Freedom 1/23 West...my comments ****

bildoug

Graham will be back from vacation March 27th. We were on the 1/9 sailing of the FOS and talked with him then. I found out we would both be getting back on the ship the same day. This will be our 4th cruise with him. I think he's just brillant. Lynda

Lynda, thank you. What great news!!!

Erika

going on Freedom in april for first cruise ever with husband and 2 teens, ages 13 and 15. Thanks for your review - heard only great things about the ship. Do you know about Mr. Sanchos, an all inclusive in Cozumel? What about the stingray/snorkel excursion in Grand Cayman? I am thinking about bringing my own bottle of vodka in my suitcase - we are driving, not flying to port, so wondering if this will be a problem. You mentioned prices of bottles on board...didn't realize you can buy alcohol by the bottle. Would love the price of top shelf vodka if you have that. Also, what's your take on bringing my own bottle with me? Trying to save some money as we are already over budge! Thank you.

You are not permitted to bring alcohol on the ship with you.

Since you are sailing during spring break season, you should expect them to be super-vigilant.

The bottles that you can buy on board will be held for you and given to you for disembarkation, usually on the last night, but there are times (like spring break! ;)) when they make you get it on disembarkation morning.

Please budget for your gratuities, if you have not already pre-paid them with your cruisefare.

Simply put this cruise was excellent from beginning to end. This was our 19th cruise(RCCL, Princess, Carnival) and...

- food (quality/selection),

- ship appearance/condition, MAGNIFICENT!!

- crew( Cruise Director and Master (Captain) very sociable and approachable,

- crew... cabin, wait staff and all were helpful, friendly and personable

- entertainment (RccL singers and dancers and Osmond Brothers)

- embarkation/debarkation...very fast and efficient

.....all above EXCELLENT and exceeded our expectations.

- Cabin 9404 starboard aft corner, excellent views w/2 chairs, lounger and small table.

- Children under 16 - 18, not many and not an issue!(some people make it sound as if there are unsafe decks or corridors with marauding kids...not true.

- Ports of call, all typical cruiser trappings. Cozumel is fun( shopping, Mex culture and of course, bars (look up Mr. Chili's for good food and $1 beers), Ocho Rios is a pit (be careful) hopefully Falmouth well be better, Labadee exceptional investment by RCCL to make this a great private "island" w/beautiful beaches, zip line and coaster.

If you are booked or considering a booking on the Freedom you have made an excellent choice. Wish I was still on board!!! Questions, just ask. I have on board bottle liquor pricing if needed. Ship pricing beat most port pricing though the selection is more limited.

I couldn't agree more! My last cruise onboard Freedom was the best Royal Caribbean cruise I've taken. Graham Seymour is way too funny, a really great person who does a great job!

We just got off of Freedom on Sunday after doing the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. We had a wonderful time and were very happy with all the service on the ship.

We are scheduled to go on Freedom (Eastern) in 3 1/2 weeks. However, after reading so many mixed reviews I'm worried I made a mistake booking this one. We've not done one of the larger ships and was really excited about it.

I've read that Graham Seymour has gone on vacation and will not be on my sailing. :( Kirk Detwiller is the current CD and he did a fine job.

That the food and service have not been very good. :(

Our service was outstanding. So much so that I increased our tip for our head waiter by almost 100%. The food itself was very good. Our party of four had no complaints at all.

That kids have overrun the ship :(.

Hardly even saw the kids, and there were over 600 on our sailing. The pirate parade down the promenade was adorable.

That Chops and Portofino have changed their menus and don't have the favorites anymore and are not as good as they were. :(

St. Thomas will have 7 ships in port while we are there and will be very crowded :(

There were five large ships there the day we were in St. Thomas and it was not an issue. Just book your excursion through the ship and you will be fine. May I reccomned the Turtle Island Snorkle? Ask for Chris and Christine in the Doubloon Pirate Ship. It was an awesome excursion.

Did I make a mistake booking this ship and cruise?

Absolutely not!!

Just got back 2/6 off FOS - It was FANTASTICALLY AWESOME!!

The weather was sunny everyday - no problem with crowds while in St. Thomas, we spotted the Osmonds and had a quick chat with them, they were so very nice! We went to St. John and did the eco-hike and beach excursion, Seth was our guide and really great! The children on board were well behaved and a delight especially the pirate parade! There were always available chairs to sit in anywhere we went on board, never felt crowded. Wait staff was delightful in MDR, even though we didn't finish with our meal until after 9:30-10 - time flew by we were having fun! Our head waiter was very attentive and so nice. He found that we liked a certain dessert that wasn't on the menu and brought it to us. We spotted Charlie Pride and others it was a "grand ole opry cruise" for some. No complaints with mini golf, it was in good shape. Kirk Detweiler, cruise director was very good!! No complaints at all!! Perfect!!

• 3 weeks later...
I probably have compasses (Western) and menus, but it will take me a while to get them scanned. I actually found menus in another thread. I posted the link below. Go up to "food" in the menu bar. The menus on my FOS trip were the same, just a little out of order... Our waiter recommended that we go to Chops on Wednesday night, it was Italian night.

What times were the nightly shows for the Freedom Western itinerary, as I will want to make MTD reservations in advance and will schedule dinner so as not to miss them! Was there only one show the first night, and the other nights 2? May be interested in a 7:00 time, but maybe earlier the first night.

Archived