Need Advice with Airfare for Victory Cruise 5/29!

sgriff17

[color=black]I am helping a friend plan an anniversary cruise for their 1 year since they were unable to take a honeymoon because her husband got deployed and is currently stationed in Iraq. They will be sailing on the Victory 5/29. When looking for airfare, we found a non-stop flight into Miami for $304/per person. I know this is the most IDEAL situation, but...The other option is also flying in the morning of, but flying into Ft. Lauderdale with a layover in Cincinnati. The flight is estimated to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at 11:45 am. This flight is only $218/ per person. That is almost a $100 savings per person. [/color]

[color=black] [/color]

[color=black]Personally, my FI would never fly down the morning of a cruise unless it is a direct flight, but my friend is stating since it is such a huge savings, why not take the flight with a layover. They could use the money for excursions, etc. [/color]

[color=black] [/color]

[color=black]I am stuck between a rock in a hard spot and don't know what to say to her. Any advice would be great! [/color]

[color=black] [/color]

[color=black]On our past 3 cruises: 1 we flew down the morning before, 1 the morning of with a layover in Orlando with no problems, and the last 1 flew down the night before.[/color]

[color=black] [/color]

[color=black]What should I tell her? [/color]

[color=black] [/color]

[color=black]Thank you[/color]

[color=black]Ash[/color]

[color=black](Mrs. SGriff17)[/color]

Ash, They probably won't have weather problems, BUT, it's never worth the savings to me for layovers and connecting flights- too many possibilities. The last time I did this on Delta (1.5 hr in Atlanta) I was exhausted amd miserable by the time I boarded. I even stopped flying in the same day ( my gray hair turned white lol). I'd chalk up the extra $200 to peace of mind.

Being from Dayton, a lot of our flights have a lay over in Cincinnati. Out of our last 4 flights we have NEVER gotten out of Cincy on time. Once was a brake problem on AA other times were weather related. Usually the in coming flight was delayed from other airports making our plane leave late. We always fly in the day before.

Try this website for flights [url]http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/[/url] log in as a guest. Some airlines still charge a $5.00 added charge to the price listed.

Also check on military discounts.

Hope this helps!

Drive an hour east down to Newport News and you can fly Air Tran for $197. They are a very nice airline and are worth checking out. We live down here in Hampton and always check Richmond prices as well for our flights. They are always more expensive flying from there.

or drive 2 hours north and fly jet blue out of DC for $160 :D

all in all sometimes the hastle of driving or getting a ride to the airport isnt worth it... but if you are willing to... jet blue is 79 each way

Well actually they can get a Delta Ticket to Ft. Lauderdale for $198/per person with military discount leaving Richmond at 6:30 am and arriving in Ft. Lauderdale at 11:45 with 1 1/2 hour layover in Cin. The flight home would be a non-stop from Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks everyone!

Both Air Tran and Southwest were options from Norfolk & Newport News, but both have connections.

Archived