man killing bear called Old Groaner. Great story!! Budget Queen fishes with Northern Charters and gives them good props. The good news for you is that this is Ketchikan and the fishing is great whoever you go with. Good luck.

Jrmende63- YOu will have a great time with Sourdough tours. As far as I know they are all local guides, unlike some of those cruise ship tours, and want to show you all of what town has to offer. See you soon.

Will be going to Ketchikan and Juneau on Princess in early July; both have "super" fishing trips (1/2 day), and can only book one, assuming we're not already too late. Is the fishing really great, or are we booking an expensive boat trip? And which would you recommend? We would book through the cruise line, and won't have options as to boat or captain.

Thanks!

Jrmende63- YOu will have a great time with Sourdough tours. As far as I know they are all local guides, unlike some of those cruise ship tours, and want to show you all of what town has to offer. See you soon.

Thanks Alaskan Dude! I appreciate the info. We will be your way on May19th! I can't wait!:D

Dear Alaskandude,

We just found this thread and hope you can make some suggestions. We will be on the Sun Princess 7 day inside passage sailing from Seattle on 5/28/06. We really want to experience the "must see" excursions and we are willing to spend the money to make this a truely memorable cruise.

I've included our ships arrival and departure time for each port.

:D Ketchikan 6:30 am - 4:30 pm

We have been told that Misty Fjords should not be missed and we are thinking of the ship's Misty Fjords Seaplane Exploration which includes 65 minutes flight and 10 minute water landing, or the Misty Fjords Wilderness Cruise Flight which includes a catamaran cruise to the heart of the Misty Fjords Nat. Monument and a 30 minute flight back to Ketchikan.

I have also booked but haven't paid for Island Wings Misty Fjords Flight/Hike with Michelle but we can only do this one if I can find 2 more passengers.

:D Juneau 1:30 pm - 10:00 pm

We've been told not to miss the Glaciers tours and I am thinking that we should consider doing either the ship's 4 Glacier Adventure by Helicopter which includes a touch down on Norris or Taku glacier, or the Helicopter Glacier Walkabout which includes a "pilot's choice" touchdown and a 1 hour glacier walk. Or the Trek which include 2 hours on the glacier (my husband is leaning towards this one)

:D Skagway 6:00 am to 5:00 pm

My husband is really interested in the ships Heli-Hike & Rail Adventure which includes a flight over the Juneau icefield to Glacier Station, a 5 mile hike along remote Skagway River to view Laughton Glacier, then White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad back to Skagway.

:) We really want to land on a glacier and see Misty Fjords. Is there any other "must see" excursions that we are not taking into consideration? My husband would like to fish but only if we don't miss out on seeing as much as we can in the short time we have in these 3 ports! Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Debbie

prescottj- If you book independent you will save money and have I believe a better captain. It is sad but a lot of the boats that work for the cruise lines know that after you leave there boat they wont see you again. An independent make his living showing you a good time and repeat business. They will go that extra mile for you. And where to fish. Ketchikan of course. We are the salmon capitol of the world, and great halibut fishing too.

gvre- wow!! Wish you could take me with you. In Ketchikan I would go with the misty cruise/flight. I think it is best to see misty by boat but with that tour you get both. It is such an amazing area out there. With the time you have in town I would recomened maybe taking a walk to Creek Street which is only 4-5 blocks from the docks. Good local shopping and history there. Then from there you can take the tram up to Cape fox lodge for a cup of local coffee or an Alasnkan beer while you look out the windows with a view of Ketchikan. All real close to your ship so you will not have to worry about getting back on time.

With the other stops I am not to sure. I have heard amazing things about the dog sled tour out of Juneau I think.

Enjoy your trip. Sounds like you are doing it right. The great things about a cruise is that you don't have to worry about a thing but they only give you a tease of our state.

Has anyone actually done the Canopy Adventure at the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary? Is it truly adventurous and worth the money? I've seen posts of people signed up for it but am hoping to hear from someone who has actually done this excursion. Also, is it true that it can only be booked thru the cruiseline?

<<81 days 13 hours until Alaska!>>

I've been to Ketchikan on cruises a couple of times before, and one of the things I've enjoyed most has been watching the salmon returning upstream, including through the fish ladder. My previous trips have been in August and September, but this year I'm going in early June. Am I correct in guessing that will be too early to see returning fish?

Doug

Del67- The last time we were in Ketchikan (the only time until this coming summer) We did the Misty Fjords tour with Island Wings. They were amazing at getting me into the plane as I can not walk or stand. When we landed in the Fjords I did not get off the plane but Michelle turned the plane around so I had a wonderful view. I would highly recomend this. Our DD was 7 at the time and loved the trip. Do not let the wheelchair slow you down just contact independent tour companies and ask them if they can make the trip work and go for you.

