FoS with 11 month old - Definitive Points of Advice List

LeinsterLegend

Hi All. I'm in a pickle. I cruise with my 11 month old son on FoS in May (family celebration). I live in Europe so will be flying transatlantic and overnighting in Florida before the cruise followed by 3 nights staying in Florida (near Disney) after the cruise.

I've read so many posts about cruising with an 11 month old but I need to plan for everything due to all the travel. I just found out I can buy nappies on board the cruise so I dont have to pack a tonne and pay the additional airline fees. Using inflatable tubs as swimming pools is a genius idea.

I'm guessing there are loads of great ideas out there that we can pull together and produce a master list. If people post tips every now and then I'll update a mater list for everyone, creating the Definitive cruising with a 1 year old out of Florida tip list

I cant bring too much for DS by plane so I'm hoping I can buy much of it close to the port (Port Canaveral) on the day of the cruise (Sunday) - if you know where please let me know that too. Thanks so much to anyone who contributes.

LL

I would never count on being able to find the type/size of diapers you want on board. IMO, it's far better to make sure you bring on everything you think you will need. You can just purchase a big box before you board, and put a name tag on it.

RCI does have a program where you can purchase diapers to be aboard for you....you order in advance. However...they are more expensive than in any store.

Since you are making a stop to purchase other things, I'd just buy the diapers then, too!

Regardless of whether the cruiseline supplies you with baby food, we learned quickly to bring our own. Cereal, jarred food -- anything they ate at home, we brought. On one cruise, the ship only had one kind of veggie, one kind of fruit, one kind of meat. And it happened to be stuff they wouldn't eat. I know others say they will puree anything in the dining room, you need to be confident they will eat it.

Even milk was an issue -- one ship didn't have any whole milk...only 2%.

We learned to pack everything. EVERYTHING.

You may want to "google map" the location of the nearest Target, Kmart and/or Wal-Mart (or at least the nearest Walgreens or CVS Pharmacy) to your cruise departure port. There may be different regional discount stores but these are the names you'll find nationally. Then put together a list of consumables (knowing that the brands you may be familiar with at home are likely not all available in the states). I would include diapers, wipes, cereal, juice, baby food, HBA items, and snacks. Plan on getting these things "locally" prior to your cruise.

As to non-consumables:

• Minimum 1.5 changes of clothes per travel day. Pack whole outfits in 2-gal zipper top bags.
  • Minimum of 1 Pajama per 1.5 nights of travel -- should be able to reuse a few of them over the course of the trip, but try not to count on it.
  • Pack-n-play and bedding. If you are using the ships portable crib (generally a Pack-n-play), bring your own bedding -- a couple of sets.
  • Swimmer-type diapers -- even though most ship's swimming areas cannot accommodate them, your hotel's pool may and if you are visiting any beaches.
  • Stroller - use on board and in port. Bigger wheels are generally better on the uneven pavement common in many tourist spots.
  • A spare bag that you can use as a spare diaper bag in a pinch and/or a second carry along bag.
  • Toys - beach toys if you plan to spend time of the beach (you may be able to pick these up at the discount store where you get your consumables from).
    Travel toys - linking rings, small stuffed toys, toddler wheeled toys, board books -- things that can keep your child occupied while seated on the plane or at dinner.
    Crib toy - if your child has a regular lovey or something else he/she uses to comfort herself, bring it (when our DD showed a marked preference for one particular stuffed bunny, we went out and bought two more and rotated them -- so we had less of a risk of losing her "nuben"

It's a drop in the bucket -- it's been nearly 15 years since I had a 1YO of my own, but right now I have had 8 nieces and nephews under 2YO and most of my friends have grandkids that age.

General

• Dont trust the diapers / nappies on board
  • Bring your own baby food
  • Inflatable tubs for bathing and swimming for little one

Specific

1. Minimum 1.5 changes of clothes per travel day. Pack whole outfits in 2-gal zipper top bags.
  2. Minimum of 1 Pajama per 1.5 nights of travel -- should be able to reuse a few of them over the course of the trip, but try not to count on it.
  3. Pack-n-play and bedding. If you are using the ships portable crib (generally a Pack-n-play), bring your own bedding -- a couple of sets.
  4. Swimmer-type diapers -- even though most ship's swimming areas cannot accommodate them, your hotel's pool may and if you are visiting any beaches.
  5. Stroller - use on board and in port. Bigger wheels are generally better on the uneven pavement common in many tourist spots.
  6. A spare bag that you can use as a spare diaper bag in a pinch and/or a second carry along bag.
  7. Toys - beach toys if you plan to spend time of the beach (you may be able to pick these up at the discount store where you get your consumables from).
    Travel toys - linking rings, small stuffed toys, toddler wheeled toys, board books -- things that can keep your child occupied while seated on the plane or at dinner.
    Crib toy - if your child has a regular lovey or something else he/she uses to comfort herself, bring it (when our DD showed a marked preference for one particular stuffed bunny, we went out and bought two more and rotated them -- so we had less of a risk of losing her "nuben"

Since your trip is going to be quite long, don't forget that the ships do have laundry facilities. Although it's a bit of pain to do, you can pack less and just do a load of laundry.

Also as I recall, there is a Super Wal-Mart about 2 miles from Port Canaveral. You can get just about anything you'd need there including an extra bag to carry your baby items on the ship.

I echo IttaBit. There is a Super Wal-Mart near Port Canaveral (1500 E Merritt Island Causeway, Merritt Island, FL 32952) where you pick up supplies the night before.

I've cruised FOS with my daughter twice, at 9 months (2009) & 18 months (2010) so I could answer some ship-specific questions if you have any.

As for swimming on FOS, there is a baby pool where kids in swim diapers can swim. Parents must remain with the child. I would recommend bringing a few pool toys to keep them busy, as there isn't much to do in the pool.

When we went to Chops, our server told us the chef saw us bring my DD to dinner and offered to puree peas & sweet potatoes for her. In the MDR, our waiters brought mashed potatoes and mac & cheese every night for my DD. The ship also had whole milk in the Windjammer everyday.

There are no self-laundry facilities on FOS. Instead on one night, there is an offer to fill a bag with laundry and the ship will launder for you, for a fee (can't remember how much, though I know the prices are posted on Cruise Critic).

Since your trip is going to be quite long, don't forget that the ships do have laundry facilities. Although it's a bit of pain to do, you can pack less and just do a load of laundry.

Also as I recall, there is a Super Wal-Mart about 2 miles from Port Canaveral. You can get just about anything you'd need there including an extra bag to carry your baby items on the ship.

Royal Caribbean ships do NOT have self serve laundries on their ships. Laundry has to be sent out, for a charge, if you want to wash clothes.

Archived