Obsessing about Weather

gooch47

Good thinking and fast work, Linda. I hope you get out and have a safe flight. We booked our flights through Atlanta on this trip thinking we might avoid winter weather - but they have had problems too :eek: It looks like we might finally get hammered this time around. So far we have not had much snow in West Michigan this winter.

...It will actually work out for the best, I think, since our ice storm is supposed to ease up around noon.

We first must drive 2-3 hours to get to the airport and we have a flight out at 5:00 pm tomorrow. So far so good in that, the weather man now says that the real problem part of the storm will only arrive at about 6:00 pm. So we have this one-hour window of opportunity. Hope to see you aboard the Golden.

Hopefully you'll be ok. We always fly out a day ahead. Learned our lesson one February. As everyone is worrying about the next two days, we fly out on Sat from JFK and now they are calling for snow Sat:eek:

Already called Delta and that day is not on their "advisory" list just yet. But I could pay $183 pp to change now. I already upgraded to business and paid that change to surprise DH awhile back.

Will keep an eye on the website and call to make a switch for Fri if possible as I took a day early off to relax. Some relaxation!

Really? I guess we are lucky.

There is definitely ice on the roads this morning. All schools around here are closed. South of us they are on a 2-hour delay. I heard the salt truck go down our street about 4:00 this morning. Yes, I wasn't sleeping.

I've also been hearing airplanes. I logged into the Port Columbus site and many, many flights were cancelled for this morning, but not for this afternoon.

If they do cancel our flight this afternoon we'll have to make a decision to try to go tomorrow morning. If not, how does it work with Princess Insurance. We have the Platinum level insurance (for Elite members). I assume we call them, cancel and then have to do ... something????

Linda: Fingers and toes crossed for you today. Be sure and post when you get there!

I like the sound of that "when."

Boring you yet?

Our radar shows a big break between now and later this afternoon. Our flight is showing "on time" but that is usually a crock even in the best of weather. That far out, who knows.

Our biggest issue right now is if 1) our BIL still takes us (he is 72 and DH isn't sure he wants him on the roads, 2) we take a cab, or 3) we drive and have our DD pick the car up at the airport when the ice clears. We have a combination push button lock on the door and could lock the keys inside.

I wonder if the ship will leave on time tomorrow? I'm betting not. It takes quite a while for the airports to get back in sync after something like this.

If I was in Columbus right now, I could drive you to the airport, but unfortunately, I'm in NW Ohio. Not that you'd get in the car of a complete stranger !! And by the way, we don't have the ice that I've heard Columbus had this AM. Apparently the Dispatch wasn't even delivered....that's a first for us.

Could you drive to another airport to catch a flight if you have to? Having said that, I don't know of any nearby airport is any better off. You might have to go waaay south to get out of the ice/freezing rain.

Hope you get out of Columbus before the second level starts. And then the cold will hit us and you'll be in the sun !!

If your flight is still on, you should be on your way to the airport now. Good Luck !!

As I am sitting here, looking out the window, there is more snow to come....and the zillionth time we have snow blown our property...But, I am thanking my lucky stars that we are going to miss the brunt of this HUGE storm, for once.

<<crossing fingers for the OP>>>

Am hoping your flight is on time...and have a wonderful cruise!

Here in L.A., it was a bit chilly this morning but is now a whopping 65 degrees and dry. I know for some of you that would be a "heat wave!"

I hope that all of you who have cruises and travel on your horizon's get to where you're going and that all your vacations are pleasant and worry-free!

Well, I told you all I had nothing to worry about ... that I'd make it here with no problems. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But we did. Both flights were more or less on time but absolutely packed with people. The flight from Columbus was only one of four to anywhere that made it out today. Tomorrow doesn't look much better.

Thanks for putting up with me.

Glad to hear that you made it OK. I'm sitting here listening to the wind howl and looking at a 4' (and growing) snow drift outside the front door, but I will take it over the ice storms that are happening south of us. Enjoy your vacation.

Glad to hear you made it safely!

What is this world coming to? Major storms in US and a major cyclone (Yasi) in Northern Queensland. My thoughts go out to all our CC friends in Northern Queensland Australia.

I am currently watching it all happen live on TV. Thank goodness I am in South Australia and safe...

Chez

Add two more lucky passengers to the Golden. The travel industry yesterday was totally maxed out. But we would have doubts about anyone headed here to San Pedro from the Eastern Seaboard. We have our pick of the shuttle schedule to the ship here at the Doubletree which tells us there might be a few who didn't make it.

Archived