Jean

yes. i would like to know too. i think it looks great.

Has anyone actually done the Canopy Adventure at the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary? Is it truly adventurous and worth the money? I've seen posts of people signed up for it but am hoping to hear from someone who has actually done this excursion. Also, is it true that it can only be booked thru the cruiseline?

<<81 days 13 hours until Alaska!>>

Hi Alaskandude,

I think we are being met by family friends in Ketchikan. If not, I will try to book a fishing charter that you have recommended.

If not in Ketchikan, would Haines or Juneau be the better place to try? :confused: I was originally hoping for salmon, but reading the posts here, fishing for halibut sounds like a fun time, too. We will be in Haines July 5, Juneau July 6, and Ketchikan July 7 on the Veendam. Thanks for the good advice on visiting your beautiful land. :)

majormomma- Not to promote my town as the best but for salmon fishing we are at the top of the list. We are known as the salmon capitol of the world. Another great thing about fishing in Ketchikan is that the fish are close. That goes for halibut fishing too. I know a lot of people say you got to fish for 8+ hours for halibut but I have seen that is not true. It is hard to explain without showing you a chart of our waters. I think the sportfishing salmon is good in Juneau but not to sure how good the halibut fishing will be. Good luck on the fishing and enjoy Ketchikan know matter what you do.:)

Are There Any Good Shopping Places Within Walking Distance From The Peir?? If you could suggest 1 must see thing there what would it be?? I know we want to go whale watching, fishing and ride the train, but I don't have the paper in front of me so I'm not sure which port we are doing what at???? I Will Be On The Ncl Star 08/13/06

Thanks

lighthouse lover- I have never been out to the lighthouse but have fished next to it many times. I have heard good things about the tour though. I think they bus you out to ward cove which is about 10 miles north of town. They load you up in there boats for a couple hour tour. Nice area there. Out of town, with a bith chance of seeing marine wildlife.

just cruizin- Well like I have wrote before I recommened fishing Ketchikan the salmon capitiol of the world. As for the shopping every store is in walking distance of the ships. If you want to visit more of the local stores I recommened a 3-4 block walk to creek street. Dolly's house is there, and a lot og cool stores.

lighthouse lover- I have never been out to the lighthouse but have fished next to it many times. I have heard good things about the tour though. I think they bus you out to ward cove which is about 10 miles north of town. They load you up in there boats for a couple hour tour. Nice area there. Out of town, with a bith chance of seeing marine wildlife.

just cruizin- Well like I have wrote before I recommened fishing Ketchikan the salmon capitiol of the world. As for the shopping every store is in walking distance of the ships. If you want to visit more of the local stores I recommened a 3-4 block walk to creek street. Dolly's house is there, and a lot og cool stores.

Anybody have any recommendations on who to book a seaplane misty fjords thingie through? I've found a few, including the ship's excursions, and all seem to be in the neighborhood of 200-230. Are there any differences amongst them/any recommended tour operators? Thanks for any advice. Not sure if it makes any difference,but this will be on 9/16.

Thanks!

Trying to choose between "Best of Ketchikan by Land and Sea" and the "Back country jet boat adventure"....anyone have any input on those two? One thing I thought was interesting about the "Back country jet boat adventure" was the ghost town (Loring?) but I don't know if they actually stop there? or whats left of the town? Thanks for any info!!!

MD

We will be on the Island Princess in Ketchican on May 27. We have booked for a cruise to Misty Fjords, no floatplane. It will be $137.50 pp including the taxes. We will have the Princess cruise group that takes the float plane join our day cruise for the second half of their excursion. I think the floatplane sounds fun but it is very pricey at $299 pp for a family of 4. Go to www.goldbelttours.com to get more info if you are interested. They have a toll-free phone number. I talked to David. Alaskan Dude commented that the Cruise lines have exclusive rights to these tours. The reason I was able to book independently is that this cruise only option is not offered in the Princess Shore excursion guide, but David at Goldbelt said the Princess group would be on the same boat as us after their flight. ( at least the first half of my day cruise should not be crowded!! ). Also, I have been led to believe that you need to book ahead for this. Does anyone know if it is safe to wait?

I'm considering the Misty Fjords cruise also (we did a floatplane last year).

Do you have the times for this cruise? We'll be in Ketchikan on July 25 from 6:30 am til 4:00 pm.

I've checked out their website, but no times are given, just 6.5 hours.

thanks for the True Alaskan Charters info. I have emailed and gotten a reply and we might book with them. They are willing for the four of us on a boat with no one else. And that is something we were looking into too. Your information is fantastic. :D :D :D

Archived